Blank screen on start-up

Scintir

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
I just built a new computer for my grandpa. This is the specs:

Asus- m2n4-sli Motherboard (ATX) (am2)
AMD Athlon 64 FX62 Socket AM2 w/ Heatsink and cpu fan
2 SATA WD hard drives (120gb, sata 300 )
500 watt ATX power supply (forgot manufacturer)
XFX geforce 7600 GT 256mb PCIE
2x 1gb OCZ 800MHZ ram

I put it all together yesterday night so it was dark and i was a bit sleepy. So I decided to check this morning and i checked EVERY jumper setting AND i cleared the CMOS and removed battery. EVERYTHING seems to have power but the monitor doesn't turn on ( stays in standby for information from comp) while everything else seems to have power and running. When I turn on the system everything runs and lights up and the MB beeps too. I suspect it is the video card i have installed that isn't working because like i stated everything else seems to be working. I don't really have an extra PCIE card to put it ( might be able to borrow my neighbors ATI card but otherwise i still use AGP). So before i decided to send it back and have to wait a good amount of time to get it sent back to me I thought I would have you guys on this wonderful forum :wink: look over my information and possibly come up with an idea. The graphics card needs an adapter since i only have VGA monitors. There is a fan on the graphics card, I will check and make sure that is getting power. Please help me X_X, I had a problem kinda like this before because of a jumper that wasn't fully attached and I know there are so many little things that cna go wrong but I assure you I fully connected all the jumpers !!.

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Hi, Do you know if it boots all the way into windows by harddisk activity or stops booting right after the beeps? If it boots all the way but you can't get an image i don't think the card is faulty. Make sure the card is in the right PCI-E slot (blue one) and the DVI adapter is in the right connector on the card. Also make sure the cable is properly seated in the adapter aswell as the monitor.
Do you have a digital/analog input selector on the monitor? Try switching that to see if you get an image.
As far as the jumpers are concerned, from looking at the online manual of your board, they have something to do with USB being able to get the PC out of powerdown and are not related to video output. So check all these things and let us know if you've solved it. Good luck

Scintir

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
From the frontside panel the icon states that the HDD is still loading but once again nothing on the screen appears. Yes i do have the card in the upper slot and I plug the adapter into both of the DVI ports to test it. The graphics card is completly pushed in with the side snap put in (that helps hold it). My grandpa's comp has a tool free Case so it all connects through attachments on the comp but those still hold the equiptment well. On the jumpers i have everything on default EXCEPT for the USBOW56,78,and910 since I do not have ample information on the power supply. Asus had the jumpers on the +5v for the jumper settings and that isn't default. Shall i try switching it to the +5VSB default?

I have checked the monitor and it won't let me access the options. It is staying on standby ( won't get off until it recieves the information from the computer).

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
The USB 5v/5vsb jumpers are to switch wake-up via USB devices from low power mode(s1) to deep sleep modes(s3 s4).
The keyboard 5v/5vsb allows wake-up via keyboard where 5v setting is disabled and 5vsb enables this. If you're going to use APM then these settings are of interest, otherwise i think you can leave them at default values.
What type of monitor do you have? Is it extremely old :p or can it not handle multiple input signals? I don't know if a DVI adapter will work on all types of monitors or if there could be incompatibility issues here. If you could try an LCD monitor or CRT with DVI native support (do they exist?) to see if it works then.
Maybe some other forum members could share there wisdom here ?

EDIT i forgot to ask... did you connect the power connector to the card?
thought i'd throw that in there just to be safe :wink:

Scintir

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
Wow...that monitor has to bee about...wow 9 years old 0.o it is an old compaw one ^^ (crt). I don't really have money to test any DVI one because ya..no one has one so i would need to buy one =0. About the power to the vid card no i didn't connect the power. The reason for this is because there is NO where to connect the PCIe connector =0. I was surprised to see that but meh... My mother has a newish compaw monitor (7750 19in, CRT) VGA of course ( she baught the comp without consalting me 8O ).

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Do you know somebody with a spare PCIe slot? Or you could take the card to your local PC shop and have them test it for you.

Scintir

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
The MB has two PCIE 16x slots for graphics cards and I am going to try to borrow my friend's old PCIE card today and test it.

Scintir

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
well I tried another graphics card and i tried the graphics card in both spots and I still received nothing I also tried it with another monitor and the results were the same. I can try another power supply with a higher wattage but i doubt anything will happen since when the comp starts up it requires a small amount of energy and i have a 500watt in there already. My only conclusion left is that the motherboard is defective or something 0.o
Should i just send both the motherboard and graphics card back and get it replaced with a new one or does anyone else have an idea that might work out for this situation.

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
It's possible it's a bad motherboard. If you are sure you had everything connected properly and it's still not working you might want to RMA the board.

Scintir

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
Yes I am possitive that I connected everything right. I first connected the MB tested it, then I checked it all over in high detail again then I went back and checked in detail highly looking through each part of the MB very closely not skipping a word and it was all the same X_X. I tried a few graphics cards, two monitors, both of the slots, and the adapter on both of the connection ports. The MB beeps when turning on but that won't stop another problem in the MB. I baught the product through Tiger Direct ( Newegg supplies basicly the same stuff and for the most part the same price but tigerdirect ships MUCH faster to me so I usualy go through them ^^). I guess i will call them and have it sent back.

Scintir

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
you can delete this, I am just going to either send this back and get a new one or send it back and get a dif board.