Sign in with
Your question

Vista crashes constantly

Last response: in Windows Vista
February 17, 2009 4:03:46 AM

vista system freezes randomly. During boot up, using many or no programs. At times freezes 5-10 times per hour. tried removing and reinstalling many devices, updating drivers etc...
February 17, 2009 1:22:52 PM

have you tried updating bios and chipset software on the mobo?
m
l
February 17, 2009 10:18:20 PM

toms200 said:
vista system freezes randomly. During boot up, using many or no programs. At times freezes 5-10 times per hour. tried removing and reinstalling many devices, updating drivers etc...

You'll have to determine what hardware component is causing the issue. You could list what you have in your system (motherboard, CPU, PSU, video card, etc.) Are you overclocking your system?
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2009 2:53:06 PM

GhislainG said:
You'll have to determine what hardware component is causing the issue. You could list what you have in your system (motherboard, CPU, PSU, video card, etc.) Are you overclocking your system?

Intel q9450
vista ultimate/service pack 1/32 bit
office 2007
ocz ddr3 4 gig
nvidia 8800 gts
asus extreme maximus
2 1tb seagate hd's
lite on lh-20al dvd cdr
no overclocking

worked normally for a few months. then seemed to start crashing sporadically, now often. Reintalled all new drivers. Changed all peripherls. Uninstalled most programs. Blew the dust out. The only thing I havent done is to change out the video card.All needed updates done. What are the options

m
l
February 22, 2009 2:57:07 PM

also updated Mobo from asus website. What I did find, is that the less programs running, the better the chances of not crashing quickly
m
l
February 22, 2009 5:52:11 PM

You don't have a PSU? It could cause stability problems. In particular, voltages have to be stable. Have you tried running memtest overnight to ensure the memory is fine and prime95 for several hours to check the CPU? If those tests are successful, then start running tests that will make the video card work hard, etc.
m
l
February 23, 2009 6:20:58 AM

The tower came with a700w xvs psu. It is an Ultra aluminus .How do I check if it is stable? I dont know how to run a prime 95.Ran the asus update program and reflashed bios. will let you know if this update helped.
i appreciate your help.
m
l
February 23, 2009 6:41:21 AM

ran memtest and it found no errors.
m
l
February 23, 2009 11:51:52 AM

You should start testing the CPU with Prime95 for several hours. Your PSU isn't a high quality unit, but testing it is almost impossible. You have to use the elimination process.
m
l
February 25, 2009 11:35:41 PM

toms200_92 said:
Intel q9450
vista ultimate/service pack 1/32 bit
office 2007
ocz ddr3 4 gig
nvidia 8800 gts
asus extreme maximus
2 1tb seagate hd's
lite on lh-20al dvd cdr
no overclocking

worked normally for a few months. then seemed to start crashing sporadically, now often. Reintalled all new drivers. Changed all peripherls. Uninstalled most programs. Blew the dust out. The only thing I havent done is to change out the video card.All needed updates done. What are the options

Do you have a firewire based external hard drive connected to your computer? Microsoft claimed that problems with firewire drives were fixed long ago, but I had problems with crashes until I disconnected the firewire based drive. Each crash was preceeded by the administrator log reporting that the drive did not respond fast enough to a query from the computer. Each such error message took place 8 to 10 minutes before a crash. Took me awhile to figure out what was going on and I went through 2 new Gateway computers (frequent crashes) and a Dell unit (fewer crashes to I was able to note the correlation).

Vista seems to be much more sensitive and easiy crashed than XP. The firewire drive is now connected to an xp based computer and working fine on it.
m
l
February 26, 2009 9:16:27 AM

try this....quote from another post of mine.

"ok first i would check the memory, run this program: http://www.memtest.org/ (get the bootable iso and burn onto disk, run at start up)

then i would stress the GFX card using 3dmark for your card you probably want 3DMark 2005: http://www.futuremark.com/download/pcmark05/

then i would test your CPU and run a Prime95 torture test: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

run a chkdsk: goto start>run type 'cmd' > then type 'chkdsk c: /f' in the command prompt, let this run at startup if need be.

1. if memtest shows ANY errors replace your RAM, let it run for about 2hours.

2. if your computer crashes while running 3dmark or you see artifacts, then check your cards fans and temperatures.

3. if Prime95 crashes it could be your processor or your PSU. (will run forever, let it run for 3-4 hours)

4. if chkdsk reports any bad sectors, then replace your HDD... you will need to watch this test the results can pop up and dissapear in seconds."

and please clarify you OP, it crashes on boot up? then how would you be able to open programs? if its a Blue screen error lookup the code on Microsoft website.

Have you checked temperatures?
does it boot into safe mode and run fine?
m
l
February 26, 2009 4:14:58 PM

after spending much time and following most of these reccomendations, my computer now has been on for several days without crashing. I noticed that when microsft outlook would retrieve email from my hotmail account , things would slow down . I removed that account and the computer did not crash. I put the account back and computer froze. It is now removed and no crashes for days. I dont understand how this affected computer even when not using outlook.Thanks for all the help
m
l
February 27, 2009 7:42:26 AM

possible that sending a request over the network will freeze a computer as it waits for a response, i see this every day at work, people will say there computers are running slow when really its because that computer is waiting on the slower network...

if you want to use hotmail in an email client try giving Thunderbird a go.
m
l
!