Let's really use my quadcore! Need your help !!

Can this be done?

• Yes

Votes: 31 39.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I should spend more time in the sun

Votes: 32 41.0%

• Total voters

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Guys,

I was going to build the GF a PC this summer to get her into WoW, but I had an epiphany.....

Why not utlize 100% of my Q6600 upgrade, and get 2 monitors, 2 keyboards, 2 mice and two WoW's apps running at the same time, on ONE PC!

I've got the hardware. I could even get a 8800GTS and slot it in, giving her monitor a dedicated card. I've got multiple USB ports so a dual mouse/keyboard combo shouldnt be a prob. I just need software!

I know this can be done, and I need your guys creativity and help to finally get this right! (if I can get the GF into gaming, it will be so much fun and I can spend more time doing what I love vs watching another musical, LOL)

I found this article. http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/06/microsoft-researching-split-screen-desktop-software/

I have to figure out how we can split the Windows OS layout page onto two different screens, and allocate a mouse and keyboard to each screen. Then you can get two users for one PC, running multiple apps at the same time, independently.

Please point me in the right direction to solve this prob. If you guys can help me out with this, then THG would have found a life long member. Rock on!

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
You should spend more time in the sun, an so should I. But that's beyond the point.

Screw running WoW, do something usefull with that quad core! Run F@H or WCG!

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
AHHAHAHAHAHA. No seriously guys, I wanna get this worked out. How come everyone here seems to know so much, but when one wants to know the ssiiiimmmplleesttt thing, its a no go.

Anyone, anyone? Buellleerr?

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I have a better idea; give me your quad core, because I can fully utilize it with my renders, and if it's not enough, could you also pay for my vacations so I can spend more time in the sun?!... Send me a PM for my phone and other contact details :lol:
Seriously man:
1-Don't get something overkill like a quad if you don't need it
2-Try this for splitting you CPUs between two OS layers:
axe.jpg

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Guys,

I was going to build the GF a PC this summer to get her into WoW, but I had an epiphany.....

Why not utlize 100% of my Q6600 upgrade, and get 2 monitors, 2 keyboards, 2 mice and two WoW's apps running at the same time, on ONE PC!

I've got the hardware. I could even get a 8800GTS and slot it in, giving her monitor a dedicated card. I've got multiple USB ports so a dual mouse/keyboard combo shouldnt be a prob. I just need software!

I know this can be done, and I need your guys creativity and help to finally get this right! (if I can get the GF into gaming, it will be so much fun and I can spend more time doing what I love vs watching another musical, LOL)

I found this article. http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/06/microsoft-researching-split-screen-desktop-software/

I have to figure out how we can split the Windows OS layout page onto two different screens, and allocate a mouse and keyboard to each screen. Then you can get two users for one PC, running multiple apps at the same time, independently.

Please point me in the right direction to solve this prob. If you guys can help me out with this, then THG would have found a life long member. Rock on!

the only problem i see is installing and running two seperate instances of WoW on one machine. i think you may run into problems with the game itself but im not entireley sure.

you may also be able to set up the mouse and keyboard through WoW it self. i use an N52 Nostromo Speedpad which is recognized as a second keyboard. it sits next to my reg keyboard and i switch between the two. you should be able to set something up similar.

hope you got dual gigabit lans too. :wink:

cottonball

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
This can be done, I've set my buddy up with one kind of like this. He wanted to 2 box 2 wow accounts. He ran 2 accounts on 2 monitors, but he used a N52 keyboard to control 2nd account. Don't know how to get your GD to have her own mouse.

Running 2 instances of WoW isn't a problem at all, his framerates were good and he had an ok system, 4600x2, 7800gtx,2gb ram. so I know yours can do it. Just figure out how to have 2 mice and train her to use an n52 keyboard and your good.

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

Haha, when I saw that my first thought was the m25's thought of a solution involving the Girlfriend and a hatchet :twisted:

Perhaps run a Virtual PC and only install the second mouse/keyboard in the VM? That would take a lot more resources than just running two instances of WOW as there's a second OS running to beat but just throwing idea's in the hat.

A virtual machine operating system can run several other operating systems. A google search should find you something. With a quad, 4gb of memory, you should have enough horsepower. That said, it would probably be simpler, and cheaper to buy a second pc.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Yes, that's kind of a crazy setup; usually you have a task to accomplish and find the PC that does it better but getting a really high-end CPU to ask yourself "And now, what do I do with it?!" :roll:
For myself, I really need all the CPU power possible for rendering, but yet, when I'm not rendering (just doing something in CAD, or writing to this forum etc), I still have the feeling I am wasting my X2 4200+.

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
so what :p .. quad is better than dual and when the quad supported games come he dont need 2 upgrade =p im waiting for the Q6600 when the price drop comes :lol:

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Guys - thanks for pointers (excuse the pun). Let's forget about about the Q6600 upgrade for a sec (only $266 in June, cheaper than when I bought this core). My E6600 system will run 2 instances of WoW without a prob. My internet connection will also probably handle it.

This N52 keypad is a fricken great idea. Kudos on that. I want to dig deeper into this. HOW DO I GET A SECOND MOUSE RUNNING. If I can just work that out, then I'm set.

Can someone help? Thanks again.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
Is it possible to set up a virtual machine to run WoW and map keyboards and mice separately to the main OS and the virtual machine? It should be simple enough to split the monitors, as you say you already are able to run two instances of WoW. It would be very cool to see a dual-GPU solution, with one GPU dedicated to each virtual machine.

I guess what I'm trying to describe is a semi-virutal machine with some real hardware duplication and some virtualisation on common parts like the CPU and RAM.

hassa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Would there be any networking issues???
i.e. two WoW instances running off of the same IP address, both trying to use the same port(s)???

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
That's an interesting question. I'm not entirely sure how the WoW server works with IP addresses. It was my impression that, to the outside internet, all computers behind the modem/router at home will appear with the same IP address. But then, I know you can have LAN parties with a lot of different computers hooking up to game servers. I'm no expert.

Splitting/spoofing a single internet connection into two separate addresses should be part of the virtual machine. If it doesn't do that, then this is a major drawback I hadn't yet heard of.

bb1ood

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Sorry. I can't help but until windows becomes a true multi user OS doing something like this will be a pain. The VM solution is the closest way windows can emulate a multi user OS...Is Vista based on Unix...yet??

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I dont think the Virtual PC option will work. Looks like a window inside a window, but probably doesnt allow for multiple mice and multiple keyboards to work simultaneously. Looks like you need to either switch into the window: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5qSBAg-E7E

Guys, there must be a way. We are supposed to be some of the worlds top geeks in hardware, and we cannot get this sorted out?

Anyone? That N52 idea could work, but I would need a 2nd mouse (WoW is 90% mouse based).

Also, something no one mentioned was sound. Could I get a 2nd sound card? Would I need one.

Please fire away guys. I would love to get this sorted.

Stimpy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
I don't think this is going to work.
If it did there would be no need for Windows terminal services or citrix.
At work, we have got rid of most PCs for non power users, but have wyse dumb terminals, running terminal services (migrating from citrix).
The trouble is, no 3D accleration. So trying to run a modern game would be very painfull as the bandwidth on a normal network would not be up to the tasks of displaying high resolution fast moving graphics.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
It wouldnt be networked - just setting up dual monitors with spllit screen mode. I could run WoW in Window mode and drag it across, just like those vids.

Prob is, I need to be able to control the character with a separate input. The N52 will work magic, but I need a MOUSE!!!

Anyone have any ideas. Plz help guys.