Boot 2 Gecko is now Firefox OS

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Quick, if I collapse from excitement, course of CPR and grab me a Firefox phone will fix it right up.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2188532/mozilla-renames-boot-gecko-firefox-announces-operator-backing

SOFTWARE DEVELOPER Mozilla has secured support for its Firefox OS from a number of mobile operators including Deutsche Telekom and Telefonica.

Mozilla's Firefox OS, which was previously known as Boot to Gecko, has been in the works for some time, with the firm claiming it allows HTML5 applications greater access to the underlying operating system. Now Deutsche Telekom, Etisalat, Smart, Sprint, Telecom Italia, Telefonica and Telenor have given Firefox OS their support, and ZTE has said that it will build a device that runs the operating system.

ZTE said its Firefox OS devices will use Qualcomm Snapdragon processors with devices expected to tip up in early 2012 in Brazil. Mozilla said that its Firefox OS can be significantly tweaked by mobile operators that want to ship smartphones in the cheaper end of the market, meaning users can expect a good amount of bloatware.

Gary Kovacs, CEO of Mozilla said, "The introduction of the open mobile OS continues the Mozilla mission to promote openness, innovation and opportunity on the Web for users and developers. As billions of users are expected to come online for the first time in the coming years, it is important to deliver a compelling smartphone experience that anyone can use."

While Apple and Google have the mid and high-end smartphone market sewn up, Mozilla could see its Firefox OS become a hit in the high-volume low-end market, taking over a market that Nokia presently dominates.

that's fantastic. it still pains me to see companies trying to develop their own mobile phone software instead of using free ones like android and now firefox OS. why reinvent the wheel??

on a side note my aunt just bought an old fashioned dumb flip-phone from Verizon for something close to $100. I think it was $60 after mail in rebate. I just wanted to smack her and say "Didn't you see the Droid Razr for $100 next to it?" Now she's going around the house taking all sorts of 640x480 pictures with her new camera phone. <facepalm>

Your Aunt may be low res but she also avoids paying for data used purely to serve her adverts, numerous organisations profiling her usage and surfing habits and to top it all will be able to charge her phone every couple of weeks rather than every day. Most folks simply don't need a smartphone.

As for b2g becoming FF OS I'm wondering if it's time to invest in Ram stocks.

You're always on a loosing battle when having to use double long just to hold the version number ;)

Seriously though, I do hope something comes of it. It's what mobile web applications were supposed to be before Jobs put the App into Apple and as suckers we all bought in.