Linux free down load

cwynnj

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Hello,
Can I get a free copy of Linux, burn to a DVD with boot files or self install? Then run the ISO for Win 7 or do I have to uninstall Linux to install Win 7 from the ISO

Solution
you can dual boot between windows 7 and a linux operating system. it is preferable to have windows installed first.

Ubuntu and Fedora are operating systems based on the Linux kernel. There are many operating systems that use the Linux kernel (sometimes these are called "Linux distros"). I recommend either Fedora 17 or Ubuntu 12.04.

footer_logo.png
How to install Ubuntu 12.04

705767843.png
How to install Fedora 17

chamaecyparis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

You may do whatever you like -- it helps to know what hardware will be used for a GNU/Linux install and what your desires and/or expectations are with regard to a dual boot (for this is what you are speaking of, no?). There is a "Sticky" pertaining to this topic located above. Read it, please.

For a linux distro with wide selection of applictions and ease of use out-of-the-box, I suggest SolusOS ( http://solusos.com ).

cwynnj

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks for the comeback. The info is greatly appreciated.

However, more info is needed for my situation. I put a replaced a hard drive in a laptop and installed Win 7 and the computer booted up. But it was a small hard drive (160 Gb) & I want to put a used 500gb in. I Formatted and overwrote the disk and when I tried to clone the smaller drive NONE of my other computers could see it. I assigned a drive letter f: and then I could see it and cloned the 160gb that was booting the laptop. Then when I installed it (into the laptop) the 500gb it would not boot.

I thought maybe I could put Linux on it & boot from there and that is why I asked the question.

So you see I really wasn't so much interested in Linux as I need to know HOW to make the 500gb bootable. I have tried to repair the boot manager but it doesn't seem to help.

I have temporarily given up but will try again sometime in the future.

I remember in DOS I used to format the HD with the format/s command but does the formatting have to be done from the computer it will be on or can it be done on any computer? You see I am not proficient in working with hard drives. Haven't done one in 20 years or more. Not sure I even remember how to do it in DOS.

cwynnj

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks for the comeback. The info is greatly appreciated.

However, more info is needed for my situation. I replaced a hard drive in a laptop and installed Win 7 and the computer booted up. But it was a small hard drive (160 Gb) & I want to put a used 500gb in. I Formatted and overwrote the disk and when I tried to clone the smaller drive NONE of my other computers could see it. I assigned a drive letter f: and then I could see it and cloned the 160gb that was booting the laptop. Then when I installed it (into the laptop) the 500gb would not boot.

I thought maybe I could put Linux on it & boot from there and that is why I asked the question.

So you see I really wasn't so much interested in Linux as I need to know HOW to make the 500gb bootable. I have tried to repair the boot manager but it doesn't seem to help.

I have temporarily given up but will try again sometime in the future.

I remember in DOS I used to format the HD with the format/s command but does the formatting have to be done from the computer it will be on or can it be done on any computer? You see I am not proficient in working with hard drives. Haven't done one in 20 years or more. Not sure I even remember how to do it in DOS.