IBM ThinkPad 600X Sound Problem

My sound has quit. The speakers and earphones are both absolutely dead.
CD's indicate they are playing but no sound; system sounds don't sound;
MP3's don't sound, etc. When I insert the earphone plug, I don't hear a
thing - not even noise as I insert the plug. It's like the speakers are
disconnected.

I'm running under WinXP Home Edition and have had no sound problems
before. I don't know what I might have done to cause this, but suspect
my sound has been dead for a while.

I've run the XP diagnostics with no success.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John Williams

Give use some more info.
Is this the original OS installed?
Have you upgraded from a previous OS?
Have you tried removing the sounds from the device manager then restarting
and letting the OS install the drivers from the driver cache?
Have you checked IBM's website for updated drivers?

--
Good Day
River Rat

"John Williams" <john@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
My sound has quit. The speakers and earphones are both absolutely dead.
CD's indicate they are playing but no sound; system sounds don't sound;
MP3's don't sound, etc. When I insert the earphone plug, I don't hear a
thing - not even noise as I insert the plug. It's like the speakers are
disconnected.

I'm running under WinXP Home Edition and have had no sound problems
before. I don't know what I might have done to cause this, but suspect
my sound has been dead for a while.

I've run the XP diagnostics with no success.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John Williams

Thanks for your input, River Rat.

Beause I found I do have sound at the earphone Jack after my original
post, I started a new post today asking for help with the new
situation.

My WinXT is a Win98SE upgrade. No, I haven't removed the sound drivers
and let XT install them (hopefully) on startup. And yes, I have checked
IBM for latter drivers.

John Williams