Sign in with
Your question

Icon says I am connected to the internet but cant access the internet

Last response: in Networking
August 28, 2007 5:54:52 AM

On my boyfriend's laptop, in the toolbar at the bottom, it says that he is connected to the internet. When he goes to open up the web browser, it says that the page cannot be displayed. I have called the ISP, the computer manufacturer, and no one seems to know what the problem is. When I did a diagnostics test on it, it said that I cannot connect because of the FTP, HTP, and HTTPS ports. Do I just go in and add the ports under the firewall section, or is there something else that I need to do to get the internet up and working?

One more piece of information that might be of concern, he tried getting on the internet at a place that had limited use of internet there. (IE: only certain webpages can be visited) Would this have closed his ports on his computer? Is that why it says that he is connected, but can't get on any webpages?

Please help!!!!
August 28, 2007 12:59:00 PM

i would suggest you try going in Bareback (turn off all protection) and see if you can connect then then turnthings on one by one until you lose connection you'll find the problem that way
August 28, 2007 5:43:29 PM

i found out that the problem was with norton. it was blocking all internet connections! thanks anyways though.
Related resources
!