wanna buy a dead cpu

I've got an AthlonMP 2400 that died of heat exhaustion in a poorly ventilated case on a hot summer's day a number of years ago. I keep as a nostalgic memory as one of my first SMP builds, but I'm willing to let it go. PM me with your address, I'll ship it to you.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
one man's garbage is another man's treasure! :) he might need to practice lapping, just a thought...

I have lots of dead CPU's from 8087 to Pentium Pro that I cut that bottom off with a dremel and expose the circuitry and mounted them in a shadow box. Turned out very cool, people always stop and have lean in and peek inside each one. ...ok, I was bored

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I'm not even sure If I'd try to attemp the lapping on my old P4 2.66 for practice.

I do have a broken PIII 800, but ummmm... it doesn't have an IHS, and it was the slot type. :lol:

Maybe he's thinking of making CPU key chains!! :D

Or

Maybe hes doing a David Blaine trick, where he'll eat a CPU, chew it up, then pull a CPU all back together through his belly button, in working order.....

:oops: . o O (Oh NM)

Valdis

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
yeah, basically i just want to practice lapping and im also interested taking them apart and looking into them with a powerful microscope. also a cool idea i had was to glue on a belt. and im interested into those that have a heatspreader(is that what it is) i mean:

like this

ClosepicAthlon3800.jpg

NOT like this

L_Intel-600EB-256-133-1.65V%20(FC-PGA).jpg

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I'd make a keychain if I had a dead CPU. That'd be bloody awesome.

I remember seeing someone doing it, but I kinda didn't like the way they did it, where they cut off all the pins, and left it pretty bare.

Although I did see a way done that looked more appealing, with Clear Resin, like:

386.jpg

Which I found awhile back:

eVintageworld

Lacostiade

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
i had a dead 9200 pro from sapphire. I through it away, but next time it stays with me, ill try to remove it off the PCB and see what i can do with it. I also read an article where companies like intel open defunct dies to expose the circuits and sell them as jewellery. Anybody with a dead CPU can do that too.

N3N3SYS

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Well, after many years of experience in IT hardware I found a way to extract the silicon chip from every package intact! This includes cpu, ram, chipsets, gpu and more. It is very interesting to see clearly every part of a cpu die. I have a quite big collection of chips. If by any chance you are interested in having a chip, please message me! My email is: axlotl2002@yahoo.gr

And some pics
chip027.jpg

chip068.jpg

chip043.jpg

chip041.jpg

chip035.jpg

Salimm

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
how about a necklace made out of dies, or a ring of old chips? Think historic value... Might have something here. Some people might like to wear the chip they got a kick out of programming at uni. around their neck in a silver or some sort of necklace or ring or bracelet. c'mon intel sell all your duds to the jewellery markets to make them into jewelery. keychains with packaging are so boring.. perhaps intel is scared that people might learn their secrets if they release the die. but then it's quite simple to chop a chip and extract the die, did it myself with a dud 386 and mounted it onto a gold chain, pins and all. very nostalgic for me 'cos it brings me happy memories of programming it at register level at uni...

thanks for the time, i know i'm crazy n' all that but i think 'tis a vertical market for all chip makers to turn their duds into jewellery!

i want to buy it from argos, so get a move on..

fahdh2

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
How about a dead Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13ghz processor? I electrocuted it with static shock after I touched a swith in my house (house has a lot of static). It only died about 2 weeks ago.