Revive dead hardware?

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Gents:

My 7-yo "backup" Linux box died. It's an M2N/AMD5400/GF_9400 system (full tower) that ran U_10.04LTS like its big 3-yo quad cousin.

First I started to get "hangs" at the motherboard splash-screen, then simply no power at all delivered to the system when turned on. I'm guessing the (Antec-450 ) power supply went bad. The question is should I just replace the power supply ...(assuming that's it) .... or take a clue and upgrade. Of-course if the MOBO is toast then I must upgrade. I've been **saving** that older full-tower-case for a serious new system, but the INTEL price/power swamp-pit has discouraged me; and my AMD_965 system swiftly and smoothly does everything I ask it to do.

Is there some rational upgrade "in.betwee.ner" I am not considering?

Why not buy the PSU that you would need for a new build and try it in the old machine? If that solves the problem then you have saved a lot of money. If not, then you've got the first component of your new build. It seems a shame to junk working hardware if it's just a broken PSU.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Yes, your idea does kill-two-birds ... with one new PS. True -- the system is old ( though actually about 40% as fast as a new 2700-K system ) and a new power supply (700-W ?) would be the base of a new system. But, if the old mobo/cpu is fine, then I can nurse that along for another year hoping (irrationally) that AMD will produce a (cough cough) competitive CPU!

TRENDING THREADS