Digital audio Hades

Gents:

Running Ubuntu 10.04 on AMD_5400/M2N system:

Rashly at a garage sale -- I spent $5 for a 3-piece set of Boston Acoustic digital ba735 speakers. I intended them for my "2nd" Ubuntu box and only later do I discover the speakers need a **digital** input ... so naturally throwing good money after bad I buy a cheapo Sound.Blaster Audigy SE which advertizers one-digital-output. I plug stuff together and ... no sound.

At the SOUND.ICON Under sound/hardware I get to choose various combos of analogy/digital inputs outputs. I tried lots of combos to no effect ... still no sound. Changed various choices of INPUT/OUTPUT ... to no effect. Have I ignored an obscure **MUTE** switch? I have fished about and don't think so ....

The CLI command MODPROBE SND-CA106 responds with "module not found". GOOGLING shows some Linux users have got this combo to work, tho it all seems very mysterious! Yes I want this puppy to work! Appreciate any shared experience or suggestions for my next step!
3 answers Last reply
More about digital audio hades
  1. post output of lspci and lsmod to pastebin please. the module should be installed by default and loading.
    please also post output of 'aplay -l'

also maybe consider updating to a modern variant of ubuntu, 10.04 is 3 years old :)
  2. Yes:

Appreciate your advise. My system is seeing the card ... but my screwup was more basic ... no cable from card-DIGITAL.OUT to subwoof controller! I just missed it ... and the card-to-speaker cable needs a non-std connector at the speaker DIGITAL_IN. More trips to ComUSA and more money chasing ....? I do understand from WEB_blab the speakers are exceptional.

Thanks again ....

snd_page_alloc 8500 2 snd_ca0106,snd_pcm
    parport_pc 29958 1
    edac_core 45423 3 amd64_edac_mod
    k8temp 4040 0
    edac_mce_amd 9278 1 amd64_edac_mod
    snd 71283 14 snd_usb_audio,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_oss,snd_ca0106,snd_ac97_codec,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
    asus_atk0110 10033 0
    uvcvideo 62915 0
    videodev 40614 1 uvcvideo
    v4l1_compat 15495 2 uvcvideo,videodev
    v4l2_compat_ioctl32 11892 1 videodev
    soundcore 8052 1 snd
    serio_raw 4918 0
    lp 9336 0
    parport 37160 3 ppdev,parport_pc,lp
    floppy 63156 0
    8139too 22245 0
    mii 5237 1 8139too
    pata_amd 11962 0
    sata_nv 23714 2
  3. Many thanks: as I type i'm listening to a great UTUBE version of CSNYs Southron CROSS. The bassy Boston Acoustic 2.1 speakers are as excellent as advertized.

Your idea to perform those SW tests pushed me to look for a hardware error ... and I found it. The **trick** with BA digital speakers is first, have digital output on the sound-card (ex//SB_Audigy SE) and second use a "mixed" cable with RCA_input to the single subwoof speaker port and stereo 3.5mm_mini_jack for the soundcard port.

Now if d*mmed rythmbox & ISA CD player would only cooperate .... yes yes that M2N is showing its age ....

skittle said:
    post output of lspci and lsmod to pastebin please. the module should be installed by default and loading.
    please also post output of 'aplay -l'

also maybe consider updating to a modern variant of ubuntu, 10.04 is 3 years old :)
Ask a new question