Vista Ultimate 64bit on SATA HDD

Hi,
I am having problems with installing Vista Ultimate 64 bit on my SATA HDD. I get to the copying phase which I pass but when I get to the expanding phase it always stays on 0%.

After a couple of minutes I get an error message :"Windows canot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017".

I have installed Xp Home with no problems on the SATA HDD.I have heard something about Sata drivers but I have no idea where to get them.

Could someone point me to some direction?

Here are the specs:
CPU: Intel i7 920
Mobo: Asus P6T
HDD: Samsung HD501LJ SpinPoint T
RAM: DDR3 6GB 1333 Kingston
5 answers Last reply
More about vista ultimate 64bit sata
  1. You don't need SATA drivers to install Vista. Did you burn the DVD from an ISO image? If so, burn it again at a lower speed or use a different DVD (drive and/or media).
  2. GhislainG said:
    You don't need SATA drivers to install Vista. Did you burn the DVD from an ISO image? If so, burn it again at a lower speed or use a different DVD (drive and/or media).

Thanks a lot. That really solved my problem. I burned the iso at 1x and it didn't create any problems while installing Vista. :D
  3. sam91 said:
    Hi,
    I am having problems with installing Vista Ultimate 64 bit on my SATA HDD. I get to the copying phase which I pass but when I get to the expanding phase it always stays on 0%.

After a couple of minutes I get an error message :"Windows canot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017".

I have installed Xp Home with no problems on the SATA HDD.I have heard something about Sata drivers but I have no idea where to get them.

Could someone point me to some direction?

Here are the specs:
    CPU: Intel i7 920
    Mobo: Asus P6T
    HDD: Samsung HD501LJ SpinPoint T
    RAM: DDR3 6GB 1333 Kingston

sam91 said:
    Thanks a lot. That really solved my problem. I burned the iso at 1x and it didn't create any problems while installing Vista. :D

GhislainG said:
    You don't need SATA drivers to install Vista. Did you burn the DVD from an ISO image? If so, burn it again at a lower speed or use a different DVD (drive and/or media).

@ghislaing Just curious? How could you have possibly known the OP was trying to install from a burnt copy of the installation DVD, there is nothing indicating that in any of his post?
  4. Because it's a fairly common issue when people burn the ISO image on a DVD at full speed (it really depends on the burner and the quality of the media). It rarely occurs when one uses a Microsoft DVD.
  5. Well that makes you, "Johnny Wishbone, Psychic Extraordinaire" LOL

Good Call Dude!
Ask a new question

Read More

SATA Hard Drives Windows Vista