Graphics question

Hi

Running Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4 3.4GHz, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT
with 256MB ram, Forceware 71.84 installed. Quake 2 3.20.

The problem I am having is when I move along a corridor, the wall textures
seem to change as I am walking. There is a band that one can see. I have
tried all the settings in the game and with the display drivers, nothing
seems to help. I don't remember having this problem when I used to have my
Voodoo 2's installed.

Any ideas??

--
Regards

Brett

"Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig"

"bReTt" <support@knowbase.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Running Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4 3.4GHz, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT
> with 256MB ram, Forceware 71.84 installed. Quake 2 3.20.
>
> The problem I am having is when I move along a corridor, the wall textures
> seem to change as I am walking. There is a band that one can see. I have
> tried all the settings in the game and with the display drivers, nothing
> seems to help. I don't remember having this problem when I used to have my
> Voodoo 2's installed.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Brett
>
> "Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a
> pig"

Sounds like your drivers are screwed. I suggest you go to the vendor's
website and download the latest.

--
Cycho{HHR}
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

Hi

Tried various drivers and all show the same effect. It is like the graphics
are blur in the distance and get clearer as you move closer, there is a
distinct line where the change occurs. It is most noticeable in corridors.

"Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
> "bReTt" <support@knowbase.co.za> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Running Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4 3.4GHz, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT
>> with 256MB ram, Forceware 71.84 installed. Quake 2 3.20.
>>
>> The problem I am having is when I move along a corridor, the wall
>> textures seem to change as I am walking. There is a band that one can
>> see. I have tried all the settings in the game and with the display
>> drivers, nothing seems to help. I don't remember having this problem when
>> I used to have my Voodoo 2's installed.
>>
>> Any ideas??
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Brett
>>
>> "Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a
>> pig"
>>

> Sounds like your drivers are screwed. I suggest you go to the vendor's
> website and download the latest.
>
> --
> Cycho{HHR}
> http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

"bReTt" <support@knowbase.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Running Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4 3.4GHz, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce
> 6800GT with 256MB ram, Forceware 71.84 installed. Quake 2 3.20.
>
> The problem I am having is when I move along a corridor, the wall
> textures seem to change as I am walking. There is a band that one can
> see. I have tried all the settings in the game and with the display
> drivers, nothing seems to help. I don't remember having this problem
> when I used to have my Voodoo 2's installed.
>
> Any ideas??

Your rig is a lot like mine.
P4-3.0E/800/1m L2, 1 gig PC3200, eVGA 6800 GT-256 meg, 71.84 drivers, XP
Pro SP2.
I just ran Q2 3.20 (final) and didn't get any changing textures. Nice
to see translucent water again :) Might be the particular map you're
playing in?
McG.

"Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
> "bReTt" <support@knowbase.co.za> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Running Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4 3.4GHz, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce
>> 6800GT with 256MB ram, Forceware 71.84 installed. Quake 2 3.20.
>>
>> The problem I am having is when I move along a corridor, the wall
>> textures seem to change as I am walking. There is a band that one
>> can see. I have tried all the settings in the game and with the
>> display drivers, nothing seems to help. I don't remember having this
>> problem when I used to have my Voodoo 2's installed.
>>
>> Any ideas??
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Brett
>>
>> "Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for
>> a pig"
>>

> Sounds like your drivers are screwed. I suggest you go to the vendor's
> website and download the latest.

He just DID install nVidias latest released set. That's what the
Forceware 71.84 is.
McG.

> Hi
>
> Tried various drivers and all show the same effect. It is like the
> graphics are blur in the distance and get clearer as you move closer,
> there is a distinct line where the change occurs. It is most
> noticeable in corridors.
That would be texture quality or antialiasing I'd think.
McG.

> "Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>> "bReTt" <support@knowbase.co.za> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Running Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4 3.4GHz, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce
>>> 6800GT with 256MB ram, Forceware 71.84 installed. Quake 2 3.20.
>>>
>>> The problem I am having is when I move along a corridor, the wall
>>> textures seem to change as I am walking. There is a band that one
>>> can see. I have tried all the settings in the game and with the
>>> display drivers, nothing seems to help. I don't remember having
>>> this problem when I used to have my Voodoo 2's installed.
>>>
>>> Any ideas??
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Brett
>>>
>>> "Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment
>>> for a pig"
>>>

>> Sounds like your drivers are screwed. I suggest you go to the
>> vendor's website and download the latest.
>>
>> --
>> Cycho{HHR}
>> http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

grieve

lol, I guess he is talking about what is commonly known as mipmapping :)
maybe he just didn't notice it when playing with Voodoo 2.

that's just the way Quake 2 is handling texture detail levels. in a corridor
the border between the high resolution
texture for near distance and the low resolution ones for higher distances
can be seen very clearly.

no way around that .... except maybe using textures without precalculated
sub-mips.. which would make the performance much worse.

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "bReTt" <support@knowbase.co.za> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Tried various drivers and all show the same effect. It is like the
> > graphics are blur in the distance and get clearer as you move closer,
> > there is a distinct line where the change occurs. It is most
> > noticeable in corridors.
> That would be texture quality or antialiasing I'd think.
> McG.
> >
> > "Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
> >> "bReTt" <support@knowbase.co.za> wrote in message

> >> Sounds like your drivers are screwed. I suggest you go to the
> >> vendor's website and download the latest.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cycho{HHR}
> >> http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

Right, but he's running a 6800GT now.
McG.

"Grieve" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> lol, I guess he is talking about what is commonly known as mipmapping
> :) maybe he just didn't notice it when playing with Voodoo 2.
>
> that's just the way Quake 2 is handling texture detail levels. in a
> corridor the border between the high resolution
> texture for near distance and the low resolution ones for higher
> distances can be seen very clearly.
>
> no way around that .... except maybe using textures without
> precalculated sub-mips.. which would make the performance much worse.
>

> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> "bReTt" <support@knowbase.co.za> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Tried various drivers and all show the same effect. It is like the
>>> graphics are blur in the distance and get clearer as you move
>>> closer, there is a distinct line where the change occurs. It is most
>>> noticeable in corridors.
>> That would be texture quality or antialiasing I'd think.
>> McG.
>>>
>>> "Cy Edmunds" <cedmunds@spamless.rochester.rr.com> wrote in message

Hi

It seems to be on all levels, but most noticeable in the corridor sections
of levels. Nothing too serious but a bit distracting. I remember Serious Sam
had a setting to reduce this effect, but the graphic options in Quake are
far less complicated.

The textures don't change, but there is a distinct line as you move, the
graphic used on the walls etc become clearer.

I tried taking a screen shot, but it is difficult to see, very noticeable
when moving though.

Brett

In article <d13nr6$19qq$1@newsreader02.ops.uunet.co.za>,
support@knowbase.co.za says...
> Hi
>
> It seems to be on all levels, but most noticeable in the corridor sections
> of levels. Nothing too serious but a bit distracting. I remember Serious Sam
> had a setting to reduce this effect, but the graphic options in Quake are
> far less complicated.
>
> The textures don't change, but there is a distinct line as you move, the
> graphic used on the walls etc become clearer.
>
> I tried taking a screen shot, but it is difficult to see, very noticeable
> when moving though.

Perhaps an updated version of q2 will do?
I use Q2 evolved myself.

linkies for comparasions:
http://home.broadpark.no/~abrogger/images/other/q2vanilla.jpg
http://home.broadpark.no/~abrogger/images/other/q2e.jpg

Q2e is found at
http://www.quake2evolved.com

--
Ole.C.Brumm[AGQ2] aka Skyvalker[AGQ2]
One Server to rule them all, One Server to find them,

Hi

In RivaTuner I can change the mipmapping, changed it to the highest value
(positive value), now there are no problems in Quake 2. Now with this
settings all the textures in Serious Sam look a bit strange.

Is there a command line to set the mipmapping for Quake. I have searched
various sites but don't find any definite answers.

regards

Brett