How to determine if MBs support EPP or SLI ready Memory?

CAVUAV8R

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
I've looked all over the place and I can't figure out how to tell if motherboards support EPP or SLI ready memory. I've downloaded and reviewed user manuals, checked various reseller websites, and searched all over tom's and other sites.

I'm looking at the MSI P6N Platinum which uses the nForce 650i SLI chipset. Does anyone know if this supports EPP or SLI memory?

Memory manufacturers seem to proudly display the EPP and SLI ready logos if they support them, but motherboard manufacturers don't seem to have the same enthusiasm.

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I'm ignorant of the EPP designation, but I do know that the 'SLI' designated memory is just marketing hype. SLI has nothing to do (that I am aware of) with how your motherboard uses your memory.

Unless someone more knowledgable corrects me, I would disregard anything a seller tries to tell you about 'SLI ready' memory.

EDIT: AH HA! Googled EPP. Enhanced Performance Profile. Some memory has two sets of settings, normal, then the enhanced ones, ones better for overclocking. Looks like the BIOS/BIOS version determines EPP support, you'll have to dig a little deeper than just the manual. Probably try the specific motherboard manufacturer's site and look through any advanced info or updates they have.

disposablehero

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
IINM, the 650i chipset does not support SLI-ready memory (aka. EPP memory). you'd need to step up to the 680i for that.

BTW - everything ive ready about it is that its just a bunch of hype. you can get the same thing out of 'normal' memory, but you have to tweak the settings yourself, itstead of the memory/chipset doing it for you.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
IINM, the 650i chipset does not support SLI-ready memory (aka. EPP memory). you'd need to step up to the 680i for that.
officially but some mobo mfrs have managed to get it to work on 650i.
It doesn't do anything that you can't do manually (& probably a little better) though.

CAVUAV8R

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
Yeah, I know SLI and EPP are not all that great of a feature. My confusion is with the actual ability to discover HOW to determine if a motherboard supports it. I saw a chart somewhere (and I can't seem to locate it again) which shows all the features of different chipsets; I wish tom's would create something like that. But other than that, I'm only finding dead-ends. I've done all the standard Google searches I can think of. Sure, I've seen some articles here, like the one about the 650i chipset, that indicate that SLI memory is not supported. But reviews and articles are not a resource (or should not have to be a resource) that one can go to that will allow someone to actually get specifications.

I have yet to see any mobo manufacturers' web sites that contain this info in their specs (at least the models I'm interested in) nor have I found it contained within the on-line manuals. I've looked at MSI, Abit, and Asus.

Does anyone actually know HOW to find this info out?

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
That's why nVidia now call it SLI Ready instead of EPP - they intended for it to be purely for their chipsets & hence a marketing advantage only to see it being enabled on others.
Intel is just bringing out their own equivalent with Corsair being the 1st licencee.

Hopefully sense will prevail & we'll end up with 1 spec. called something like enhanced SPD or SPD2 but i wouldn't bet on it in this industry.