Random Fluctuations in Temps

xxc33

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I have an E6300 and a Gigabyte 965P-S3 mobo. Every once in a while, my CPU temperature will skyrocket up to the 80s and my temperature alert sound goes on I set in the BIOS. I had radio shack thermal paste, so I ordered some Arctic Silver 5. I still have the same problems. Sometimes the temps are in the 30s and run fine, I play games at high settings and it's fine, but randomly the temperature just shoots up. The plastic pins on my stock HSF broke kind of and I had to bend them back into place. Is it worth replacing my HSF because it may not be properly secured?

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Would definitely recommend replacing the heatsink if you messed up the clips for your current heatsink. I'm surprised your computer hasn't BSOD, crashed, or turned completely off.

I help a friend of mine build a new computer last year. (I hate the Intel heatsink fan clips). Finished the computer, up and running... randomly turns off....

Turns out that all the clips weren't locked :oops:

As of now, his computer runs fine.

Just get yourself the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Cheap, fits, not too heavy, and works great from what reviews say.

If you overclock, get the Tuniq. But avoid it as well if you take your computer to lan parties as this heatsink will put a lot of stress on your motherboard if transported.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
My X2 4200+ has done that a couple times. I have speedfan running and a couple times the measurement randomly spiked and the fans kicked into high. But then immediately the temp went to normal and my fans slowed down. I attribute it to a software measurement glitch.
So, check your heatsink and make sure it is attached properly. If you are sure it is, then maybe it is some sort of measurement glitch too.

Question: Does the temperature "skyrocket" if you run TAT or Orthos? If it does and you can reproduce the high temps by 100% load on the CPU, then the problem is the heatsink.

xxc33

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I ran TAT and the temps were still high. I did some research and decided on the Freezer 7 Pro ($29 shipped from directron). Thanks for the help.