Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Matshita DVD RAM UJ-850S ATA Device not working

Last response: in Windows Vista
February 22, 2009 1:10:55 PM

I have a sony Vaio laptop (vgn-n220E) Recently my driver failed for my dvd drive, When I first got the laptop I was able to install a few things and burn some CDs.

Now about a month later, I can't read or write CDs or DVDs.

My device manager for the CD/DVD ROM drives sais

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

The check for solutions button does nothing.

I uninstalled the driver and restarted my computer and it reinstalled the same one which once again doesnt work.

I do a driver update search and vista is telling me the driver is up to date.

I have checked sony updates with no such updates for CD/DVD rom drives.

I am clueless on where to check or how to repair this "corrupted" driver.
May 14, 2009 7:35:09 PM

i am having the exact same problem
i am sad to see no replies
Score
October 25, 2009 5:47:40 AM

Try this :bounce:  It worked for me - I didn't have to do Step 3! :o 

I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

Step 1 If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Naro or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2 Delete Filter Drivers

==================

1. Click Start, type regedit and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Step 3 Reinstall the DVDRW drive

======================

1. Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3. Right-click the DVDRW drive and click Uninstall. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

:D 
Score
Related resources
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
November 21, 2009 5:38:21 AM

To Zmasta,

Thank you very much for posting. I downloaded a direct dvd program that defaulted all of my dvd options to that software, which was apparently not compatible with Vista. Deleting those defaults, along with your instructions restored my DVD drive. AGAIN, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP!! To any others who might be having this problem, click your START, or windows menu button, type in the name of the software that causes compatibility problems in the search bar, then delete those first (as Zmasta instructed). If you then follow his instructions, it works!! I too didn't have to do the final step, but it might be helpful.

Score
April 23, 2010 1:03:22 PM

zmasta said:
Try this :bounce:  It worked for me - I didn't have to do Step 3! :o 

I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

Step 1 If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Naro or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Step 2 Delete Filter Drivers

==================

1. Click Start, type regedit and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

I have Windows XP and the same problem with my Matshita UJ 850s drive. I

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Step 3 Reinstall the DVDRW drive

======================

1. Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3. Right-click the DVDRW drive and click Uninstall. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

:D 

I am having the same problem with my Matshita UJ 850s drive, removed the filters as above instructed and still get the same 39 error message. I have Windows XP. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 10, 2010 3:59:24 AM

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! It worked for me and I really appreciate you and your help. I have been trying all day to figure this out. Thank you again!
Score
a b \ Driver
August 10, 2010 4:24:00 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!