Sign in with
Your question

INstall problems from XP to Vista

Last response: in Windows Vista
February 23, 2009 9:30:53 AM

trying to get my rebuilt system to a level I can use the stuff I have and want to with it.

Machine was working with a clean install of XP on a new HD. Replacing the HD is where the hardware problems started.

I bought the OEM Vista 64 dvd from Newegg.

Liked I said, it was working accessing the net and all.

So I put in the DVD and start the install, you can't upgrade with the disk. it goes through the process and I now have Vista installed.

Problems: did not read my 8800GTS Gfx card, using Standard VGA. Sees the network card but not the network. I tried to update the drivers but Vista say they are good and won't cooperate.

So can anyone help a Vista n00b work out the kinks?

More about : install problems vista

February 23, 2009 10:23:05 AM

After the installation the first thing you should install is the M/B drivers and it has to be 64bit drivers, get the latest 64bit drivers from the M/B website.

Check in Device Manager to see what hasn't properly installed, as far as the 8800GTS get the latest drivers from Nvidia and Uninstall any drivers first already installed.

Quote:
OEM Vista 64

Quote:
So I put in the DVD and start the install, you can't upgrade with the disk. it goes through the process and I now have Vista installed.

Did you format the HDD?
m
l
February 23, 2009 7:25:51 PM

yes the drive was formatted, it had XP on it and was working fine.

I will find the MB disc, and try that. I will also give you what errors it shows.

I d/l the latest nVidia driver but it did not like the file I put in. I will try again with a different burner.
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2009 8:51:44 AM

just want to say thanks for the help. The MB Driver disk was the problem. Soon as I loaded them, I was online. Then no problem grabbing the nVidia driver and installing it. readding another forum as I type
m
l
February 25, 2009 1:41:10 PM

You're welcome, I'm glad your solution was simple and not some serious issue!
m
l
!