IBM ThinkPad 600X Sound Problem

My sound has quit. The speakers and earphones are both absolutely dead.
CD's indicate they are playing but no sound; system sounds don't sound;
MP3's don't sound, etc. When I insert the earphone plug, I don't hear a
thing - not even noise as I insert the plug. It's like the speakers are
disconnected.

I'm running under WinXP Home Edition and have had no sound problems
before. I don't know what I might have done to cause this, but suspect
my sound has been dead for a while.

I've run the XP diagnostics with no success.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John Williams
2 answers Last reply
More about thinkpad 600x sound problem

    Give use some more info.
    Is this the original OS installed?
    Have you upgraded from a previous OS?
    Have you tried removing the sounds from the device manager then restarting
    and letting the OS install the drivers from the driver cache?
    Have you checked IBM's website for updated drivers?

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    "John Williams" <john@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
    My sound has quit. The speakers and earphones are both absolutely dead.
    CD's indicate they are playing but no sound; system sounds don't sound;
    MP3's don't sound, etc. When I insert the earphone plug, I don't hear a
    thing - not even noise as I insert the plug. It's like the speakers are
    disconnected.

    I'm running under WinXP Home Edition and have had no sound problems
    before. I don't know what I might have done to cause this, but suspect
    my sound has been dead for a while.

    I've run the XP diagnostics with no success.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    John Williams

    Thanks for your input, River Rat.

    Beause I found I do have sound at the earphone Jack after my original
    post, I started a new post today asking for help with the new
    situation.

    My WinXT is a Win98SE upgrade. No, I haven't removed the sound drivers
    and let XT install them (hopefully) on startup. And yes, I have checked
    IBM for latter drivers.

    John Williams
    "River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
    > Give use some more info.
    > Is this the original OS installed?
    > Have you upgraded from a previous OS?
    > Have you tried removing the sounds from the device manager then
    > restarting
    > and letting the OS install the drivers from the driver cache?
    > Have you checked IBM's website for updated drivers?
    >
    > --
    > Good Day
    > River Rat
    >

    > "John Williams" <john@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
    > My sound has quit. The speakers and earphones are both absolutely
    > dead.
    > CD's indicate they are playing but no sound; system sounds don't
    > sound;
    > MP3's don't sound, etc. When I insert the earphone plug, I don't hear
    > thing - not even noise as I insert the plug. It's like the speakers
    > are
    > disconnected.
    >
    > I'm running under WinXP Home Edition and have had no sound problems
    > before. I don't know what I might have done to cause this, but
    > suspect
    > my sound has been dead for a while.
    >
    > I've run the XP diagnostics with no success.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > John Williams

Speakers IBM ThinkPad Windows XP