Sign in with
Your question

I need some experienced people

Last response: in Systems
May 25, 2007 3:55:14 AM

I was playing a game and my system grinded to a halt and hasn't been the same. After a complete re-install I am getting blue screens, error msgs etc. I ran memtest86+ and only got errors if I set it to memory range bios all or something like that, then I get plenty.

After blue screens and error 132 msgs in wow how can I see what is setting off these msgs. Please help me diagnose it! Thanks in advance!

More about : experienced people

May 25, 2007 4:04:12 AM

How long was system up and running before errors started? We need to know if this is a new build or if the machine was working OK with current settings for a good while.

But sounds memory related on first glance:

I see you have four sticks of RAM. Try running with two only for a while and see if you still get errors.

I'd also relax those timings a bit too and see if that stops the errors.

Is your ambient temp hotter than usual? Sometimes temp errors crop up during warmer months.
May 25, 2007 11:59:01 AM

I've been running this build a year. I've converted all settings to default. Although the memory test showed no errors, I will try taking some ram out. Is there any way to see what the blue screen errors were? When they happen they only flash on the screen for a fracton of a second.
Related resources
May 25, 2007 12:41:05 PM

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

Now your blue screen should stay displayed instead of getting an auto reboot.

This will only help if your system was restarting after the BSOD flashed up.

I'm not sure about it being a memory problem, it could be something else for sure. But relaxing those super fast timings (2.5-3-3-7 )and using only two sticks would possibly rule out some common suspects.

The fact that your system ran well with this same equipment and settings for a year (and the memtest pass) does not support the MOBO/memory conflict theory however. Still, I'd try it. It's easy enough and would be a good start.

Have you updated the MOBO bios?

And perhaps your video card drivers, either trying the newest or if you have the newest dropping back to drivers you had when system was running well?

Just a few thoughts. You'll get to the bottom of this eventually.

Have you checked your temps? It's always possible your heat sink may not be in good contact with the cpu and the system is overheating under heavy load. You can download 'speedfan' and determine this very quickly.
May 25, 2007 1:21:29 PM

notherdude says everything right. Try with new bios, ram latencies put on "by SPD", and remove 2 RAMs. See in bios what is voltage under +12, and +5 (hardware monitoring), if it's much under 11.90 or 4.90 change your PSU.
May 25, 2007 3:51:13 PM

Which OCZ sticks are those?, gold, platinum series or what?.

@notherdude if the OP's timings are super fast I wonder what that makes the four sticks of Crucial Ballistix PC3200 that I'm running @ 2.5-2-2-8 2T 8)
May 25, 2007 6:51:54 PM

Thanks for all the great advice folks, I really appreciate it. I'm at work right now, but as soon as I get home in an hour or so I'm going to start playing with the ram by removing sticks etc. I will check the bios for the voltage settings to see if its the psu, and hopefully screenshot the blue screen and post it here.

Are there any other tests I should perform in order to diagnose the problem such as for a bad motherboard or video card?

what is the best program to post temps with? Thanks again people!
May 25, 2007 8:08:33 PM

I will post info as I get it, on log on voltage on the +5 is 5.1 and +12 is 11.96.
May 25, 2007 8:45:27 PM

ok guys, I've tried a bunch of combinations of my 4 sticks of ram, 2 at a time in the proper slots. I still am getting these errors. here is one from wow:

World of WarCraft (build 6692)

Exe: C:\Games\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe
Time: May 25, 2007 4:41:21.046 PM
User: Owner

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal Exception
Program: C:\Games\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe
Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 001B:7A257A25

Can I rule out ram?? Should I start looking at the motherboard and video card? how do I do this? My hard drives seem fine.
May 25, 2007 9:47:51 PM

Joe, is WoW the only thing crashing at this point?

If so I'd try running some other games or a 3d benchmark such as 3dmark and see if you can make anything else crash.

If not, then there may be an issue with your equip. and Wow.

In any event I'd sure update or rollback the video card drivers and see if that helps.

I'm not sure what the power reqs. of that 7800 GTX OC are but could you tell us what your PSU is and precisely what the 12v amperage is, it will be on the lable. You also might try downclocking the OC on the vid card, just in case it is overheating in warmer weather.

It's hard to rule anything out at this point but since RAM is looking OK we might try video card. It could be a bad MOBO but this best way to determine that is to rule out everything else. I'm suspicious of video since the main problem is in a 3d game but then again a 3d game is stressing everything.

Try 'speedfan' for temps. It's all over the net just google it.
May 25, 2007 9:48:35 PM

If your hardware is seemingly checking out ok then it might well be a software issue but as I am not at all familiar with World of Warcraft I can only suggest that you try un-installing and re-installing it. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.
May 25, 2007 9:57:02 PM

Ok guys I think I finaly killed it. First to answer your questions. I own a sli powe supply, the amperage is enough fo 2 of my vid cards, when I originally bought it, that was the plan.

So I decided to download new nforce drivers and videodrivers as well. If I saved them then I would get a corupted file error. I ended up having to "run" instead of save the nforce drivers. After install it prompted me to restart. I can no longer get into windows. It prompts me as to if I want to log on normall or starton safe mode each time. My keyboard doesn't work unless I power offand back on. If I let it get past thepropmt, or press stat windows normallyit proceeds to the windows loading screen and then I get the dreaded blue screen every time. It basically says:

1.) make sure there is adequate disk space
2.) if the msg below mentions a driver then disable the device
3.) if you get this msg over and over use safe mode

the descriptions is

***Stop 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xf6392f31, 0xf78a2424, 0xf78a2120)

So that sums up where I am at this point. I can't log on to windows anymore, I'm on another pc. Is it the motherboard? I'm assuming its hardware because I had the computer running for over a year, and all of the sudden in wow the other night it stalled, froze, and I couldn't restart it.
May 25, 2007 9:59:12 PM

Read something about WoW being sensitive to memory issues, and when i googled your error i got a lot of hits dating back to 2005 stating it had to do with a patch for the game. Someone mentioned that after underclocking his memory the errors went away.
If you're having more issues besides WoW, I would agree with previous posters stating mem problems. Try different timings and/or lower mhz to see if problems change/disappear.

'edit' :D  I should type faster
May 25, 2007 10:11:49 PM

Thanks for te ffort but unfortunately that's all it says.
May 25, 2007 11:14:32 PM

hey

hopefully i can help

try resetting the BIOS, to clear any funny overclocks.

I was running mine OCd, i plugged in a memory stick and the whole system froze, i rebooted, the motherboard had reverted to stock speeds, the USB controller, audio etc had all turned off. safe mode lol. odd

try resetting bios, either with jumper/button or there will be a key in BIOS taht does it 4 u. then set the memory timings to what it says on the box of your memory (it mights say on stickers attached to ur mem sticks) download memtest 86 once you've done that and let it run a complete test, if it passes you can rule out memory errors. (only with completely stock bios)

then, try installing Windows on another partition or another HD if you dont want to risk loosing stuff on your current partition.

apply updates, excluding that hotfix morerevs said. install warcraft and play it, and see if you get errors. If you do, restart and boot back in, THEN apply the hotfix and see if you get errors on WoW.

if you do try using one stick of RAM at a time. you might have one funny RAM module, you never know?!

if you don't get errors, then it looks like it was either your OCing or the lack of that hotfix.

then, try putting your old settings back, gently, not straight back to fully OCd. if you get errors you know that it was the OCing. Like i said earlier, ive had a weird occation before with that memory stick, running fine then suddenly BAM.

Hope this helps

Also, try the gcard in another machine if possible, let us know about these memory results, and then we'll go from there, it could be motherboard.

have you had a powercut/surge recently btw?

also if your saving something and its corrupt dont run it, because it will run it corrupt, which is why with your video drivers went gagaa so consequently so did windows

P.S. Memtest86 runs from floppy!!!

hope this helps!! let us know how you get one

everyone else, is my test routine ok? is there any flaws :?: :?:
May 25, 2007 11:36:23 PM

Hi,

Thanks ery uch for your input, I appreciate it.

I reset the bios, and used oneram stick, I still get the blue screen on boot up at the windows loading screen.

My keyboard doesn't seem to want to work anymore either, its like the motherboard just isn't going at all.

I'm outof ideas, thinking of buying a new cpu/mboard/ram
May 26, 2007 12:02:46 AM

Can you get into the BIOS? Can you still run memtest? If the pc is non-responsive before you even get into windows then something basic is amiss. Hardware, or BIOS settings, most likely. Does keyboard work in BIOS or to get to BIOS? Is it USB or PS2? If you have a usb keyboard you may have accidently disabled usb keyboard support when you reset the cmos!)

Can you get into safe mode?

A reinstall might be worth trying before you give up. You should also try booting to a dos prompt (f 8 ) and running chkdsk /r in case you have HD issues.

Before getting a new MOBO you want to rule out as many things as possible. Your CPU is OK, they almost never go bad, MOBO's bite the dust every day. But it could be video or HD. We can rule out HD if you have problems running thiungs not on the HD - such as memtest and CMOS setup.
May 26, 2007 1:58:07 AM

Dont give up yet... follow aboves advice before considering buying new stuff. Even if all else seems to fail try reinstalling windows because that usually solves lots of problems. We are here to help! Dont give up on us!
May 26, 2007 3:58:53 AM

ok guys, I can use my keyboard at random, if it doesn't work I ca flip the power supply switc on the back of the pc and power back on for it to work. the original problem happened with my maxtor hd, so I now am using the seagate.

should I reload a bios?
May 26, 2007 9:13:57 AM

yes definitley reinstall, then do what i said earlier about warcraft.

maybe on another HD or partition to be safe

yeah check the USB support in BIOS

try and elimiate stuff

try your GPU in another machine and see if you get errors (was your GPU running overclocked?)

also, when overclocking, if you hadn't "froze" your PCI bus then there is a very high chance your hard drive data will hav got corrupted. hence use another HD.

your procesor should be fine, C2Ds OC fine and ive heard of daft ones like 4ghz.

I'm thinking either mobo or RAM. RAM is the prime suspect atm.

What to do, in order:

try going into bios, with one ram stick, standard timings, running memtest86 (check k/board usb bios bit is turned on!), then try memtest once with each stick (let it run through the tests it wants)

if all pass i tihnk we can rule out memory (everyone agree?!)

if your GPU in another machine doesnt cause problems we can rule that out

new HD (if its known good) can now be discounted

so then your left with mobo and CPU.

CPUs really rarely go bang, its best to discount that until last.

reinstall windows on a known good HD (taking out any crap ram sticks with standard BIOS settings, CPU freq etc), update it (excluding hotfix mentioned in my previous post), install warcraft, play, if you get errors, reboot, apply hotfix, play again,

if you get errors, i think it must be motherboard

everyone agree :?: :!: :?:

let us know how you get on.

AND TRY ANOTHER KEYBOARD!!! lol nearly forgot an obvious one there
May 26, 2007 1:27:38 PM

I did a fresh install, and to be honest things seem fine now. I haven't attached the old hard drive, maybe that was the problem? But hey I haven't run anything besides windows yet. Something had to have caused this in the first place, and a windows install doesn't fix bad hardware last I checked.

I've tried every combination of ram, and no changes. are there any programs out there that put a heavy load on the pc to test it out?
May 26, 2007 2:09:51 PM

Keyboard seems fine since re-install, wow will take a few hours to patch and install, I'm going to run these load tests.

I'm just worried about what casued the failure in the first place. I'm hoping it was a hard drive failure of my maxtor. I bought the seagate, and am now running off of it. After my previous re-install, I noticed if I saved files from the net and tried to launch them I would get corrupted msgs. Could this be because I still had the maxtor hooked up as a slave?
May 26, 2007 2:11:45 PM

no. not unless you saved them on the maxtor. if you were running overclocked, your PCI bus usually corrupts data if its not locked to stock speeds. or your memory.

hope this helps
May 26, 2007 5:29:43 PM

ok someone tell me if this is my problem. I installed coolbits to do some testing on my 7800gtx. Even if I lower the clock frequencies it will detect errors. Is my card pooched?
May 26, 2007 5:45:49 PM

Have you checked to see if the fan is still spinning on the video card?
May 26, 2007 5:46:59 PM

yes it is, any testing prgram to diagnose a video card out there? Or am I packig up and going to a another pc with this one.

I can now play wow, my framerate seems low.

edit: I'm running wow on high setting at 24 frames per second, I think I should be way higher than that, I just had a blue screen flash by, too fast to read.
May 26, 2007 7:47:35 PM

Try looping 3dmark http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark06.

This will stress the video card heavily. Watch for any artifacting and also report back your scores. If you can loop 3dmark for a good, long time then your card is probably ok and there is just something odd going on with wow.

If 3d mark fails too then you should run prime 95 which will stress the cpu but not the vid card.

If prime 95 works ok but 3d gaming doesn't then you need to put another video card in there to at least test.
May 26, 2007 8:55:53 PM

You forget, after new instalation, to un-check automatically restart ( you can un-check and other two - write an event..., and send a admistrative alert) at control panel, system, advanced, startup and recovery. You can see what is written on BSOD. If you are posting from another comp. try what everybody says - VGA and RAM on this other comp. If its same sck. try and CPU.
May 26, 2007 9:24:17 PM

Sounds like the problem is RAM or motherboard

A 7800GTX will play WoW at as astonishing FPS at 1280.

Try memtest86 with one stick at a time at stock settings. If you get errors on all 4, looks like a motherboard, only on one, take it out and try again.
May 26, 2007 10:41:41 PM

Main Test Results

3DMark Score 3967 3DMarks

SM 2.0 Score 1865 Marks

SM 3.0 Score 1859 Marks

CPU Score 863 Marks

Detailed Test Results

Graphics Tests
1 - Return to Proxycon 14.926 FPS

2 - Firefly Forest 16.156 FPS

CPU Tests
CPU1 - Red Valley 0.272 FPS

CPU2 - Red Valley 0.439 FPS

HDR Tests
1 - Canyon Flight (SM 3.0) 16.637 FPS

2 - Deep Freeze (SM 3.0) 20.538 FPS

What do you think???
May 26, 2007 10:58:37 PM

and the fifth run through 3mark I got a "memory could not be read" error.

went something like reference 0x97976y6...blah blah blah at 0x098767...
May 26, 2007 11:02:07 PM

AHHA

Yes, im 99% sure now its memory mate,

I got scammed on eBay by Fastmemoryman (DO NOT BUY) and I was getting those errors. Sounds like your memory is either faulty or a bad overclock

Your running stock atm though aren't you?

If you ARE running stock, the put the memory in another PC and run stress tests?

What your situation?
May 26, 2007 11:09:22 PM

yes I'm running stock. Vereything at default. I've tried every different combination even them solo.
May 26, 2007 11:13:10 PM

OK mate, its either RAM or motherboard

Try the RAM in another known good PC (specifically another motherboard), one at a time if possible, under stress.

If you get errors, its the memory (which I suspect IS the case)

If not, its the motherboard. I think its memory if I'm 100% honest. Try that and see what happens.
May 27, 2007 12:08:09 AM

Try that memory at slower timings, such as 4,4,4,15, even though it is rated to do the 2.5, 3,3,7 it might not like that motherboard at those tight timings.
May 27, 2007 3:01:56 AM

AMD is still a good value if you don't plan on overclocking but to be honest the Intel core 2 duo has passed AMD by. The Intel chips have a brand new architecture which gives them the performance lead AND they overclock very well. AMD has more or less hit the clock limit with their current chips at or around 3ghz. An e6600 oc from 2.4ghz to 3ghz is a piece of cake, even with stock cooler, and this would crush a compareably clocked AMD chip in most applications. If you get a better cooler then 3.2 to 3.6 or so is quite easy to reach.

I'm not up on AMD boards or specific memory reccomendations but I thought I should mention this much. The smart builders are going with INTEL again after a several year love affair with AMD.
May 27, 2007 4:47:57 AM

notherdude, you're full of insight, I really appreciate it. The only reason I was going with amd was I was told that the am2 socket would outlast the intel. Can you recommend to me a good mobo, ram, cpu combo? I was thinking 2gb, a 6600, and no idea about intel mobo's.
May 27, 2007 9:39:32 AM

A good intel mother board is the

Gigabyte P965 DS3

or the Abit Fatal1ty

packed full of features and both great for overclocking
May 27, 2007 10:03:11 AM

if you ask me(and you're not), i would say that AMD is still better choice under 200$, anything above that - INTEL C2D. I Recommend ABIT Fatality AN9 32X AM2, and 5600+X2. With this MBO i OC 4200+X2 to 2.7GHz with stock cooler, at 1,35V. With RAM you can't miss. Try to buy any known mark with lower latencies(Corsair, A-DATA, PQI, Geil, OCZ,...). Maybe is better 667 with CL3, then 800 with CL5.
But before you buy new comp. try all this old components on other comp. Just to make sure
May 27, 2007 10:33:32 AM

I wish I could reccomend specific MOBO's and RAM but I'm just not up on all the stuff out there as much as many others here. I have an ASUS p5b-deluxe motherboard, and 2 gig of Super Talent RAM, with my e6600 which overclocked to 3 gig effortlessly. I replaced the stock heatsink/fan with a Scythe Infinity and got it up to 3.5. I've clocked it back to 3.45 now since my room gets a little warm in the warmer months.

You'll notice on the board here that new 'help me build my rig' posts pop up literally everyday. If you read through a few of those or else make your own you'll pick up all the info you need to make a good buy. With the new killer INTEL chips out there now this has been a very popular time to upgrade.
!