Sign in with
Your question

Vista Repair/Installation Failure

Tags:
  • Windows Vista
  • CD-Rom
Last response: in Windows Vista
February 27, 2009 12:13:32 PM

Upgrading my system to PCIe format. I installed new motherboard and GPU. The remainder of hardware: CPU, RAM, HD, and CD/DVD we retained.

The system has an existing Vista installation.

On startup the bios passes and the system eventually displays a screen stating the there has been a hardware change etc and to install the Vista install CD, reboot, select language, next, then repair…

On reboot and enabling boot from CD most of the time there is a “loading files” screen, windows progress bar, and then a two tone blue windows background, hour glass, then mouse. The mouse moves correctly but no menu ever comes up. There is nothing to do but shut down or reboot.

Sometimes I get to the repair option but it runs and says it found no errors.

At this point I can only get the system to do one of the above. I can’t even get to just reinstalling the system.
Im wondering if the new MOBO or GPU have a problem. since this in my first PCIe system I don't have a spare card to swap in for troubleshooting.

MOBO GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4
GPU Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCIe
CPU Athalon X2 2.1G
RAM 2G DDR2 800

any help will be appreciated
Robert

More about : vista repair installation failure

February 27, 2009 3:41:27 PM

eventually I got into the installation menu and Im in. New problem but I will post that separately.

basily I just had to try the load several times before the blank screen would not be blank.

m
l
March 12, 2009 7:59:29 PM

Hammer_757 said:
eventually I got into the installation menu and Im in. New problem but I will post that separately.

basily I just had to try the load several times before the blank screen would not be blank.

Yeah on my PC the initial menus and copying files/extracting phase to an extremely long time, I kept thinking it froze, but i let it sit there until it advanced (everything after that went through quick) and after the install, load times are quick and the PC functions normally. (Asus P6T Core i7 system)

I installed Vista on my old PC (MSI-SLI-FI E6750)
and it didnt have the same issue.

I dual boot XP and Vista on the i7 system and I had no such trouble with the slow/freezing in any of the XP install steps.
m
l
Related resources
March 12, 2009 11:49:10 PM

Hammer_757 what kind of HD do you have? I have a Western Digital, and have been experiencing your initial problem, but on a new build. Also, I'd seen on another forum on Newegg that the WD hard drive is the problem. What say you?
m
l
March 13, 2009 5:03:05 PM

I had to reinstall Vista later becaus eI wanted to run partitions different and I did not have the problem at all. Im stall using the same HD. SO who knows. As we said in the Navy when equipment had a mind of its own, its PFM "Pure F... Majik"
m
l
!