Sign in with
Your question

How to Install windows XP from old hard drive to new system

Last response: in Windows XP
January 22, 2009 8:34:44 PM

I have a problem. My mobo burnt up and I am forced to build a new system. My previous system had 2 hard disks. The primary hard disk had Win XP Pro installed on it with a password protected account with me as administrator.

My question is this....how do I install the old primary hard drive and still be able to access my password protected "My Documents files" in the new system? I am worried how the permissions will act since I cannot login and transfer documents using the computer on which they were created since it is fried.

Can I do this without reinstalling all the software and stuff by say booting with the Win XP Dosk and doing a repair?

I tried to plug the old primary disk into another computer I had to see if it would boot off the disk and it wouldn't. I got the BSOD.

I really need some help !
January 25, 2009 6:11:40 AM

Put the old HDD in the computer, and take it off the boot list in BIOS. Then, when the system loads from the regular HDD, the old drive will be mounted under My Computer, and you'll be able to browse / transfer the files. Easiest thing to do IMHO.

Of course, that's assuming the HDD isn't fried as well.
Related resources
January 25, 2009 12:32:51 PM

seboj said:
Put the old HDD in the computer, and take it off the boot list in BIOS. Then, when the system loads from the regular HDD, the old drive will be mounted under My Computer, and you'll be able to browse / transfer the files. Easiest thing to do IMHO.

Of course, that's assuming the HDD isn't fried as well.

I did that when I plugged it into another computer as the slave drive and I was able to access my files except for "my documents" folder. I was trying to boot off the old drive but unfortunately from all I am reading that is not gonna happen. I was advised to try a "repair" with my installation disk for winXP if it would let me. I may try that first some say it worked for them some say it didn't.

And thanks grumpy9117 for the link. I did that procedure of taking possession of the file once before and it worked then so I see no reason it will not work now. I was just trying not to go through all that hassle but if necessary I will. Then I will have to transfer all my stuff over to my new profile which can be a royal pain but may be the only way.
Anonymous
January 25, 2009 12:46:56 PM

You could try a repair installation. Make sure you don't choose the first Repair option after booting from the XP CD. It will just put you in a Recovery Console.

Grumpy
!