Sign in with
Your question

The old dual-boot XP32/Vista64 trick...

Last response: in Windows XP
January 23, 2009 11:25:11 PM

See rig in "sig"...

*IF Asus sends me a new P5B-D to replace the fried one, the new one may not have the "1237" newest bios I had in the original MB...Will the OS, apps, and files on this original HD work w/ new MB?? OR, do I need to format that original HD and re-load everything anyway?

*If I get a second HD, the WD "Black" 640gig, and I do want Vista 64bit OS to run more than 4 gig of memory, BUT I want to retain XP for some old apps & games, how do I set up a dual-boot in this circumstance? Are both OS's going on the new HD, or XP on the older HD, and Vista64 on new HD? And, when comp started up, I will have option to go into either OS...?
January 24, 2009 2:21:52 PM

bbtennis1 said:
See rig in "sig"...

*IF Asus sends me a new P5B-D to replace the fried one, the new one may not have the "1237" newest bios I had in the original MB...Will the OS, apps, and files on this original HD work w/ new MB?? OR, do I need to format that original HD and re-load everything anyway?

////////////////////////////////////////////Just update the M/Bs bios to the 1237 version, if its an exact replacement M/B everything will be at home, You should be able to update the BIOS using a USB Flash drive and the Auto Update feature in the ASUS CMOS setup./////////////////////////////////////////////

*If I get a second HD, the WD "Black" 640gig, and I do want Vista 64bit OS to run more than 4 gig of memory, BUT I want to retain XP for some old apps & games, how do I set up a dual-boot in this circumstance? Are both OS's going on the new HD, or XP on the older HD, and Vista64 on new HD? And, when comp started up, I will have option to go into either OS...?

///////////////////////////////////////////What you do is your business but dual booting WinXP and Vista is not a good idea unless you like your Vista Restore Points to vanish everytime you boot into XP, thats a problem MSFT is fully aware of and I just went through myself and thats just a heads up FYI////////////////////////////////////////

January 25, 2009 1:42:38 AM

Ryan.... does this apply when using Vista's bootloader for both or when using the BIOS boot menu? For instance, I can't see this being an issue when the OSes are installed individually on two hard drives and you use the BIOS to select which drive to boot from. I see it being a possible issue when you use Vista's bootloader to boot XP... especially if both OSes exist on different partitions of the same drive.

In the first scenario, each OS is practically invisible to the other... so I can't see restore points being affected.
Related resources
January 25, 2009 12:27:09 PM

Zoron said:
Ryan.... does this apply when using Vista's bootloader for both or when using the BIOS boot menu? For instance, I can't see this being an issue when the OSes are installed individually on two hard drives and you use the BIOS to select which drive to boot from. I see it being a possible issue when you use Vista's bootloader to boot XP... especially if both OSes exist on different partitions of the same drive.

In the first scenario, each OS is practically invisible to the other... so I can't see restore points being affected.

My setup was dual booting from 2 independent HDDs one with Vista Installed the other with WinXP, I'd F8 my boot menu to select which HDD to boot from, as long as I didn't boot from the XP HDD my Vista restore points were there, as soon as I booted from the XP HDD and went back to boot into Vista the restore points were gone every time.

Loosing your restore points in Vista is a really bad thing unless you have an imaged backup like Acronis to restore the OP/SYS, and my bad, I have Acronis I was just so into getting Vista up and going, that I didn't think I needed to Image it until trouble arose and all my restore points were MIA.

What the heck man we're all learning as we go here anyway, and trying to save others the trouble of making the same mistakes we did, so I completely erased the Vista HDD and Cloned a backup fully operational copy of WinXP [legal product key], for the time being, I'm not through with Vista by no means, I'm not giving up on it since I actually bought the full Retail version of it, but the next time I install it I won't make the same mistakes again.

I'll make new ones! :lol: 

I discovered this MSFT article after the fact, it has a work around in the article but it was too late to do me any good.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185
January 25, 2009 1:12:05 PM

Ryan...

Thx for that MS link. I KNOW I'll screw this "dual-boot" thing up, somehow...

Going from blowing up a MB (Asus P5B-D), to blowing up a dual-OS install...
January 25, 2009 9:59:03 PM

bbtennis1 said:
Ryan...

Thx for that MS link. I KNOW I'll screw this "dual-boot" thing up, somehow...

Going from blowing up a MB (Asus P5B-D), to blowing up a dual-OS install...

In my opinion the best way to dual boot is to use 2 HDDs and use the F8 boot selection feature, the HDD you set in the BIOS as the first boot will always be the default boot HDD, if thats the operating system you want to boot to, you do not press F8, only press F8 when you want to change and boot to the other HDD.

To setup;

Independently [Meaning disconnect the other HDD thats not being installed to] install the intended operating system to each HDD , then hook both HDDs up and you're in business.
!