What does "attrib -c ntldr" do?

atomicluis

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
My friend was getting the error message: ntldr compressed.

So, I booted from the Windows CD and entered the Repair utility and run the following:

cd \
attrib -c ntldr
exit

It fixed the problem, the system was able to boot, but now my friend is saying that some files are missing (music, pics) pretty much his "Documents" folder is empty...

I did not format/delete any partitions on the HDD

What does this command do? attrib -c ntldr???

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
chances are that you should run a chkdsk /f in a command prompt, it sounds like there is some corruption on his harddrive which may have caused his images to dissappear, chkdsk may remedy this although my advice is that if chkdsk reports any 'bad sectors' he should buy a new Hard disk.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
for future reference:

H:\>attrib /?
Displays or changes file attributes.

ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A ] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [drive:][path][filename]
[/S [/D]]

+ Sets an attribute.
- Clears an attribute.
R Read-only file attribute.
A Archive file attribute.
S System file attribute.
H Hidden file attribute.
[drive:][path][filename]
Specifies a file or files for attrib to process.
/S Processes matching files in the current folder
and all subfolders.
/D Processes folders as well.

chaitray

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
some files are missing (music, pics) pretty much his "Documents" folder is empty...

The files are not missing nor the folder is empty. You have to take ownership of the folder/files in order to access it.

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:

Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?
All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Chaitra Yale

theedman22

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Hi, I have the same problem Compressed Ntldr file and I used your good instructions C:\attrib -c ntldr. I used it with both c: (boot file) and h: (main files) on an hp computer . Neither worked. It said that "the parameter format was an incorrect -" I was a bit surprised. The negative c just ain't working for me. Any other suggestions please. And then when I get it to work it says "SH" underneath what I just typed in and then the "C: ntdlr" on the other side. I just don't get it. :)

Eddie

theedman22

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Thanks Hawkeye, but check out the very first thread on this posting:
cd \
attrib -c ntldr
exit

See the "attrib -c ntdr"? My computer says that -c is in invalid switch. It won't accept it. I have tried to find something else that will work as a reversal of that attribute, but don't know what else to use (even from Flakes discriptions).

When I run a "show volume" in the command prompt it says that my c drive is the boot drive and my H drive is the main drive. Have tried to use that "formula" on both drives. Neither works.

Have looked at that "cd\" to figure out how to type it in. What I've done so far hasn't been understood by the computer. I don't really understand how to type it in so the computer will recognize it. Do I type it just like it is? And then the second line, just like it is there?

When it works, I get an SH (spaces) then C: NTLDR, but no change in the computer.

theedman22

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I (now) see that the - is the clearing. The "c" is my c prompt. The computer does not like the - "switch". Is there another way that I can change the ntldr attrib? I've tried it with both c and h prompts. I've had some success with getting it to recognize what I want. When it is successful, it says SH from the c prompt ASH from the h prompt. Is there anything else I can do? It still boots up and says "NTLDR is compressed. Press CTR, ALT, delete to restart."