Trying to Setup my F5D7230-4 as an AP with a Netgear WGR614 router

goodpunk6

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
I'm a n00b

So I've got a cable modem and issues. I'm using a Netgear WGR614 v6 as my router and I've got one PC wired to it. I've also got two laptops that connect wirelessly to it. I'm trying to install a Belkin F5D7230-4 as an access point but I have absolutely no idea how.

So I followed the instructions that I got from the belkin website on how to set up an access point but it doesn't work.

In the end, I'm trying to use the belkin to connect to the netgear wirelessly.

If anybody has a guide of some sort or if you can help me out in some way it would be greatly appreciated.

If there is any other info you need, please ask.

akhilles

Splendid
So you have 2 wireless routers & want to use both to connect to your computers?

Most of the time if the official instructions don't work, it's because the settings have changed. i.e. The router IP Address is non-default. i.e. 192.168.0.1 to 10.0.0.1 for "security" reasons. It'll only add to your headache.

I used to have a range extender that took me ages to get it to work. How? I used default ip for my router.

So try to reset the routers & use non-conflicting default ip's. Since they're both wireless routers, their ips may conflict. You set up the 2nd one as 192.168.100.1 for example. & wire this router to your main router. & set up both routers according to instructions.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13348

FWIW, my range extender didn't need a wire. It was set up via a wire to my pc, then disconnected from it. It then would auto connect to my wireless router & extend the range to 3 floors, once I connected to it wirelessly from pc. They were both dlink. I upgraded to n, the extender is incompatible, but then again n per se covers a larger area.