First and last MSI M/B I'll buy (USB2/IDE problems)

BlendedRacer

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
Hi,

I finally upgraded my 2.4G Celeron (ASUS m/b) to a Core 2 Duo on a MSI 965 platinum m/b.

I think MSI must have a deal with computer repair shops, because the thing is a nightmare to setup.

The following is my opinion and may not be correct :roll:

There are no USB 2 drivers on the install CD, so the ports are all slow unless you can get google to tell you where to find the right drivers.

The JMicron IDE port is a pain in the butt to setup. DMA won't work without the RAID drivers (apparently???), but there is little info on how to set it up.

If you setup the boot order to 1st) Optical, 2nd) HDD, the startup will stop and ask for a boot CD to be put in the drive, rather than checking and ignoring an empty drive.

I got the m/b to get the onboard firewire, which thankfully works out of the box :) .

Cheers Steve

azmtbkr81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
As far as USB 2 goes (I'm assuming you are running Windows XP) make sure you have service pack 2 installed and you shouldn't need to download drivers. If you are installing XP from an older CD you'll need to install about a million updates including SP2, open up IE and click on Tools > Windows update to start the process.

BlendedRacer

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. The OS is Windows XP SP2 - brand new.

As far as USB 2 goes (I'm assuming you are running Windows XP) make sure you have service pack 2 installed and you shouldn't need to download drivers. If you are installing XP from an older CD you'll need to install about a million updates including SP2, open up IE and click on Tools > Windows update to start the process.

Windows XP provides the drivers for USB ports, there is no need for any company to provide these drivers since they are all standard. You are experiencing a Windows XP issue, not an issue with the Mobo unless all the USB ports are physically defective.

You may need to uninstall the drivers from the device manager for each of the USBs. Then reboot so that Windows will attempt to reinstall the drivers. It is not uncommon for things to mess up during Windows installs. For example, SpeedStep absolutely did not work in my MSI 975X Platinum. I had to reinstall Windows XP for StepStep to work.

As for the JMicron IDE port, that problem is not isolated to MSI. Any mobo with JMicron will have the same issue. Simply install the JMicron RAID drivers from the CD and your IDE port should be fine. I do not recall having to set it up. If you plan on using RAID 0 or 1, then yeah you will need to set it up. Don't as me how though since I am not using RAID.