Case with room for Ultra 120 extreme

Papaya_Man

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I just ordered a Ultra 120 extreme (lucky to find in stock) for my Q6600 with a Scythe S-flex fan and one issue that has arisen is its size. Will it fit in a Thermaltake Armor case with the 25cm fan on the side? If not then feel free to recommend a case.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme stands at 160.5 mm or 6.3 inches. I have the Kandalf/Armor case with the 250mm side fan. I have a Gigabyte GA-8N SLi Royal and from the cpu to the 250mm side fan across is around is about 5.7 inches.

So unfortunately the Ultra 120 Extreme won't be able to fit inside the case. But I have a suggestion instead of you buying a new case. You can remove the 250mm side. Just unfastened the nuts and screws and remove the fan assemby. You can leave the mesh in place and secure it with super glue permanently. That way the Ultra-120 Exteme can fit inside and the cooler works really nice that you won't be needing the side panel fan, unless you want more cooling and overclocking.

Then you can do some light modding and create a custom air duct with the Ultra-120 Extreme fan to scoop air from the outside through the 250mm mesh.

Tell me if you're interested on my idea and I can do a simple illustration to do this.

Papaya_Man

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
The only other case I really like is the Antec 900 but I hear cable management is troublesome with that one. Without a sidefan on a eVGA 680i board the Ultra should fit.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
You should also be taking into consideration your motherboard. Different motherboards might have slightly different socket locations, which would result in a change in available clearance in the same case, but with another motherboard.

Latest posts