Sign in with
Your question

BackTrack USB Installation Problem

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
July 7, 2012 7:30:48 PM

Hey folks,

I'm running Mac OS X Lion, and I've been trying to boot BackTrack onto a 16gb memory stick for the last couple days... It has not worked.
Terminal use is fairly easy for me as I'm familiar with bash. However, doing everything as it should be done, my computer (a late 2011 MBP) does not recognize the drive in the boot loader on restart. (Holding the Alt key while booting)

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but this is what I have been doing:

Convert the .iso file to .img using the convert option of hdiutil (e.g., hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ~/path/to/target.img ~/path/to/BackTrack.iso)

Run diskutil list to determine drive name of USB drive

Run diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN (replace N with the disk number from the last command; in the previous example, N would be 2)

Execute sudo dd if=/path/to/downloaded.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m (replace /path/to/downloaded.img with the path where the image file is located; for example, ./BackTrack.img or ./BackTrack.dmg)

Run diskutil eject /dev/diskN and remove your flash media when the command completes

*Paraphrased from the Ubuntu USB installation guide*
--------

Guys, where am I going wrong?
July 8, 2012 8:46:08 AM

Quote:
Convert the .iso file to .img

Ok I will just stop you right there. Its overly apparent that you absolutely do not have enough knowledge to use backtrack effectively. If you are just using it to use scripts to 'hack' someones wifi you will not receive any more help.
m
l
!