Motorola HDT100 high def off-air tuner. Arghhh!

Last response: in Home Theatre
January 8, 2005 8:47:26 PM

I have the Motorola HDT100 off-air tuner and I deeply regret buying it.
I just wanted to know if other people loathe this model too. Let's
review:

- You cannot manually set the big-ass clock. It picks up a clock signal
from the antenna, and the time is wrong 99% of the time.

- You cannot know what resolution a particular channel has. You can
select a resolution, but I would like to view channels in whatever
resolution they are broadcast without changing it.

- I receive about 6 different stations, but every once in a while one
or more of the stations gets deleted from the tuner's program and I
have to scan again.

- Recently the sound went out. The only thing that fixed it was
unplugging the tuner and plugging it back a minute later.

The Motorola tech support guy told me that all these screwups are not
problems with my tuner but that's just the way the tuner was designed.
Arghhh!
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 11:27:17 PM

I had that tuner and didn't like it also. I was having problems with
channes being deleted, and about once every few months I would just
reset the entire machine before doing the rescan. That seemed to clean
things up. As far as displaying resolution, the tuner shows the
resolution as SD or HD. You don't know if HD is 720 or 1080 though.

My HDT100 stopped receiving a good signal recently and it was still
under warrentee, so they replaced it with a HDT101 (they no longer make
the HDT100's). It looks like a little better design. One change that
could be annoying is that now it has a little fan that runs when the
tuner is on.

Good luck. This tuner was very expensive and is a real piece of junk.
I wish they would spend less time on the bubble graphics and more on
just making a tuner that works as well as the one in my TV. How about
a "return to last channel" button? No, you have to add the channels to
your favorites, hit the favorites button, select the channel you want
and hit OK. I only have 5 channels anyway, it's less button presses to
go up through the channels one by one.

Dave (remove "_rem" to reply)
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 7:58:04 AM

So I picked this unit up as an open box special at Circuit City.
Great deal, but this thing is killing me. I have a decent antenna,
Terk TV32, and I am only 7 miles away from the FURTHEST broadcaster.
Maybe either of you can help me out. I go from a perfect signal...
90-100% to "bad or no signal". It's like someone flipping a switch
on and off! When i first installed this thing it worked great, no
problems at all... now I can't watch for 2 minutes without it
blinking in and out 10 times. I'm ready to toss it out the window.

Any suggestions????????
April 27, 2005 9:48:35 AM

? Have you tried another HD Receiver? Are you receiving multiple directive
signals? What are the signal levels for the HD available signals? Have you
checked the connections from the antenna to the receiver and from the
receiver to the TV. is the antenna sitting inside the house alongside all
the other electronic equipment? <
"HRD Cable Guy" <nichlas.byrd@cox-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> So I picked this unit up as an open box special at Circuit City.
> Great deal, but this thing is killing me. I have a decent antenna,
> Terk TV32, and I am only 7 miles away from the FURTHEST broadcaster.
> Maybe either of you can help me out. I go from a perfect signal...
> 90-100% to "bad or no signal". It's like someone flipping a switch
> on and off! When i first installed this thing it worked great, no
> problems at all... now I can't watch for 2 minutes without it
> blinking in and out 10 times. I'm ready to toss it out the window.
>
> Any suggestions????????

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:23:12 PM

HRD Cable Guy wrote:

> So I picked this unit up as an open box special at Circuit City.
> Great deal, but this thing is killing me. I have a decent antenna,
> Terk TV32, and I am only 7 miles away from the FURTHEST broadcaster.
> Maybe either of you can help me out. I go from a perfect signal...
> 90-100% to "bad or no signal". It's like someone flipping a switch
> on and off! When i first installed this thing it worked great, no
> problems at all... now I can't watch for 2 minutes without it
> blinking in and out 10 times. I'm ready to toss it out the window.
>
> Any suggestions????????

Skip the Terk antenna........ Go buy a Channel Master
UHF 3021 4 bay bow tie unit... For $25 at Stark Electronics
Good from channel 7 thru Channel 59

http://www.starkelecronic.com

Use some good RG-6 antenna cable that is dual shielded.

Sounds like you have a loose antenna cable joint....
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 5:55:47 PM

HRD Cable Guy (nichlas.byrd@cox-dot-com.no-spam.invalid) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> I have a decent antenna,
> Terk TV32

"Terk" and "decent antenna" don't ever belong in the same sentence unless
it says "ditch the Terk and get a decent antenna".

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/WorkingDo...
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 4:11:52 AM

I had the same exact problem!! The signal was actually too strong, and the
advice I got was to go to radio shack and buy a signal attenuator. They
have an adjustable one, you just put it inline between the antenna and the
TV, start with the knob at full power, and then turn it down until it stops
dropping out. Mine is set at halfway, and it COMPLETELY fixed the problem.
Good Luck! Allison

!