Sign in with
Your question

F.E.A.R Expantions and resolution VISTA

Last response: in Windows Vista
February 26, 2009 10:11:50 AM

today i bought myself fear platinum collection which consists of FEAR. FEAR Extraction Point and FEAR Perseus Mandate.

My problem is that i can't get the native resolution on my pc (1680 X 1050).

The strange thing is that the 1's FEAR i got supports this res but the 2 expantions don't. :( 

iv'e been told to change this file.... Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\TimeGate Studios\FEARXP\settings.cfg You can also get there from the Start Menu folder using "Shortcut to User directory".

Open settings.cfg using notepad and change the following lines to your custom values:

"ScreenWidth" "1680"
"ScreenHeight" "1050"

that apparently works. but i cant find that file on vista. i can get into FEARXP folder and there is no settings.cfg file.

is there anyway to get this res on the expantions? i want to get the story line behind me before i get stuck into FEAR2.

is there a patch perhaps, if so i cant find 1?

any help would be much appreciated, ty gamer666
February 27, 2009 2:06:27 PM

Documents and Settings has changed to Users in Vista. You could also alternatively search for the file to see what folder it's located in.
m
l
February 28, 2009 11:03:26 AM

gamer666 said:
i want to get the story line behind me before i get stuck into FEAR2.

FYI F.E.A.R. 2 is dramatically different from the initial release and the expansion packs, and is really a stand alone game there are no direct linkings back to the other previous F.E.A.R. releases except for Alma, which will leave you with unanswered questions just like the previous offerings, so you could go directly to F.E.A.R. 2 without playing the others, but since you bought them just pick the highest resolution you can run it at, and play on man.

Are we talking Vista 32 or 64?
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2009 5:15:13 AM

heya,
vista 32 bit. thanks for reply
m
l
March 1, 2009 10:24:35 AM

Vista 32 won't be giving you problems resolution wise, its probably just that the 2 F.E.A.R. games not running the resolutions you want were not optimized for those. I had the same thing happen in the first release of the game with 1920 X 1200, Thank fully they corrected that later, however I could actually run the game at 1920 X 1200 it just wasn't optimized for that resolution, and got warnings about it.
m
l
March 1, 2009 10:32:39 AM

Also FYI, F.E.A.R. 2 does have 1680 X 1050
m
l
!