Intermittent Connection

kimokalihi

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I just bought a wireless network for the first time from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162134

That's my router.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315041

That's my wireless adapter.

When I first plug it all in and reset the router, everything works great. The connection is really good and has 54mbps connection. But after about 3 days the connection starts cutting out and I have to keep reconnecting to the network or it will say the network is still connected with a great connection and signal strength but the internet won't work. Then it will go back on for a minute or two and die again.

Then I reset the router and it will work good again for a couple days or so. This is really starting to piss me off because I'm clueless as to why it's doing this. The only thing I can think of it the router's firewall must be causing this problem. I disabled the windows firewall and that's the only other one I have and that made no difference.

What else can I try?

akhilles

Splendid
Try disabling encryption or use WEP 64-bit, then auto channel.

If you have a cellphone near your computer, move it away or turn it off.

You can also try moving the router to the center of your home.

kimokalihi

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I guess I forgot to mention that I have wireless headphones and a wireless revolution logitech mouse. My cell phone is always at my desk charging right by the wireless antenna.

I don't know which of these will cause interference but I guess I can move the cell phone and see if that helps. I don't think the wireless headphones effect it because it does it when they're not being used and turned off and aren't even getting a signal from my computer.

akhilles

Splendid
Depends on what band they operate. If it's the 2.4ghz (routers), they will interfere with routers. Cellphones most likely so. Are the headphones & mouse bluetooth? If so, they're ok.

kimokalihi

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
They're not bluetooth, they're RF. I'm not entirely sure on this but I doubt they're bluetooth. I have no idea what freq they operate on.