merz00

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I have 2 HDs: 15G IDE & 200G 16mb cache SATA, both Maxtor.
I'm thinking maybe my old 15G is dying out, although I've been having similar problems ever since (few months ago) I upgraded my memory from 2x512mb from a brand unknown and adding 512mb of Kingmax value. I made sure the Kingmax was compatible with my existing 1gig of random name memory, bought a 512mb stick to bring home to test. I installed it, system recognized the addition, but not long after, I started getting blue screens' crashes, along with NTLDR is missings before bootup. I took out the new RAM, it was still crashing. I tried running the system on 1x512mb of both of the original chips, still crashing. I ended up buying another 2x512mb of the Kingmax to replace the old chips. My system ran alright then on, for a short while. Now itt seems that only a few months after the RAM replacement, my old 15G IDE drive is making be-beep noises and occasionally 'grinding' on startup, with my mobo struggling and failing to register the drive itself, and NTLDR is missing. I did a bit of research, and my HD is probably in critical condition. So I tried to remove this HD and running the machine on just my primary SATA, and I get NTLDR is missing everytime. Sometimes I'll get the beeps, for several minutes after I resume from a standby, and my HD will just disappear from Windows. My computer will not seem to boot up after I remove the IDE (NTLDR missing). Sometimes I get the message even with it plugged in. I couldn't find a diagnostic program on the Maxtor site, for my 15G IDE model. Could anybody recommend a good program to run diagnostics on my HD? ALSO my mobo may have somehow downgraded its bios version from 1006 to 1001. I tried to install 1007 with the appropriate drivers, using Asus autoupdate, and it doesn't work.

Sys specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0ghz
Asus A8N-VM CSM
1.5gig Kingmax value DDR
Maxtor 15gig IDE + 200gig SATA
GFX card ATI X800XL 256mb
Thermaltake 430W PSU
Samsung DVD RW

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
This is from Microsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320397

If you can back everything up, I'd do a clean, full format, reinstall of Windows. I know what a pain it is to reinstall Windows but sometimes that's just the best solution. After the install I'd try to upgrade the BIOS. Given you used the ASUS BIOS upgrade program there is a good chance Windows corrupted it.