Mandriva 2011

Amberclad

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Hi everyone , i got a question about Mandriva.

First of all I am a student in networking and I had to do a Linux class with a book that was telling me to use Mandriva , which for me is really painful and slow to use . After asking my teacher about it he told me that it was not the Distro he would use ( his choice was crunchbang linux). After reading in theses forums I did not saw Mandriva mentionned a single time , so my question is , is it a good OS or not ? What are the good ones ? ( I could say Mint and Ubuntu after reading here.)

Thanks

Matt.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Mandriva is generally a fine distribution; I haven't used it in a few years though so I can't comment on its current state.

Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Debian, Crunchbang, and many others are entirely suitable choices. Check out www.distrowatch.com for some more examples.

To some extent it also matters what you plan on doing with your installation.

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
I have never used Mandriva. I tried once but my old computer couldn't handle it. I have read that it is good, and from what I could tell the look and feel was similar to Linux Mint.

If you are running it on an older or slower computer, I would suggest trying a minimalist distribution such as Puppy Linux.

What are the specs for your computer?