Body Scaling

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Ok Shen,

How the hades do I work the new face/body scaling feature?

Maybe I'm just Google-impaired but I can't find any useful info on it.

John Trauger,

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

Vorlonagent (M), level 21 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 14 Blaster (Gun,Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph
3 answers Last reply
More about body scaling
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    "George Johnson" <> wrote in message

    Corrections on last post

    | MALE = 3+11/12 (4' 11") feet to 8 feet tall

    | MALE = 3+11/12 (3' 11") feet to 8 feet tall

    [scrolling down]

    | stocky-appearing body shape, but not for making a "Gorilla man" with
    | knuckles on the pavement. Although this is one step toward child-body
    | types and midgets --- as dwarfs have shorter proportional legs and arms
    | the average adult)

    Got it backward, sorry.
    Q: What is the definition of dwarfism?

    A: Little People of America (LPA) defines dwarfism as a medical or genetic
    condition that usually results in an adult height of 4'10" or shorter, among
    both men and women, although in some cases a person with a dwarfing
    condition may be slightly taller than that.

    Q: What are the most common types of dwarfism?

    A: By far the most frequently diagnosed cause of short stature is
    achondroplasia, a genetic condition that results in disproportionately short
    arms and legs. (The term "disproportionate" is meant only as a point of
    comparison with people who do not have achondroplasia or any other type of
    skeletal dysplasia. The arms and legs of a person with achondroplasia are
    perfectly appropriate for someone with that genetic condition.) The average
    height of adults with achondroplasia is 4'0". Other genetic conditions that
    result in short stature include spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia congenita
    (SED), diastrophic dysplasia, pseudoachondroplasia, hypochondroplasia, and
    osteogenesis imperfecta (OI). As one might expect from their names,
    pseudoachondroplasia and hypochondroplasia are conditions that are
    frequently confused with achondroplasia; diastropic dysplasia occasionally
    is, too. OI is characterized by fragile bones that fracture easily.

    According to information compiled by the Greenberg Center at Johns Hopkins
    Medical Center and by the late Lee Kitchens, a past president of LPA, the
    frequency of occurrence of the most common types of dwarfism is as follows:

    1. Achondroplasia (one per 26,000 to 40,000 births)
    2. SED (one per 95,000 births)
    3. Diastrophic dysplasia (one per 110,000 births)

    These conditions are essentially untreatable, although some people with
    achondroplasia and hypochondroplasia have undergone painful (and
    controversial) limb-lengthening surgery. LPA's position on limb-lengthening
    is that it is unnecessary surgery with unknown long-term results, and that
    it is far more useful to build a dwarf child's self-esteem. (More
    information below.)

    Proportionate dwarfism -- that is, a short-stature condition that results in
    the arms, legs, trunk, and head being the same size in relation to each
    other as would be expected with an average-size person -- is often the
    result of a hormonal deficiency, and may be treated medically.

    Although achondroplasia accounts for perhaps 70 percent of all cases of
    dwarfism, there are approximately 200 diagnosed types, and some individuals
    with dwarfism never receive a definitive diagnosis.

    Q: What is a midget?

    A: In some circles, a midget is the term used for a proportionate dwarf.
    However, the term has fallen into disfavor and is considered offensive by
    most people of short stature. The term dates back to 1865, the height of the
    "freak show" era, and was generally applied only to short-statured persons
    who were displayed for public amusement, which is why it is considered so
    unacceptable today.
    [end clip]

    As a bonus for making goofs on the previous post I submit these artistic
    comments from this web page.

    1. The part of the face that grows the most is the jaw. An infant is born
    with a tiny, rudimentary jaw that continues to grow until adulthood, so this
    is the part of the face that lengthens and develops the most. This principle
    was made clear to me when I drew a portrait of my niece at eight. It wasn't
    a bad likeness but something wasn't 'right.' Two years later, I noticed she
    looked exactly like the picture!! I realized that originally I had made the
    jaw too long for an eight year old, but she had 'grown into' her portrait.

    Another thing that defines an infant's face is the undeveloped cartilage of
    the nose. That's why they have those 'button' noses and no bridge. Human
    eyes grow very little over the course of life, compared to the rest of the
    body, and that's why babies seem to have huge eyes. A memorable
    characterization of a baby's face is Tweety Bird, with his huge cranium,
    big eyes, and the remaining features squeezed together. Forget the beak,

    2. The jaw usually defines masculinity or femininity in a face. In men,
    thanks to testosterone, the jaw is noticeably larger and squarer than in
    women. Testosterone also squares the forehead and brings the brow down lower
    over the eyes. Tom Cruise is a perfect example of these features. Many, many
    'leading men' in movies have these features because we instinctively
    associate testosterone with strength.

    3. A woman's face is defined by the smaller, more delicate jaw (not
    proportionately shorter, though) and often by the roundness of the features,
    which is indicative of estrogen. Fashion models aside, men are attracted to
    estrogen and the subsequent curves it creates all over the female. Women's
    facial features -- nose, chin -- are often more delicate and subtle than
    men's... (except for those of us with a lot of the 'old country' in our
    genes, and our potato noses, lol!)

    A woman's neck muscles are also not as large or developed as a man's.

    4. As people age past the prime of life, the jaw begins to deteriorate (oh
    goody) through the loss of teeth and bone mass. So if you are sculpting an
    elderly person, you can reduce the jaw slightly to accentuate age (in
    addition to the wrinkles.) Also, the nose continues to grow throughout one's
    lifetime, and coupled with the shrinking jaw, the face of an old person can
    look 'squeezed in.'

    5. Although the definitions of beauty are endless -- including DaVinci's
    brilliant system of ratio -- the short answer to creating an attractive face
    is symmetry. If your doll's face is correctly proportioned, and one side of
    the features is balanced to the other, chances are you'll have something you

    An easy -- and startling! -- way to check for symmetry as you sculpt is to
    hold the head-in-progress up to a hand mirror. Does one half of the face
    seem to slide upwards? Probably! Why didn't you notice it before?? This
    happens because one of your own eyes is dominant and automatically
    'corrects' the distortion in its favor...until you look
    at it backwards in the mirror. Most artists face this difficulty and all you
    can do is to keep checking the mirror and re-aligning the features until
    they are more symmetrical.

    I'll be glad to hear any questions you have -- although I might not know the
    answers! I hope some of this information is of value, even if for your own
    interest. Also, I've picked up a few tidbits of information about people
    through my fascination with anatomy...which probably won't help you sculpt,
    but are just kind of interesting:

    - in the first few months of life, a baby most resembles its father,
    Nature's way of trying to ensure he doesn't reject the child.

    - ever wonder why your teenage son drives you CRAZY? Testosterone again. As
    an adult female, you have a testosterone level of about 6. A teenage male
    can have a reading of 1000! If you didn't have to manage him with a whip and
    a chair give yourself a pat on the back.

    - one of the things that truly separates women from men is (this will be a
    shock) ...fat. The female body accumulates and stores fat in different and
    more places than men. Forget the temporary fancies of fashion -- the male
    creature is genetically designed to love fat on a woman. Really!
    - Although every face is different, there are certain 'classic' facial
    characteristics of various races. Asian faces, for example, have eyes not
    set as deeply into the sockets, and also lesser development of nose
    cartilage. This gives the face a flatter, smoother appearance. Classic
    African features can include a receding jaw (where the mouth and lips jut
    out farther than the jaw) and tiny, delicate ears. What are Caucasians
    renowned for? Big noses! (certainly true on my side of the family.)
    Have a great day,
    Diana in Canada

    Often the eye sees what it expects to see or has been taught to see rather
    than what is actually there. Make some copy machine copies of the
    photos-full face, profile, 3/4 views- and use a ruler to draw lines through
    all the major features... though the eyes are generally just about the
    middle of a young child's face, each one is different... the lines will let
    you "see" the actual difference from the "norm" for the placement of all the
    features and how they relate to each other. It will also help with the

    [skipping down]

    I'm very glad to see this discussion of doll sizes. As a sculptor, it has
    always worried me how my dolls would look with other dolls. I try to make my
    dolls close to real life sizes. When I first started out in the early 80's
    there were a lot of dolls that had hands and shoes that were way too small.
    I measured one adult male doll's shoe (from another doll maker) and then
    went to the store and found it measured the size of a child's size 3.
    Obviously the size of feet and hands vary considerably, but this was way too
    small to look believable. I've read several times that for realistic looking
    dolls it is better for the heads to be slightly larger than in real life
    rather than smaller. But too large looks funny too. When I start to worry
    about my doll's head sizes I look at a TV show that shows the audience. The
    difference is astounding. Another thing to consider is the age of the doll.
    Men’s heads get larger as they grow older as well. I have a chart somewhere
    that shows the size of the average mans ear when he is young and then how
    much larger it is when he is older. Of course all of this varies
    tremendously with individuals. I have tried to vary the sizes of my doll
    heads. Some heads just look better larger and others look better smaller.
    I've never liked the pin head look that some dolls get when their heads are
    small. I have two sizes of hands for men and am planning on a third size.
    One is more rugged, the other younger and smaller. The third will be in
    between and the more artistic, longer fingered type hand. I try to match the
    hand to what my customers say about the doll or the costume.

    Another thing I discovered about real people is that you can't tell how tall
    someone is from the size of their head. You'd think tall people would have
    big heads and vice versa. But that's not how it really is. It does look
    better that way though. Ladies heads also vary considerably and can be a
    good bit larger than a man's head when hers is large and his is small. As a
    sculptor I spend a lot of time looking at these things. And large heads
    don't necessarily mean large feet. I can see how this can be a problem for
    people buying doll kits and trying to dress them. But it's not all that
    different from real life where you need to alter patterns to fit an
    individual. I agree with Sammy that it is more realistic to have dolls of
    varying sizes rather than trying to get them all the same size. So unless a
    doll is badly out of scale (like a size 3 child's foot for an adult) you
    don't really need to worry about their size.
    ~~ Debbie Olsen ~~ Porcelain Doll Artist

    The reason the feet are much too small is that most people never come to
    terms with the looks of their hands and feet... so, just as a little child
    draws a face with the eyes at the top (the forehead has no possible use as
    far as he is concerned so he doesn't draw it), folks make doll hands and
    feet "forgettable small". Many old dolls don't even have hands or feet, the
    arms and legs just sort of stop... Along comes a person wanting to sculpt a
    doll and instead of looking at real people, the person will copy a doll they
    like and perpetuate the small foot syndrome. Most folks are not taught in
    school art classes to "see" but rather to copy so the chances of them
    sculpting from an actual person, picture, etc is practically nil unless they
    start questioning the proportions. How many people have a Barbie doll
    figure, hand and foot size?

    Priska, If you use that AB=CD height check on any doll to make sure that the
    height (not counting shoe heels) is equal to the distance from fingertip to
    fingertip...your doll WILL be in proportion. So glad things are moving
    smoothly for you. How is everyone else doing? You are free to ask any
    question today as always. If you are shy, send me a private message. I'm
    here to help.

    1/12 Scale
    What it means is that it's in the scale of 1"=1ft. So, a 6ft man would be
    6", a 5ft woman would be 5", a 4ft child would be 4" and a 2ft baby would be
    I make my woman about 5 1/4" to 5 1/2".
    Cheryl C
  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    "Vorlonagent" <> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >At least I know why I can't access it. :)

    I just finally got round to updating cohtest and trying it out.

    Very frikken nice indeed, except of course the "chest" slider for women
    only goes down a tiny bit, but goes up to strip club dancer sizes.

    Some of the new costume options are quite nice too, and there's some new
    faces and hairstyles.

    I can finally create the "cute, schoolgirlish, martial artist" I'd tried
    to way back when, since there's actually a cute face now (#10), and the
    sliders let you tweak things. Three martial arts GIs to choose from and
    2 braided hairstyles just perfect for it.

    Two bummers though - the new bracers and new "tied" glove/boots only
    have one color choice - the engraving on the bracers is always
    silver/white and gets lots in most colors, and the tied items are cloth
    wraps with cord ties and the cord is always white.

    I forsee an awful lot of schoolgirl and "sailor X" type costumes, quite
    possibly combined with strip club cleavage.
    [Hrm, maybe that would be Sailor XXX]

    I though issue 4 was going to be a complete loss since it all seemed to
    be pvp this, pvp that and I loathe pvp.

    I might have to make another MA/reg scrapper now.

    Well actually - I think I will make one once issue4 goes live - any
    guesses as to when that will be?

  3. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:41:13 -0500, "George Johnson"
    <> wrote:

    > This "Body Scaling" feature is, right now only available on the COH TEST
    >server by the way.
    > Basically when you create a character you can scale features by the X,
    >Y, and Z axis.

    Not just at creation - imported characters still get the option too. I
    moved Roboneko over and attempted to make her look more robotic. The
    prices are pretty high, though.

    > Physique (Overall scaling inward or out)

    Unfortunately, while you can adjust leg thickness with the Hips scale,
    this is the only scale that affects the diameter of the arms. If they
    added an Arms slider as well, that would assist those who want a
    decently muscled female body without huge breasts.

Defender Video Games Product