old school Math Teacher need your help

irx7fani

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
Hi every body,

I have a Dell Dimension 9100 (W8400 PROCESSOR, 80547, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 630, SKT-T, MALE) and I would like to upgrade to a core dou 2 E6600. Is it okay for me to upgrade the mobo/cpu without upgrading the PSU or the case? I used to be into computers, but after the Pentium 4, teaching took most of my time, so please explain your response like you're talking to a non-techie individual. =)

Thanks,
Andy

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Welcome to the forums.
It would help if you knew exactly the specs of your system. From what i found in Dell's site and the processor that i see in your message i can only say that you will probably need a new case and psu. That is because your case follows the BTX architecture, a "standard" not at all popular among mobo manufacturers. In other words you will have trouble finding a new mobo that could fit in your case. Same about your psu. Probably it would not fit in your new case. Please check out your system, any documentation you may still have to confirm that you have a BTX system. Until then...

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Hi every body,

I have a Dell Dimension 9100 (W8400 PROCESSOR, 80547, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 630, SKT-T, MALE) and I would like to upgrade to a core dou 2 E6600. Is it okay for me to upgrade the mobo/cpu without upgrading the PSU or the case? I used to be into computers, but after the Pentium 4, teaching took most of my time, so please explain your response like you're talking to a non-techie individual. =)

Thanks,
Andy

Not such a good idea... dont skimp.

You could always get a good cheap case and psu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104954
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=1295819209+1054808287&Description=centurion&name=ATX+Mid+Tower

the Dell case might be BTX, which is a completely differenct mobo/case standard from ATX. BTX is used pretty much only by Dell/HP/Gateway.

Are you planning to overclock? What kind of graphics card do you have? Please list your entire rig so we knnow how much power it needs.

I would NOT recommend trying to upgrade on a Dell PSU. I had a pretty BAD experience with that several mos ago.

Once you answer these questions we can get right to work.

Rripperr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Just so you know, Dell uses highly proprietary (sp?) materials and engineering. Unfortunately , in your case, this severely limits the amount of upgrading you can do with their systems. You'd be better off buildiing your own system from scratch, and maybe re-use some of the parts (like dvd/cd-drives, sound card, etc.). Don't forget, you can re-use you mouse keyboard, speakers, and monitor with almost any system.

At the very least, you will need a new case, motherboard (sckt 775), processor, PSU, and a newer PCIe video card (they don't use AGP anymore). I would also recommend a newer SATA HDD for your primary, and you can use your 'old' HDD for a secondary if you wish to.

Don't forget, you'll need a new XP or Vista edition, as the combo of mobo/CPU upgrade will void out your OEM XP edition.

irx7fani

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
thanks for the great replies everyone...

my Dell Dimension 9100 currently have:

P4 Prescott 3.0ghz
24" Dell Widescreen using DVI
3GB of PC-4200 DDR RAM
ATi 256MB X600 pci-express
2 SATA HDD

I would like to change the CPU to something more efficient and quicker as I am looking forward to playing Starcraft II and Team Fortress II. I was just thinking of a ~$300 upgrade since I've seen the E6600 w/ ECS mobo for like $200 at Fry's (store in CA). Back in the days, Nvidia was doing a real good job with the nForce as their chipset, I don't know if there's something new that's better, but please recommend some well built mobo; because if I remember currectly, motherboard can also effect performance greatly.

BTW,
I appreciate all your help :lol:

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
prescott aint that bad (540)

Getting a 6600 with an ECS mobo means you wont be able to OC. Getting an e4300 with a Gigabyte GA965PDS3 would be around 250 and would be faster at 3ghz.

You really should get a new case, I dont think that your current case will work.

If you want to play vid games better get a new video card. It will increase your performance much more than a new cpu.

that said here are some great deals: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1664322#1664322

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
um guys lets not forget the ram. DDR will not work.
James

As far as I know his PC is ddr2 and pciexpress ready....

yep i checked back at poppa dell, and his PC is very similar to mine (dell dimension xps gen 3). They both support PCI Express and DDR2 533 (pc2 4200)

i would definitely get a new psu and case though. Ill ask again: are you planning to OC or not? If yes, get an e4300 and DS3, if no, get an e6600 and any decent mobo.

Keep your ram, it should work fine, and 3gigs is great.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
The best bang for the buck to be able to play a new game is to upgrade the video card - not the CPU.

said it....

then again, I wouldnt trust his PSU for a new GPU.... i tried to upgrade my dell xps gen 3, and well it was dead for 4 mos... 8O

since the psu is probably proprietary (mine is a slab that takes up a second casing under the case 8O ) you wont be able to run a decent (at least 7600gt) gpu off of it. You COULD get a 5.25" PSU, but that adds the cost of $55.

The best bang for the buck is: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1664322#1664322

I would say the BFG 7900GS for $100 after MIR and:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153037
Thermaltake 250w GPU PSU $55

Total: $155 .... good $hit

irx7fani

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
James
i would definitely get a new psu and case though. Ill ask again: are you planning to OC or not? If yes, get an e4300 and DS3, if no, get an e6600 and any decent mobo.

Yeah i have DDR and PCIe already, I'm not planning to overclock because I think I will mess it up, and I really don't like loud fans or the water cooled method. I'm not looking to spend a lot, I just figured it's time to upgrade to something more efficient. BTW, my service tag is FPNDG81 so if would like to look up my complete specs, it's up on Dell's website.

Also, Rugger said just upgrade the CPU and I should be fine for today's games, are we all agree that it's a good idea? I'm not up to date with today's gaming specs/requirements, so I don't know what to shoot for.

Thanks for your help.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Your XPS Gen 3 and his 9100 are almost completely different. the 9xxx series, as you know, is BTX, but uses a standard ATX style PSU. It can be replaced by any number of aftermarket PSUs, but there really shouldn't be any need for that; the 305 watt unit should have enough headroom left for a fairly significant GPU upgrade.

To the OP: if you want a core2 duo CPU, the easiest route would be to buy a 9200 mobo off ebay. Your 9100 mobo won't support Core 2, however, the 9200 mobo will. As the cases are identical between the 9100 and 9200, it should be a very simple swap. The factory Dell XP OS will not need to be reinstalled either. This is, by far, the simplest solution.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
James

Yeah i have DDR and PCIe already, I'm not planning to overclock because I think I will mess it up, and I really don't like loud fans or the water cooled method. I'm not looking to spend a lot, I just figured it's time to upgrade to something more efficient. BTW, my service tag is FPNDG81 so if would like to look up my complete specs, it's up on Dell's website.

Also, Rugger said just upgrade the CPU and I should be fine for today's games, are we all agree that it's a good idea? I'm not up to date with today's gaming specs/requirements, so I don't know what to shoot for.

Thanks for your help.

i think that all will agree that to make your pc better at gaming is NOT to upgrade the cpu (pentium 4/Core 2 Duo e6600), but to upgrade the gpu (Graphics Card/video Card/ATI X600/ Nvidia7900GS). Your CPU is fine for gaming, I have a similar one. Earlier this week I upgraded my graphics card to a 7600GT and saw excellent increases in performance. My PSU (Power Supply) though, like yours is pretty weak and cannot power high end graphics cards.

Your XPS Gen 3 and his 9100 are almost completely different. the 9xxx series, as you know, is BTX, but uses a standard ATX style PSU. It can be replaced by any number of aftermarket PSUs, but there really shouldn't be any need for that; the 305 watt unit should have enough headroom left for a fairly significant GPU upgrade.

Pics??? I need pics showing a dell 9100 with a standard ATX psu. I havent seen anything remotely standard in a dell... ever. My PSU is painfully proprietary like my mobo which has no integrated video, or sound, and has 6?? expansion slots.

I would NOT upgrade the GPU on that psu. I tried upgrading to a 7900gs on my 460w dual 17a PSU and my pc died. im now using a GF7600gt which relies on the PCI Express Slot for power.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
You need pics? Google the Dell user forum. Come on now billdcat4, do you really need me to put the title of "Resident Dell Expert" back into my signature for you and others to recognize that I'm an authoritative source of Dell knowledge? :lol:

Video card upgrade is the better option - not the CPU. Do us a favor...open up the side of you case, look at the PSU, and give us the following info:
1. Model number for the PSU
2. Amperage ratings for the 3.3V, 5V, and 12V rails. If there are multiple 12V rails, then give us both. If there is a statement of max 12V wattage, then let us know that, too.

It might be easier to take a picture so we can take a look at what you've got. It should be 375W PSU, but the important factor in a PSU when doing a GPU (video card) upgrade is the amperage on the 12V rails.

BTW, Dell typically uses PC Power and Cooling as an OEM for their desktop computers. In case you don't know PCP&C is one of the best, if not the best, PSU mfrs.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
The 9100/9200s came with a 375 watt PSU with 18A per 12V rail, 30A combined max sustained 12V output.

The 305 watts I mentioned earlier is actually for the e5xx series of BTX Dells, all the 9xxx and the XPS 410 use the 375 watt varient.

irx7fani

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
Video card upgrade is the better option - not the CPU. Do us a favor...open up the side of you case, look at the PSU, and give us the following info:
1. Model number for the PSU
2. Amperage ratings for the 3.3V, 5V, and 12V rails. If there are multiple 12V rails, then give us both. If there is a statement of max 12V wattage, then let us know that, too.

It might be easier to take a picture so we can take a look at what you've got. It should be 375W PSU, but the important factor in a PSU when doing a GPU (video card) upgrade is the amperage on the 12V rails.

BTW, Dell typically uses PC Power and Cooling as an OEM for their desktop computers. In case you don't know PCP&C is one of the best, if not the best, PSU mfrs.

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

CPU Heatsink

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I recently upgraded a Dell E510 with a 7950GT and a HIPER 580 PSU.

You can get a BFG GeForce 7950GT for $149 after rebate and a COOLMAX 500W PSU for $60. This will leave you with enough left over to get a ZALMAN VF900 fan for the 7950GT, which you will need in that poorly vented Dell case. You can also use the video card, fan and PSU in a later mobo/processor upgrade.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
You should be able to put a C2D in there without a mobo or PSU upgrade. Socket T = Socket LGA775 (they're the exact same socket, just has two names). You may need a BIOS update to use the new CPU, you can download that from Dell.

For a new video card....then you may need a new PSU. PCPower & Cooling makes new PSUs made to fit Dell machines, you should give them a look-see. Depending on the video card, of course. PCP & C are the best units in the business, one of those will be plenty for anything you can fit in a Dell mid-tower case.

irx7fani

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
What is the primary game(s) that you are concerned with playing? What video card do you have in your PC right now?

my Dell Dimension 9100 currently have:

P4 Prescott 3.0ghz
24" Dell Widescreen using DVI
3GB of PC-4200 DDR RAM
ATi 256MB X600 pci-express
2 SATA HDD

Starcraft II and Team Fortress II

Isn't Starcraft II still be pre-alpha phase of development? If yes, then it's too early to start buying for a SCII. Don't know about the hardware requirements for good playability on Team Fortress II. YOu should make your purchase decisions base don current usage. There's no telling what game developers will throw into the mix by the time the game is released. For SCII, if it 1-2 yrs from release, then you may have a new PC before the game is ever even released.

What games are you currently playing that need a boost in performance? I could see you being able to upgrade to a X1950Pro with that PSU. 66W of power consumption and most of the performance of the X1800XT.

irx7fani

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
I think it would probably be better for me just to wait for Starcraft II and just buy a new computer. It's probably will save me a lot of head aches and trouble. Dell is always giving out deals and promotions. Sounds good to you guys? Just get a new comp and not worry about PSU and all that power requirements for graphics card?

If there are games that you currently play which have poor performance, then it would be worth it to do the upgrade to a card like the X1950Pro. It has great bang/buck for your situation. If your computer performs well while running all the programs/games you need it to run, then there is no reason to upgrade. Only you can make the decision if your computer needs an upgrade. If it doesn't, then enjoy using your computer. When it needs to be upgraded, then enjoy getting another one. You should really think about building your own PC next time around. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck and satisfaction from doing the build yourself. :wink: