Wireless router constantly "reboots"

74scamp

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
I've poked around trying to diagnose a wireless router problem, and while most problems posted stem from interference, I don't think this one does - and I haven't found any other related issues searching and trolling.

My problem is the router appears to "reboot" about every five minutes. Goes out, comes back, and the connection picks up. I work for a little while and, boom, there it goes again. This is a recent occurance (over the past four weeks) on a six month old router.

Yes, I've updated the firmware. Yes, I've switched channels. Yes, I've cycled the "modem"....waited....cycled the router....waited....turned on the laptop. Still no help.

ISP - Comcast cable w/ SB4200 SURFboard Cable "Modem"
Wireless Router - 802.11g Netgear WGR614 v6
Firmware - Version 2.0.19_1.0.19 (North America & Worldwide versions) - May. 8, 2007

Connecting via Cat5 to Cable "Modem" (NO router) - no problems
Connecting via Cat5 to Router (via Cat5 to Cable "Modem") - LOTS OF PROBLEMS
Connecting via wireless - LOTS OF PROBLEMS

Any help would be appreciated as my wife is a primary user and is none too happy. My marriage will thank you :).

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Take the router back sounds defective. If the problem started after the firmware update you could switch it back to the way it was before the update otherwise just take it back (if wireless and wired are going out it must be a seriously defective). Things break it sucks but it happens.

74scamp

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
Thank you very much for your response. It has occured before and after the firmware update. The weird thing that I didn't mention is sometimes it works well for awhile (meaning: like it supposed to) and sometimes it goes through it's reboot thing.

I doubt either of those point are going to change your assessment, and frankly, I was worried that that was going to be the answer. Thanks again.

jay11762

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Hey just wondering if you ever solved the problem. I am going through that now. and it seems to be only when I access it with my netbook, not my laptop (at least as far as I can tell). I also use it as an access point only (DHCP turned off)

arielcarlos

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
its not the firm ware its not the device itself has the problem. I had one tplink its reboots after every 5 minutes. I found out that i am using an adapter much higher amps than the need of the router.

My tplink router power input is 9v 850 amp ac then I use 12v 1000A adaptor at it reboots every 5 mins. the reason why sometimes it works well is that the overall voltage in the whole house is not what it is to be. I changed my adaptor to 7.5 1000a 7.5ac and boom its works well