Body Scaling

Last response: in Video Games
March 25, 2005 10:51:55 AM

Ok Shen,

How the hades do I work the new face/body scaling feature?

Maybe I'm just Google-impaired but I can't find any useful info on it.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

Vorlonagent (M), level 21 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 14 Blaster (Gun,Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph

More about : body scaling

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 3:15:00 PM

"George Johnson" <matrix29@voyager.net> wrote in message

Corrections on last post

| MALE = 3+11/12 (4' 11") feet to 8 feet tall

SHOULD READ
| MALE = 3+11/12 (3' 11") feet to 8 feet tall

[scrolling down]

| stocky-appearing body shape, but not for making a "Gorilla man" with
| knuckles on the pavement. Although this is one step toward child-body
| types and midgets --- as dwarfs have shorter proportional legs and arms
than
| the average adult)

Got it backward, sorry.

http://www.lpaonline.org/resources_faq.html
Q: What is the definition of dwarfism?

A: Little People of America (LPA) defines dwarfism as a medical or genetic
condition that usually results in an adult height of 4'10" or shorter, among
both men and women, although in some cases a person with a dwarfing
condition may be slightly taller than that.

Q: What are the most common types of dwarfism?

A: By far the most frequently diagnosed cause of short stature is
achondroplasia, a genetic condition that results in disproportionately short
arms and legs. (The term "disproportionate" is meant only as a point of
comparison with people who do not have achondroplasia or any other type of
skeletal dysplasia. The arms and legs of a person with achondroplasia are
perfectly appropriate for someone with that genetic condition.) The average
height of adults with achondroplasia is 4'0". Other genetic conditions that
result in short stature include spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia congenita
(SED), diastrophic dysplasia, pseudoachondroplasia, hypochondroplasia, and
osteogenesis imperfecta (OI). As one might expect from their names,
pseudoachondroplasia and hypochondroplasia are conditions that are
frequently confused with achondroplasia; diastropic dysplasia occasionally
is, too. OI is characterized by fragile bones that fracture easily.

According to information compiled by the Greenberg Center at Johns Hopkins
Medical Center and by the late Lee Kitchens, a past president of LPA, the
frequency of occurrence of the most common types of dwarfism is as follows:

1. Achondroplasia (one per 26,000 to 40,000 births)
2. SED (one per 95,000 births)
3. Diastrophic dysplasia (one per 110,000 births)

These conditions are essentially untreatable, although some people with
achondroplasia and hypochondroplasia have undergone painful (and
controversial) limb-lengthening surgery. LPA's position on limb-lengthening
is that it is unnecessary surgery with unknown long-term results, and that
it is far more useful to build a dwarf child's self-esteem. (More
information below.)

Proportionate dwarfism -- that is, a short-stature condition that results in
the arms, legs, trunk, and head being the same size in relation to each
other as would be expected with an average-size person -- is often the
result of a hormonal deficiency, and may be treated medically.

Although achondroplasia accounts for perhaps 70 percent of all cases of
dwarfism, there are approximately 200 diagnosed types, and some individuals
with dwarfism never receive a definitive diagnosis.

Q: What is a midget?

A: In some circles, a midget is the term used for a proportionate dwarf.
However, the term has fallen into disfavor and is considered offensive by
most people of short stature. The term dates back to 1865, the height of the
"freak show" era, and was generally applied only to short-statured persons
who were displayed for public amusement, which is why it is considered so
unacceptable today.
[end clip]

==============

As a bonus for making goofs on the previous post I submit these artistic
comments from this web page.

http://msatminidolls.minilists.com/archsculpt.htm

Face
1. The part of the face that grows the most is the jaw. An infant is born
with a tiny, rudimentary jaw that continues to grow until adulthood, so this
is the part of the face that lengthens and develops the most. This principle
was made clear to me when I drew a portrait of my niece at eight. It wasn't
a bad likeness but something wasn't 'right.' Two years later, I noticed she
looked exactly like the picture!! I realized that originally I had made the
jaw too long for an eight year old, but she had 'grown into' her portrait.

Another thing that defines an infant's face is the undeveloped cartilage of
the nose. That's why they have those 'button' noses and no bridge. Human
eyes grow very little over the course of life, compared to the rest of the
body, and that's why babies seem to have huge eyes. A memorable
characterization of a baby's face is Tweety Bird, with his huge cranium,
big eyes, and the remaining features squeezed together. Forget the beak,
though!

2. The jaw usually defines masculinity or femininity in a face. In men,
thanks to testosterone, the jaw is noticeably larger and squarer than in
women. Testosterone also squares the forehead and brings the brow down lower
over the eyes. Tom Cruise is a perfect example of these features. Many, many
'leading men' in movies have these features because we instinctively
associate testosterone with strength.

3. A woman's face is defined by the smaller, more delicate jaw (not
proportionately shorter, though) and often by the roundness of the features,
which is indicative of estrogen. Fashion models aside, men are attracted to
estrogen and the subsequent curves it creates all over the female. Women's
facial features -- nose, chin -- are often more delicate and subtle than
men's... (except for those of us with a lot of the 'old country' in our
genes, and our potato noses, lol!)

A woman's neck muscles are also not as large or developed as a man's.

4. As people age past the prime of life, the jaw begins to deteriorate (oh
goody) through the loss of teeth and bone mass. So if you are sculpting an
elderly person, you can reduce the jaw slightly to accentuate age (in
addition to the wrinkles.) Also, the nose continues to grow throughout one's
lifetime, and coupled with the shrinking jaw, the face of an old person can
look 'squeezed in.'

5. Although the definitions of beauty are endless -- including DaVinci's
brilliant system of ratio -- the short answer to creating an attractive face
is symmetry. If your doll's face is correctly proportioned, and one side of
the features is balanced to the other, chances are you'll have something you
like.

An easy -- and startling! -- way to check for symmetry as you sculpt is to
hold the head-in-progress up to a hand mirror. Does one half of the face
seem to slide upwards? Probably! Why didn't you notice it before?? This
happens because one of your own eyes is dominant and automatically
'corrects' the distortion in its favor...until you look
at it backwards in the mirror. Most artists face this difficulty and all you
can do is to keep checking the mirror and re-aligning the features until
they are more symmetrical.

I'll be glad to hear any questions you have -- although I might not know the
answers! I hope some of this information is of value, even if for your own
interest. Also, I've picked up a few tidbits of information about people
through my fascination with anatomy...which probably won't help you sculpt,
but are just kind of interesting:

- in the first few months of life, a baby most resembles its father,
Nature's way of trying to ensure he doesn't reject the child.

- ever wonder why your teenage son drives you CRAZY? Testosterone again. As
an adult female, you have a testosterone level of about 6. A teenage male
can have a reading of 1000! If you didn't have to manage him with a whip and
a chair give yourself a pat on the back.

- one of the things that truly separates women from men is (this will be a
shock) ...fat. The female body accumulates and stores fat in different and
more places than men. Forget the temporary fancies of fashion -- the male
creature is genetically designed to love fat on a woman. Really!
- Although every face is different, there are certain 'classic' facial
characteristics of various races. Asian faces, for example, have eyes not
set as deeply into the sockets, and also lesser development of nose
cartilage. This gives the face a flatter, smoother appearance. Classic
African features can include a receding jaw (where the mouth and lips jut
out farther than the jaw) and tiny, delicate ears. What are Caucasians
renowned for? Big noses! (certainly true on my side of the family.)
Have a great day,
Diana in Canada

Sculpting
Often the eye sees what it expects to see or has been taught to see rather
than what is actually there. Make some copy machine copies of the
photos-full face, profile, 3/4 views- and use a ruler to draw lines through
all the major features... though the eyes are generally just about the
middle of a young child's face, each one is different... the lines will let
you "see" the actual difference from the "norm" for the placement of all the
features and how they relate to each other. It will also help with the
"pout".
Sammy

[skipping down]

Proportions
I'm very glad to see this discussion of doll sizes. As a sculptor, it has
always worried me how my dolls would look with other dolls. I try to make my
dolls close to real life sizes. When I first started out in the early 80's
there were a lot of dolls that had hands and shoes that were way too small.
I measured one adult male doll's shoe (from another doll maker) and then
went to the store and found it measured the size of a child's size 3.
Obviously the size of feet and hands vary considerably, but this was way too
small to look believable. I've read several times that for realistic looking
dolls it is better for the heads to be slightly larger than in real life
rather than smaller. But too large looks funny too. When I start to worry
about my doll's head sizes I look at a TV show that shows the audience. The
difference is astounding. Another thing to consider is the age of the doll.
Men’s heads get larger as they grow older as well. I have a chart somewhere
that shows the size of the average mans ear when he is young and then how
much larger it is when he is older. Of course all of this varies
tremendously with individuals. I have tried to vary the sizes of my doll
heads. Some heads just look better larger and others look better smaller.
I've never liked the pin head look that some dolls get when their heads are
small. I have two sizes of hands for men and am planning on a third size.
One is more rugged, the other younger and smaller. The third will be in
between and the more artistic, longer fingered type hand. I try to match the
hand to what my customers say about the doll or the costume.

Another thing I discovered about real people is that you can't tell how tall
someone is from the size of their head. You'd think tall people would have
big heads and vice versa. But that's not how it really is. It does look
better that way though. Ladies heads also vary considerably and can be a
good bit larger than a man's head when hers is large and his is small. As a
sculptor I spend a lot of time looking at these things. And large heads
don't necessarily mean large feet. I can see how this can be a problem for
people buying doll kits and trying to dress them. But it's not all that
different from real life where you need to alter patterns to fit an
individual. I agree with Sammy that it is more realistic to have dolls of
varying sizes rather than trying to get them all the same size. So unless a
doll is badly out of scale (like a size 3 child's foot for an adult) you
don't really need to worry about their size.
~~ Debbie Olsen ~~ Porcelain Doll Artist

The reason the feet are much too small is that most people never come to
terms with the looks of their hands and feet... so, just as a little child
draws a face with the eyes at the top (the forehead has no possible use as
far as he is concerned so he doesn't draw it), folks make doll hands and
feet "forgettable small". Many old dolls don't even have hands or feet, the
arms and legs just sort of stop... Along comes a person wanting to sculpt a
doll and instead of looking at real people, the person will copy a doll they
like and perpetuate the small foot syndrome. Most folks are not taught in
school art classes to "see" but rather to copy so the chances of them
sculpting from an actual person, picture, etc is practically nil unless they
start questioning the proportions. How many people have a Barbie doll
figure, hand and foot size?
Sammy

Priska, If you use that AB=CD height check on any doll to make sure that the
height (not counting shoe heels) is equal to the distance from fingertip to
fingertip...your doll WILL be in proportion. So glad things are moving
smoothly for you. How is everyone else doing? You are free to ask any
question today as always. If you are shy, send me a private message. I'm
here to help.
Laurie

1/12 Scale
What it means is that it's in the scale of 1"=1ft. So, a 6ft man would be
6", a 5ft woman would be 5", a 4ft child would be 4" and a 2ft baby would be
2".
I make my woman about 5 1/4" to 5 1/2".
Cheryl C
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 10:00:01 AM

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Thanks.
>
>At least I know why I can't access it. :)

I just finally got round to updating cohtest and trying it out.

Very frikken nice indeed, except of course the "chest" slider for women
only goes down a tiny bit, but goes up to strip club dancer sizes.

Some of the new costume options are quite nice too, and there's some new
faces and hairstyles.

I can finally create the "cute, schoolgirlish, martial artist" I'd tried
to way back when, since there's actually a cute face now (#10), and the
sliders let you tweak things. Three martial arts GIs to choose from and
2 braided hairstyles just perfect for it.

Two bummers though - the new bracers and new "tied" glove/boots only
have one color choice - the engraving on the bracers is always
silver/white and gets lots in most colors, and the tied items are cloth
wraps with cord ties and the cord is always white.

I forsee an awful lot of schoolgirl and "sailor X" type costumes, quite
possibly combined with strip club cleavage.
[Hrm, maybe that would be Sailor XXX]

I though issue 4 was going to be a complete loss since it all seemed to
be pvp this, pvp that and I loathe pvp.

I might have to make another MA/reg scrapper now.

Well actually - I think I will make one once issue4 goes live - any
guesses as to when that will be?

Xocyll
March 26, 2005 10:32:32 AM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:41:13 -0500, "George Johnson"
<matrix29@voyager.net> wrote:

> This "Body Scaling" feature is, right now only available on the COH TEST
>server by the way.
> Basically when you create a character you can scale features by the X,
>Y, and Z axis.

Not just at creation - imported characters still get the option too. I
moved Roboneko over and attempted to make her look more robotic. The
prices are pretty high, though.

> EXPLANATION OF BODY SLIDERS
>
> Physique (Overall scaling inward or out)

Unfortunately, while you can adjust leg thickness with the Hips scale,
this is the only scale that affects the diameter of the arms. If they
added an Arms slider as well, that would assist those who want a
decently muscled female body without huge breasts.
!