game runs slow - HELP PLEASE!

davids_3545_2

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
I downloaded F.E.A.R combat and have having some problems with it. At first it runs good (over 80fps) for 5 mins, after that the fps drops to around 12, i have tried everything but can't find any solutions, i was wondering what i should/could do to fix this problem

by the way i have an X1900GT and am running Windows Vista Home Premium

logical2u

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
My first guess would be overheating is a big problem here. It could be throttling back your videocard based on the latent heat, as I seem to remember that Pentium Ds are incredibly hot...

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Windows Vista

Sounds like -part- of the problem right there.
Everything runs slower on Vista if it runs at all.
Microsoft stated it would not support Vista at the end of 2008 only two months after it went on sale.

With your specs and XP that game should be screaming!

Don't believe the fud avout vista. It runs fine. Overheating is a likely issue. Try running with the side panel off. Set a small house fan to help cool the case if needed. Do you have a way to get the cpu,case, and vga temperetures? If one of them is high, you will know where tthe problem is. Current parts have the ability to throttle back if they get too hot. Your overclocks may have caused some problems, I would test by backing them off.

it may take that 5 minutes to heat up, then if it gets too hot it will start the throttle to save it self.

my friend wonder why a game was doing this it turned out his cpu was @ 102c+

Quick heatsink clean and he's off to the races again.

try speedfan to see your temps

As for Vista. If its running @ 80 there's no reason for it to drop all the sudden.

My vote goes to heat on the CPU. as your video card can take ALLLLOOOTTT of heat and keep going.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Download Throttlewatch and run it while you play your game. It should tell you if your CPU speed is being throttled down. If it is, you have a heat problem.

Be sure to click view / frequency graph to see the relevant information.