Best cooler for Q6600

Papaya_Man

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
So I am getting a Q6600 and I was wondering what are some good aftermarket heatsinks for it. Case is a Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS and mobo is EVGA 680i A1. Also, which is better? Artic Silver 5, Ceramique, or Alumina?

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Check the overclocking guide for core2duo by WUSY..... That thread have a list of top aftermarket coolers. I personally would choose zalman 7900LED for the look or tuniq tower 120 for cooling. Both HSF are very large, might not fit your system. Arctic silver 5 is very popular, but i've seen a large number of people saying Arctic Silver ceramique is better than Arctic Silver5. I'm not sure about Alumina since i haven't seen people use it. Maybe it's not good since nobody use it.

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Using an Ultra-120 Extreme on my Q6600 o/ced to 9x333.

Be warned that all C2D and quad C2D chip are known to have irregularly shaped IHS (internal heat spreaders) meaning good contact between the HS and core can be difficult. You can consider lapping both the base of the HS and the IHS on your chip to give better temps. I knocked 7 °C off my load temps from the coolest core and over 10 °C off my load temps from the hottest core by lapping both the IHS on the Q6600 and the base of the ultra-120 extreme. See pics and temp graphs in those two threads.

Papaya_Man

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Ultra Extreme would be nice if any stores had it in stock, I will probably go Zalman 9700 if I can't find one. I would lap the CPU but dont really have the confidence for it. Split down the middle between AS5 and Ceramique though...both seem like decent choices.

Papaya_Man

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Got lucky on newegg and got the Ultra 120 eXtreme with a Scythe S-flex fan and AS5. Seems like a good deal but is there anything specific I should know when installing this heatsink on my mobo?

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Nothing specific. Read the instruction that come with it and read the instructions for applying AS5 from their website. Don't listen to people in here that tell you otherwise.

One tip: do a dry run mount, i.e. leave the cpu out of the MB and make sure you know where the u-120 x will sit over the cpu such that it is centered. It is possible to mount it off-center on a P5B-Del which gives higher temps.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
So I am getting a Q6600 and I was wondering what are some good aftermarket heatsinks for it. Case is a Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS and mobo is EVGA 680i A1. Also, which is better? Artic Silver 5, Ceramique, or Alumina?

The best air coolers hands down are Thermalright.
The TIM that comes with the coolers is fine and 1/2C less with another brand is not worth the extra money.

The Thermalright coolers are also about as FLAT corner-to-corner as you could hope for and trying to lap one without custom tools will only make then less so.
The person who did his and the CPU would have had the same (or better) results from just laping the CPU.

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
ZOldDude said:
The Thermalright coolers are also about as FLAT corner-to-corner as you could hope for and trying to lap one without custom tools will only make then less so.
The person who did his and the CPU would have had the same (or better) results from just laping the CPU.

That's me, and your statement is not accurate at all. Yes, TR makes a great cooler, but they are not flat corner-to-corner at all. There are numerous threads that agree with my result. Look at the pics in my thread. You can clearly see this HS was convex.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Eh, it's pretty much just a rebranded Freezer 7 Pro with a plastic shroud. The Freezer 7 tends to be cheaper too.

If you can afford get a Tuniq Tower or Ultra 120, do it. Seriously, they're both MILES ahead of the Freezer 7 and Hyper TX.

Imagine the stock hsf as a fly, the Freezer 7 as a pigeon, the Tuniq Tower and Ultra 120 as supersonic jets, water cooling as a hypersonic jet, cascade coolers, phase change systems, TECs, ect., as the speed of light, and dry ice/LN2 cooling as some crazy space ship capable of FTL travel. Oh, and for reference, no hsf, just the bare chip, as moving backwards, and absolute zero as Warp 10 (infinite speed). Now put all of 'em in a race to the center of the universe.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Eh, it's pretty much just a rebranded Freezer 7 Pro with a plastic shroud. The Freezer 7 tends to be cheaper too.

If you can afford get a Tuniq Tower or Ultra 120, do it. Seriously, they're both MILES ahead of the Freezer 7 and Hyper TX.

Imagine the stock hsf as a fly, the Freezer 7 as a pigeon, the Tuniq Tower and Ultra 120 as supersonic jets, water cooling as a hypersonic jet, cascade coolers, phase change systems, TECs, ect., as the speed of light, and dry ice/LN2 cooling as some crazy space ship capable of FTL travel. Oh, and for reference, no hsf, just the bare chip, as moving backwards, and absolute zero as Warp 10 (infinite speed). Now put all of 'em in a race to the center of the universe.

ahem... back to the subject...

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Hey, he asked about the Hyper TX, that's the best way I could think of to compare them. Now that I think about it a little more, benchmarks may have been slightly more effective, but still. Scramjet.

Tuniq Tower VS Ultra 120
Freezer 7 Pro, similar setup

The Freezer 7 (as I said before, the Hyper TX is virtually the same.) can keep a stock X6800 under full load at about 51c, the Tuniq Tower at 27c, and the Ultra 120 Extreme comes in at 26c. A Q6600 is going to be hotter then an X6800, since it has twice the cores. So add 3c or 4c to those temps and that's what you'll be looking at.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
That ACF7P benchie is ridiculous. I would never use a $30 HSF to cool a 3.5ghz $1000 Extreme Edition CPU.

They should bench it cooling a 3ghz e4300 instead... also noise at that level

UniQue

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
I like Hyper TX becouse of its size, Its not too big and medium performance.
Could you give me link for Tuniq Tower 120? I don't have any info about it :D

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Well, of course you wouldnt. Nobody oc'ing that kind of chip would. The results are still valid nonetheless.

@UniQue: Look at my last post.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
3 pin connector, plus a 2 pin (IIRC) connector for the fan control knob. You don't have to use the 2 pin thing though, if it's disconnected the fan just runs at full speed.

I, personally, don't have the performance chart, but that link to the AnandTech article does.

Spanki

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Hey, he asked about the Hyper TX, that's the best way I could think of to compare them. Now that I think about it a little more, benchmarks may have been slightly more effective, but still. Scramjet.

Tuniq Tower VS Ultra 120
Freezer 7 Pro, similar setup

The Freezer 7 (as I said before, the Hyper TX is virtually the same.) can keep a stock X6800 under full load at about 51c, the Tuniq Tower at 27c, and the Ultra 120 Extreme comes in at 26c. A Q6600 is going to be hotter then an X6800, since it has twice the cores. So add 3c or 4c to those temps and that's what you'll be looking at.

Uhm... you do know that you can't cross-compare HSF reviews like that with any sort of validity.. right?

- two different processors
- no idea what voltages were being used in the AT review
- the AT review only states the resulting temps, not what the ambient was (maybe it's listed there somewhere, but you have to subtract that from the overall temp to know anything about the cooler performance).
- even assuming the above could be cross-referenced, you quoted Load temps for the AC7, and Idle temps for the Ultra 120/Tuniq (oops :) )
- even assuming all of the above was straightened out, the 'load' temps in the AT review were based on looping a "Far Cry River demo"... nothing like the Orthos test on the other system.

...even if the two reviews used all the same parts and ran the same tests, you still have to factor in which fans were used, which TIM was used (and how long it had set up), the "human error" factor (assuming one human has pretty much the same level between two within the same review... get two different humans doing two different reviews and all bets are off).

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that your general statement (TR 120 (with the right fan) and Tuniq are better coolers than the AC7/Hyper Tx), is incorrect, but the data you offer up for comparison purposes is... not a particularly good way to know what the difference is :).