Sign in with
Your question

Trouble sharing printer in wireless network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 15, 2007 2:23:47 PM

Hello Guys,

I have a wireless network with a WRT300N Linksys Wireless router sharing internet for a wired pc and two wireless notebooks, all running XP SP2. I had no problem sharing files between these 3 computers but I can't use the printer (HP PSC 1410) installed in the pc from the two notebooks. I shared the printer on the computer that has it connected to it and I can recognize and install this printer in the notebooks, but when I try to print it doesn't work.

When I try to print a test page it tells that it couldn't print it and the jobs don't stays in the print queue. Each program that I try to print something from it show a different error message (ex. acrobat reader shows: "A required resource was not loaded" or something like this).

I've already disabled the windows firewall and the others but it didn't help

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.
October 15, 2007 9:11:33 PM

I found the best solution if you're going to be doing a fair amount of printing from multiple computers is a print server. About 6 months ago I got an Iomega nad have had no problems since. For what ever reason print sharing is a real pain even when you get it up and running eventually it goes south and you start all over again. Very easy to set up and really worth the money

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 16, 2007 2:37:17 PM

Thanks for your idea g-paw!

If I don't resolve this problem this week, maybe I can buy this print server.

Any other idea to my problem?
Related resources
October 16, 2007 3:43:39 PM

Make sure you have the printer set up to share on the computer it's attached to. Uninstall the printer you are trying to print and reinstall it, be sure you're installing from the network printer. Make sure the firewall is turned off on both computers but be sure to turn them back on. Back sure both computers have the same Work Group name. Even it you get it working would still suggest the print router. Have been sharing the printer between computers for years and it was only after I got the router I wasn't spending way too much time screwing with it.
November 5, 2007 7:56:03 PM

Yeah it may be the firewall. Double check to make sure it isn't blocking your printing. I've had this problem before.
!