Sign in with
Your question

Let's really use my quadcore! Need your help !!

Last response: in CPUs

Can this be done?

Total: 82 votes (4 blank votes)

• Yes
  • 40 %
  • No
  • 20 %
  • I should spend more time in the sun
  • 42 %
May 24, 2007 8:07:06 PM

Guys,

I was going to build the GF a PC this summer to get her into WoW, but I had an epiphany.....

Why not utlize 100% of my Q6600 upgrade, and get 2 monitors, 2 keyboards, 2 mice and two WoW's apps running at the same time, on ONE PC!

I've got the hardware. I could even get a 8800GTS and slot it in, giving her monitor a dedicated card. I've got multiple USB ports so a dual mouse/keyboard combo shouldnt be a prob. I just need software!

I know this can be done, and I need your guys creativity and help to finally get this right! (if I can get the GF into gaming, it will be so much fun and I can spend more time doing what I love vs watching another musical, LOL)

I found this article. http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/06/microsoft-researchin...

I have to figure out how we can split the Windows OS layout page onto two different screens, and allocate a mouse and keyboard to each screen. Then you can get two users for one PC, running multiple apps at the same time, independently.

Please point me in the right direction to solve this prob. If you guys can help me out with this, then THG would have found a life long member. Rock on!

More about : quadcore

May 24, 2007 8:54:00 PM

HAHAHAHAH. Bump. WTF guys, its a great idea!
May 24, 2007 8:59:42 PM

You should spend more time in the sun, an so should I. But that's beyond the point.

Screw running WoW, do something usefull with that quad core! Run F@H or WCG!
Related resources
May 24, 2007 9:03:11 PM

AHHAHAHAHAHA. No seriously guys, I wanna get this worked out. How come everyone here seems to know so much, but when one wants to know the ssiiiimmmplleesttt thing, its a no go.

Anyone, anyone? Buellleerr?
May 24, 2007 9:20:36 PM

Hellloooooo. Bump!
May 24, 2007 9:38:32 PM

I have a better idea; give me your quad core, because I can fully utilize it with my renders, and if it's not enough, could you also pay for my vacations so I can spend more time in the sun?!... Send me a PM for my phone and other contact details :lol: 
Seriously man:
1-Don't get something overkill like a quad if you don't need it
2-Try this for splitting you CPUs between two OS layers:
May 24, 2007 10:04:26 PM

Quote:
Guys,

I was going to build the GF a PC this summer to get her into WoW, but I had an epiphany.....

Why not utlize 100% of my Q6600 upgrade, and get 2 monitors, 2 keyboards, 2 mice and two WoW's apps running at the same time, on ONE PC!

I've got the hardware. I could even get a 8800GTS and slot it in, giving her monitor a dedicated card. I've got multiple USB ports so a dual mouse/keyboard combo shouldnt be a prob. I just need software!

I know this can be done, and I need your guys creativity and help to finally get this right! (if I can get the GF into gaming, it will be so much fun and I can spend more time doing what I love vs watching another musical, LOL)

I found this article. http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/06/microsoft-researchin...

I have to figure out how we can split the Windows OS layout page onto two different screens, and allocate a mouse and keyboard to each screen. Then you can get two users for one PC, running multiple apps at the same time, independently.

Please point me in the right direction to solve this prob. If you guys can help me out with this, then THG would have found a life long member. Rock on!

the only problem i see is installing and running two seperate instances of WoW on one machine. i think you may run into problems with the game itself but im not entireley sure.

you may also be able to set up the mouse and keyboard through WoW it self. i use an N52 Nostromo Speedpad which is recognized as a second keyboard. it sits next to my reg keyboard and i switch between the two. you should be able to set something up similar.

hope you got dual gigabit lans too. :wink:
May 24, 2007 10:43:06 PM

This can be done, I've set my buddy up with one kind of like this. He wanted to 2 box 2 wow accounts. He ran 2 accounts on 2 monitors, but he used a N52 keyboard to control 2nd account. Don't know how to get your GD to have her own mouse.

Running 2 instances of WoW isn't a problem at all, his framerates were good and he had an ok system, 4600x2, 7800gtx,2gb ram. so I know yours can do it. Just figure out how to have 2 mice and train her to use an n52 keyboard and your good.
May 24, 2007 10:54:34 PM

Quote:

Haha, when I saw that my first thought was the m25's thought of a solution involving the Girlfriend and a hatchet :twisted:

Perhaps run a Virtual PC and only install the second mouse/keyboard in the VM? That would take a lot more resources than just running two instances of WOW as there's a second OS running to beat but just throwing idea's in the hat.
May 24, 2007 11:14:56 PM

Quote:
Haha, when I saw that my first thought was the m25's thought of a solution involving the Girlfriend and a hatchet Twisted Evil

Do you think one could use that thing on a Q6600 :twisted:
a c 323 à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 25, 2007 12:16:55 AM

A virtual machine operating system can run several other operating systems. A google search should find you something. With a quad, 4gb of memory, you should have enough horsepower. That said, it would probably be simpler, and cheaper to buy a second pc.
May 25, 2007 1:12:37 AM

Yes, that's kind of a crazy setup; usually you have a task to accomplish and find the PC that does it better but getting a really high-end CPU to ask yourself "And now, what do I do with it?!" :roll:
For myself, I really need all the CPU power possible for rendering, but yet, when I'm not rendering (just doing something in CAD, or writing to this forum etc), I still have the feeling I am wasting my X2 4200+.
May 25, 2007 1:33:11 AM

so what :p  .. quad is better than dual and when the quad supported games come he dont need 2 upgrade =p im waiting for the Q6600 when the price drop comes :lol: 
May 25, 2007 3:34:14 AM

Guys - thanks for pointers (excuse the pun). Let's forget about about the Q6600 upgrade for a sec (only $266 in June, cheaper than when I bought this core). My E6600 system will run 2 instances of WoW without a prob. My internet connection will also probably handle it.

This N52 keypad is a fricken great idea. Kudos on that. I want to dig deeper into this. HOW DO I GET A SECOND MOUSE RUNNING. If I can just work that out, then I'm set.

Can someone help? Thanks again.
May 25, 2007 3:40:13 AM

Is it possible to set up a virtual machine to run WoW and map keyboards and mice separately to the main OS and the virtual machine? It should be simple enough to split the monitors, as you say you already are able to run two instances of WoW. It would be very cool to see a dual-GPU solution, with one GPU dedicated to each virtual machine.

I guess what I'm trying to describe is a semi-virutal machine with some real hardware duplication and some virtualisation on common parts like the CPU and RAM.
May 25, 2007 3:51:03 AM

Would there be any networking issues???
i.e. two WoW instances running off of the same IP address, both trying to use the same port(s)???
May 25, 2007 3:57:11 AM

Aside from your lack of input devices, your E6600 and 8800GTS are already fast enough to run two instances of WoW.
May 25, 2007 3:57:59 AM

That's an interesting question. I'm not entirely sure how the WoW server works with IP addresses. It was my impression that, to the outside internet, all computers behind the modem/router at home will appear with the same IP address. But then, I know you can have LAN parties with a lot of different computers hooking up to game servers. I'm no expert.

Splitting/spoofing a single internet connection into two separate addresses should be part of the virtual machine. If it doesn't do that, then this is a major drawback I hadn't yet heard of.
May 25, 2007 4:36:39 AM

Sorry. I can't help but until windows becomes a true multi user OS doing something like this will be a pain. The VM solution is the closest way windows can emulate a multi user OS...Is Vista based on Unix...yet??
May 25, 2007 4:39:15 AM

Speaking of not liking Windows, I've read that WoW works quite well in Linux.
May 25, 2007 5:14:05 AM

I dont think the Virtual PC option will work. Looks like a window inside a window, but probably doesnt allow for multiple mice and multiple keyboards to work simultaneously. Looks like you need to either switch into the window: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5qSBAg-E7E

Guys, there must be a way. We are supposed to be some of the worlds top geeks in hardware, and we cannot get this sorted out?

Anyone? That N52 idea could work, but I would need a 2nd mouse (WoW is 90% mouse based).

Also, something no one mentioned was sound. Could I get a 2nd sound card? Would I need one.

Please fire away guys. I would love to get this sorted.
May 25, 2007 12:01:17 PM

I don't think this is going to work.
If it did there would be no need for Windows terminal services or citrix.
At work, we have got rid of most PCs for non power users, but have wyse dumb terminals, running terminal services (migrating from citrix).
The trouble is, no 3D accleration. So trying to run a modern game would be very painfull as the bandwidth on a normal network would not be up to the tasks of displaying high resolution fast moving graphics.
May 25, 2007 1:24:40 PM

It wouldnt be networked - just setting up dual monitors with spllit screen mode. I could run WoW in Window mode and drag it across, just like those vids.

Prob is, I need to be able to control the character with a separate input. The N52 will work magic, but I need a MOUSE!!!

Anyone have any ideas. Plz help guys.
May 25, 2007 1:52:57 PM

You cant run 2 mice/keyboards independently under Windows.

Sorry, cant be done. Windows is not a multi user operating system.

Would be less effort to just build a 2nd PC, and even two instances of WoW does not qualify as "fully utilising your quad core".
May 25, 2007 2:24:57 PM

Quote:
hope you got dual gigabit lans too. Wink

wow are you 14?
May 25, 2007 3:23:42 PM

I know this can be done.

1) Anyone know how to allocate a certain shortcut (say WoW icon #2), to open in a specific monitor?? (ie. WoW icon #1 opens on main monitor, and #2 on secondary monitor)?

2) Anyone know how to allocate the sound output from specific programs to specific sound cards?

Thanks,
May 25, 2007 3:26:57 PM

Quote:
I know this can be done.

1) Anyone know how to allocate a certain shortcut (say WoW icon #2), to open in a specific monitor?? (ie. WoW icon #1 opens on main monitor, and #2 on secondary monitor)?

2) Anyone know how to allocate the sound output from specific programs to specific sound cards?

Thanks,
vmware or something is probably your only hope but i highly doubt you'll get the results you want. I really don't see this being possible to honest with you.
May 25, 2007 3:43:13 PM

It simply cannot be done. Windows in it of itself will not support 2 independent users. Yes you can have several keyboards and mice connected to the same machine, but they will all operate the same cursor and whatever app is in the focus queue. Virtual PC or VMware will not work because they cannot virtualize DirectX apps. WoW will not run in a VM even if you get an independent cursor and focus queue because of this.

Just build a second machine, you'll save yourself a lot of headache.

BTW, your sig says you have an E6600, not Q6600; which is it?

Ryan
May 25, 2007 3:44:07 PM

I KNOW IT CAN BE DONE, LOL!!!!!

I'm surprise by this group, and thought that THG users would be much more interested in this topic. Dont you guys have friends that come over and wanna game. No need to bring anything, just some pizze. Hook up to my second monitor and we are lock and load!

Seriously guys, why arent you enthusiastic about the idea?

http://www.dualosx.com/dualosx_en.htm

""DualOsx is a program that will let you work with two mice simultaneously on your Mac OS X system. The program is based on the Dual Core 2 processor technology, which allows your Mac to carry out multiple commands from two mice or graphic tablets at the same time.""
May 25, 2007 3:44:57 PM

If it can't be done in Windows, then can it be done in Linux? If what you want is a machine to play 2x WoW on, then this is an alternative.
May 25, 2007 3:46:48 PM

Quote:
I KNOW IT CAN BE DONE, LOL!!!!!

I'm surprise by this group, and thought that THG users would be much more interested in this topic. Dont you guys have friends that come over and wanna game. No need to bring anything, just some pizze. Hook up to my second monitor and we are lock and load!

Seriously guys, why arent you enthusiastic about the idea?

http://www.dualosx.com/dualosx_en.htm

""DualOsx is a program that will let you work with two mice simultaneously on your Mac OS X system. The program is based on the Dual Core 2 processor technology, which allows your Mac to carry out multiple commands from two mice or graphic tablets at the same time.""

IF you are so certain that it can be done why aren't you doing it? Or why don't you know how to do it cause if it could be done you had to have read about it somewhere so lets seem some links.

The truth is however that absolutely costively can't not and will not be done.
May 25, 2007 3:59:34 PM

HotFoot said something interesting. What about Linux? What about running Linux in Virtual mode?

The reason it can be done because nearly anything in the tech world is possible, and almost everything is possible if its software based.

I'm gonna crack open this prob, and it would be great if you guys could help out. Searching ........
May 25, 2007 4:04:31 PM

Quote:
HotFoot said something interesting. What about Linux? What about running Linux in Virtual mode?

The reason it can be done because nearly anything in the tech world is possible, and almost everything is possible if its software based.

I'm gonna crack open this prob, and it would be great if you guys could help out. Searching ........

Way to be determined and hopefull, good for you. :wink:
May 25, 2007 4:17:44 PM

I think if you spent as much attention on your GF as you are on this topic, your relationship with her would improve more than you trying to get her "hooked" on your own interests.

Once in a while, turn off WoW and pay attention to her.

Girls have these body parts, that if used correctly, can bring about much more pleasure than WoW. At first, you'll only get a few minutes of enjoyment, but over time, and a little practice, I'm sure you can bump that number up some.
May 25, 2007 4:23:02 PM

Even in Linux, you cannot virtualize a 3D app. The link you provided is for a Mac OSX app. OSX is vastly different in its architecture than Windows XP. Just because it's possible in OSX does not make it possible in XP. Supposedly Vista will be able to do something similar, but who knows. It may only work for basic apps like Word, Excel, or web browsing. DirectX is a whole different animal.

I am hopeful that a cure for cancer is possible, but that doesn't mean I'm going to develop one anytime soon. If you are so confident it is possible, here is a a place to start: www.google.com

Don't keep prodding everyone to help when you've already asked several times and you've already received several responses regarding what obstacles are in the way of doing this.

Ryan
May 25, 2007 4:24:48 PM

Quote:
I think if you spent as much attention on your GF as you are on this topic, your relationship with her would improve more than you trying to get her "hooked" on your own interests.

Once in a while, turn off WoW and pay attention to her.

Girls have these body parts, that if used correctly, can bring about much more pleasure than WoW. At first, you'll only get a few minutes of enjoyment, but over time, and a little practice, I'm sure you can bump that number up some.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
May 25, 2007 4:36:29 PM

Nice guys, nice :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: . Anyway, I'll let you know if I figure something out.

I've seen dual instances of WoW running, check out YouTube. You could configure the 2nd instance to use a N52 keypad (will control that character). The only thing left is to figure out the second mouse pointer.

Its not too tough to crack, and I'll get there.

Dont you guys see the value in this? What about single PCs in offices servicing 5 users each using multiple monitors. I think this is exciting stuff man. Wish I would have figured this out earlier.

MS will be releasing their split screen technology within the year.
May 25, 2007 4:38:11 PM

CPN Tools: http://cpnmouse.sourceforge.net/

"CPNMouse allows developers to use more than one pointing device in Windows 2000/XP applications, while maintaining backward compability with old applications."

Note: one idea but real old drivers.
May 25, 2007 4:39:44 PM

What other input devices give you the same sensitivity as a mouse cursor? What about a touchpad with pen? All other ideas.
May 25, 2007 4:42:18 PM

Quote:
Dont you guys see the value in this? What about single PCs in offices servicing 5 users each using multiple monitors. I think this is exciting stuff man. Wish I would have figured this out earlier.

MS will be releasing their split screen technology within the year.

This technology has existed for many years. Search the phrase "dumb terminal" and "terminal services" for more info.

Although, based on some other people's suggestions here, these aren't the terms you need to be searching.

Ryan
May 25, 2007 4:43:03 PM

Quote:
What other input devices give you the same sensitivity as a mouse cursor?

See my previous reply. :lol: 
May 25, 2007 4:58:27 PM

yeah, i remember reading a retro article (from a while back) a bit ago about some program that was supposed to revolutionize computing by letting two people use one computer... this way you would never have to play against bots or the cpu again. i think you should look for.. maybe even server stuff.. that can let you use more than one mouse. because 2 mice in normal windows just gives you one co-operated pointer, one of the single most frustrating things to do to someone in a highschool computer lab :twisted:
May 25, 2007 5:01:08 PM

FishBoi, you got a very good idea right there.

I've used VMWare and VPC2007 and both don't have the ability to render 3D games properly.

I checked your link and it looks like it is in the works, but is not quite ready to be released.

About the whole Dual Core vs Quad Core. Well, I know on my AMD Athlon 64, WoW uses 100% CPU utilization. On my Dual Core, it uses ~50%. But the issue comes down to other components in your computer that might need CPU bandwidth, such as onboard sound and ethernet.

Quad Core might not be a bad idea.

The graphics card should be more than adequate to handle two instances of WoW.

Other than that, I'm sure what you want is possible. But at the given time, not right now.

Don't mean to be pessimistic, but as of now, you could easily build her a ~$500 machine that is more than capable of running WoW.

And back to the thing you were stating about what if your friends come over...

That's where my good ole AMD Athlon 64 computer comes in :tongue:

It also helps when your dad's company is replacing monitors with LCDs and giving the CRTs away :tongue: ( I got a Dell 19" CRT! 8O Only issue was that it was a little to big for my desk.)

Lastly, I have a g/f that likes games to, and got me to buy two copies of WoW so that we could both play.... a month later, I'm the only one playing :oops: 
May 25, 2007 5:11:00 PM

Eura, you hit the nail on the head. If I get a new PC, and the GF gets bored after a month, its gonna sit there and gather dust. She loves games like the Sims2, Monopoly Tycoon, Rollercoaster Tycoon etc. She sits there playing them for hours when Im not busy with my PC. She really likes gaming, but as for multiplayer games, we dont have much. She hates FPS, doesnt like RTS (loved to farm in Age of Empires but hated the game after I burned down all her farms, never played with me again) - anything with war and blood isnt her favorite, LOL :lol:  :lol:  . I know youre thinking WoW isnt any different, but I think it may be. More of a team based approach in raids, more social cause of the chatting aspect etc.

Anyway, back to my point. Im gonna install 2 versions of WoW tonight, and see if I cant use my existing keyboard to control the other character on monitor 2. If I can do that, I know this will work. I've just got to figure out a way to control a 2nd cursor (most probably using a custom application).
May 25, 2007 5:15:57 PM

I remember in older pc magazines about some program that would "LET UP TO FIVE USERS WITH THEIR OWN KEYBOARD AND MOUSE USE ONE MACHINE AT A TIME!!! SAVE MONIES!!!" but I cant recall the name. It seems like an interesting idea, I could build a comp for mom and dad and they could use it at the same time. If I find the name Ill come back and tell ya, but Im pretty sure it wouldnt play 3d apps :(  Good luck in your search.
May 25, 2007 5:20:52 PM

why bother having 2 instances of WoW?

Why bother having WoW??

Why not give your Q6600 to ME (A heavy TG2 and GIMP user) and buy yourself an e6600 and save yourself a heap of cash. i currently have a 4200+ @ 2.4ghz and that doesn't fail to run anything, picking myself up an 8800 GTS 320 and a 22" LCD soon :D  to really pwn games.

yeah Virtual PC? but like the guy said, problems with the game running into itself, and you'd need 2gb RAM minumum. unless your running Vista in which case don't consider less than 3, 4 is probably a good idea.

What is it with WoW, someone explain it to me

GET PREY its awesome i love it.

I sincerely doubt there is any other way of running 2 x Windows without using VPC, kernel conflicts etc. VPC takes a lot of memory tho. I'm not sure abou a dual graphics requirement, it might be possible with one, though framerates would drop alot. any ideas ppl?
May 25, 2007 5:50:07 PM

FishBoi, this sounds cheap, but you don't really have to install 2 versions. Just copy the WoW folder to a different location and presto. Should work. (was too lazy to install the game on my laptop, so I zipped it, copied it over, unzipped it, and played it).

My girlfriend loves games... just on consoles *shudders*

On side note, my friend last night came up with something ingeneous about women!

Man can not understand woman because woman can not understand themselves!

Anyways, Virtual Machines are primarly used for "multitasking" with diferrent OSes, that don't require heavy GPU processing.

Another side note, does anyone know how to get VMWare to use both of my cores instead of one? :oops: 

JonIsGinger: PREY is crap!!! Glad I got a copy from a friend rather than paying for it! I had more fun with Quake IV and Doom 3 than PREY!

Then again, that is just MY OPINION! :D 
!