Readyboost and sd card

oldjj

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
can anyone explain this?? I wanted to use a 2 gig sd card in a built card reader for readyboost but the option for readyboost doesn't show up in properties when the card is in the reader. so I put the sd card in an external reader and plug it into usb slot and readyboost works. now remove the card from the external reader and put it in the built in reader and now it works for readyboost. reboot the computer and it doesn't work and have to put it in the external reader again before it will work in the built in reader?? too strange. this is a sony vgn-n365e with vista home premium.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Have you done benchmarking on your sd? There is a minimum required. I use to try it and found that sometime was available and some time not. My card was probably borderline with the minimum. I know SD card are not expensive but also sometimes not really fast.

The device must be capable of 2.5 MB/s read speeds for 4 KB random reads spread uniformly across the entire device and 1.75 MB/s write speeds for 512 KB random writes spread uniformly across the device

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

oldjj

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
i am having inconsistent results with a pny sd card but a kodak sd card works every time. i've tried a couple different usb flash drive that don't work.

G

sounds like the inbuilt card reader isnt very good.

You put it in external card reader then windows clasified good for ready boost places its marker on it.

you reboot it tries to read files to ready boost finds internal card reader unable to meet minimum speeds turns off ready boost.

that'd be my guess.

tilstad

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I have used a Kingston 32Gb, CLASS 10 Sd card on my Lenovo Sl300 with 2 Gb's of Ram as delivered, and I can tell you it makes a HUGE improvement. 4 Gb was allocated to readyboost.

All the people stating it does not work, or that it's pointless, well you guys have apparantly done something wrong.

Note though, that I multitask HEAVILY, hence my ram requirements are alot more than what the machine has. At work, I used to have a 16Gb ram machine, and there we were upgrading to 32. (Workstations)

You need to have a use pattern that require alot of ram to see any benefits. If say I test the machine, with and without readyboost enabled, and check how fast it can load a big excel document from vanilla windows, well then you might not see much difference in performance.

Most test I've seen on the matter test this excact way, but it's the wrong way to evaluate readyboost.

The performance gain is only there if you pagefile alot. But then it's alot too. Please note, that the CLASS rating is imperative, class 4 and 6 is alot slower than class 10, and 4 and lower might not even work at all.