Using Pocket IE while connected to PC via Activesync

August 23, 2005 2:10:04 AM

(iPAQ rz1710, WM 20032e)
Is there a way to do this? I tried to use PIE while PC was online but
couldn't connect.

David Patterson
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:10:05 AM

David,

Yes, this is possible. Once your device is connected to your PC via
ActiveSync, make sure that your network connections are correct. You should
have them on "My ISP".

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"David Patterson" <djpatto@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> (iPAQ rz1710, WM 20032e)
> Is there a way to do this? I tried to use PIE while PC was online but
> couldn't connect.
>
> David Patterson

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:58:09 AM

Sorry; If I've understood youcorrectly then I have 2 questions here really

1: If my PC is already online can I share its Internet connection with PIE?

2: Settings asks for all the info for a new dialup, implying PIE will run
the TAPI interface on the PC. Is this correct?

Dave
"Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
<management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
> David,
>
> Yes, this is possible. Once your device is connected to your PC via
> ActiveSync, make sure that your network connections are correct. You
should
> have them on "My ISP".
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor / Owner
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>
> "David Patterson" <djpatto@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> > (iPAQ rz1710, WM 20032e)
> > Is there a way to do this? I tried to use PIE while PC was online but
> > couldn't connect.
> >
> > David Patterson

August 23, 2005 2:58:10 AM

David,

1. That is correct. To do this, connect your P/PC to your PC via
ActiveSync. Start PIE on your P/PC and you can surf the web from there.

2. You will not need to dial up at all from the P/PC nor set up any
connection.

I probably should have started with this question: What device are you
doing this on? What version of Pocket PC? What version of ActiveSync?

Thanks,

--

> Sorry; If I've understood youcorrectly then I have 2 questions here really
>
> 1: If my PC is already online can I share its Internet connection with
> PIE?
>
> 2: Settings asks for all the info for a new dialup, implying PIE will run
> the TAPI interface on the PC. Is this correct?
>
> Dave
> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
>> David,
>>
>> Yes, this is possible. Once your device is connected to your PC via
>> ActiveSync, make sure that your network connections are correct. You
> should
>> have them on "My ISP".
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Clinton Fitch
>> Senior Editor / Owner
>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>
>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>
>> "David Patterson" <djpatto@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>> > (iPAQ rz1710, WM 20032e)
>> > Is there a way to do this? I tried to use PIE while PC was online but
>> > couldn't connect.
>> >
>> > David Patterson

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:50:10 PM

"David Patterson" <djpatto@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> (iPAQ rz1710, WM 20032e)
> Is there a way to do this? I tried to use PIE while PC was online but
> couldn't connect.
>
> David Patterson

David, the default AcitveSync installation will allow you to do this.

Make sure the ActiveSync configuration on your desktop is set to allow
internet access and it is set to "The Internet".

Next, make sure there are no personal firewall blocking any communications
on your desktop. Zone Alarm should be set to medium, and rules added to
Norton IS.

Also, sometimes a couple of configuration files are deleted by mistake on
the Pocket PC - they have strange names so they looks lke some temporary
file. To recreate these files follow these steps:

On your Pocket PC open File Explorer
Browse to \Windows
Tap welcome.exe and follow instructions
Soft reset the Pocket PC
Place in the cradle and try again

To make sure the connection is working you can download and install the
(free) VxUtil (www.cam.com) and use it to PING a known server (www.wired.com
for example). If it works then the problem is certaily on PIE, not the
connection.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Software for Pocket PC directly on your device:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inhand.asp
!