Vista v.s Windows 7. which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4my8

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I saw some of the new features of Windows 7 and it looks to be better than Vista.

I was thinking about getting Windows 7 when its final release and removing Vista. [vista is trouble]

Dose anyone no when the full version will be out? i also heard that it can only recognize up to 3GB ram.

personally i thing they should make Windows 7 an upgrade to vista and it should be free.

gtraptor

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I got rid of Vista in favor of XP, had tons of compatibility and speed issues, now i am on W7 full time since day one of beta, only a couple of programs had compatibility problems.

Apps i am running

Adobe CS3 (flash, dreamweaver, etc)
MS Office 2007
Corel Paintshop Pro X (just needed a patch)
Corel Draw X3 (no problems)
Ashampoo 6
Musicmatch 7.5 (an old time favorite music app, runs slow but works 100%)
iTunes
Picassa
Firefox
Autocad 5 (old version but works ok)
FL Studio (music comp)
RocketDock (Mac like dock)

GAMES:
Halflife 2 (E1, E2, Deathmatch and some mods)
GT Legends (needed patch)
GTR Evolution
GTR 2
SPORE
Halo and Halo2

Programs i had problems with: Nero8, Alcohol 120%

Notes:
- Some programs will just require to be run as "administrator" to work, so far no need to run anything in XP compatibility mode
- Drivers, had a few problems with onboard AC97 audio, mostly configuring 5.1 sound settings. All fixed with vista drivers.
- NVidia has the latest W7 drivers for all their cards, zero problems.

PC specs:
AMD 4600 Dual core 2 GB RAM, Nvidia 8600GTS, Storage 2 200GB sata maxtor drives, Sony DVD writer DL.
Viewsonic 22" widescreen LCD.

So my answer would be, W7 rocks, even in beta, speed is on par to XP, boots 50% faster than XP.

4my8

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Every thing that i have been hearing about it has been nothing but good news. even though all the good reports i don't think i want to run the W7 beta

(would feel more comfortable with the full version)

i would be putting W7 on my laptop which i use for school, my main reason why i would want W7 is because of its "supposedly" fast start up speed compared to vista....plus the lighter load it runs which is said to use less RAM.

not in a big rush to get it though as im sure there are still bugs that need to be worked out.

PC specs:
AMD turion x2
4 GB ram, ATI Radeon HD 3200, 250GB hard drive sata,
Lightscribe DVD+r Dual Layer.
Vista home premium 64 bit.

UNICOMPLEX

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
The Windows7 is basically a polished up Version of Windows Vista, Or everything vista should have been in the first place,

Microsoft have said that they listened to everyones complaints about vista and what people really wanted in there OS, and that the Windows7 will have the improvements that people >meaning us, put it into this New Windows7.

One of the main problems with Vista was that people said it run to slow, personnally I didnt really see that problem as I upgraded my PC at the same time as I switched from XP to Vista, BUT ! one nagging problem I have allways had was with NERO, I got so fed up with it, I got the removal tool and just deleated all files to do with NERO, someone told me that ROXIO had been approved over NERO when microsoft built Vista, how true this is Im not sure.

As for the release date of windows7 it was said at first that it would be early 2010, but I would have to agree with User Scotteq and say 3Q.

Also anyone who as got the Beta download of windows7 please remember that you will have a few problems with compatibility issues, this is the all point of this free trail version so that Microsoft can iron out all the possible problems for when the real Version comes out later in the year,
So basically your all Microsofts Guinea-pigs.

gtraptor

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
This is probably the Best beta Windows i have ever tested, besides compatibility issues with some apps, there are very few bugs that i would consider critical and most will be polished out for the RC1 (release candidate).
Because of that i think that W7 will be released late this year.

My experience with Vista has been quite good. It was problematic at first but no longer. I see little or no performance issues compared to XP and all of the latest benchmarks I have seen seem to more or less agree. All my apps run great on Vista 64 and I run a bunch of them. There is one exception, Kennedy, who is still yelling about his pet benchmark in which Vista performs poorly compared to XP but that same benchmark, according to Kennedy, shows 7 doing no better! So go figure. We know for a fact Vista and XP score the same on games now. We also see pretty much every other benchmark showing the two in a dead heat with the possible exception of file transfers.

My opinion is that 7 looks to be a more polished and slightly faster version of Vista and this is exactly what Vista needed - in other words Vista SE looks to be a good development for us and for MS. Is it THAT much better than Vista? No. Is it likely to be really and truly ready for prime time upon its release? No. Are a lot of tech pundits heaping praise on 7 because they realize they have mistreated Vista and are trying to get 7 off on the right foot and cut off the Mac and Linux fanboys before they can rev up their FUD machines? Yes!

Even so I look forward to trying out the final product. I have tested several versions of the beta/pre-beta and I like it quite a bit so far.

gtraptor

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
SP2 for Vista would be released soon (now on RC), so for Vista users there might be a brighter future without the need to go to W7. I bet some W7 code will make it to vista.

UNICOMPLEX

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
No I have made my choice, Im going Windows7 when its out,
I just read the latest on the Windows7 that you will have the option of turning some of the back ground programs off, which is a huge bounes in my opinon so they have sold me one right away.
Dont know if anyone else as had this with Vista but now and again my hard drives just go mad as if its doing something intensifively, I have tried checking what its doing and its not defragging or running a virus scan, I just wish I new what vista was doing sometimes and this pisses me off, I want more control !!

gtraptor

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

Processes that could be running in the background: Antivirus, Indexing, Software updates (microsoft and others), disk swap (enough memory?).
Check your services, disable or reschedule all services that might be running in the background. Do a search for non critical services you can turn off.

4my8

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I agree with you 100% sometimes my HHD flips out like a crazy person...W7 seems to be great i just hate how Microsoft didnt make it a upgrade to Vista as what it should of been.
V ery
I naccurat
T roublesome
S oftware
A pplication

UNICOMPLEX

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
THX for the tips gtraptor & notherdude, but I have allready eliminated that it could be Antivirus.Indexing,software updates ect & also I have turned off all none essential back ground sevices allready,
The hard drives just go mad and there seems to be no schedule as to when it will happen, this process can last anything from 10 to 20 minutes, and even when I have closed down from what ever I am doing at the time and start searching for possible answers theres nothing I can find as to what the OS or hard drives are doing.
Dont get me wrong vista still works fine but its just annoying sometimes when 2 Raptor drives start screeming.

bhalton26

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
There will be a W7 Ultimate x64 version along with the x32. So far the beta version of W7 is better than Vista by 200% and better than XP by 125% :)

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Love Windows 7 at this point.

We are running Windows 7 on three computers. All are part of a Server 2008 Domain network with wireless or wired connections. The only issue I reported to the beta testing is regarding the "wake from sleep" many others are reporting.

I was one of the beta testers for Vista and Windows 7 is a much more reliable problem free OS. Games seem so much smoother on Windows 7;)

4my8

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Hey Windows 7 seems to be the best from what everyone is saying....i would love to get it and see how great it is when it comes out in full.....until then im stuck with vista. :(

One main concern that i have is when upgrading from vista home edition to W7 what will happen to all my programs already installed?

What i mean to say is that will i have to re-install them all? such as:
Microsoft office 2007
downloaded music
games
Anti virus
Also had to register MO 2007 and Anti virus would that mean i have to register them again?

Also i heard talks of Vista SP2...havent heard much on that but would it be as good as W7? or worth upgrading to and would i face the same problems?

Please advise, thanks

2.1 ghz AMD Turion 4GB ram ATI radeon HD3200 250GB HHD

gtraptor

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
If you do an UPGRADE your programs will still be there and work, but my recommendation is doing a fresh install. A fresh install will have just the "needed" components, meaning no leftovers from any previous installation(s). So the system will be faster and the drive cleaner.

My advice would be to get a NEW harddrive, at least 300GB and install W7 there, and then add all your programs. This could be done while retaining your Vista installation so you can keep on working while you install.

So that means having 2 drives, and using your BIOS setup to switch between Vista and W7.

SP2 for vista will be out shortly, just try it. But my recommendation would be to go W7, it is faster than Vista and has less compatibility problems.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
My understanding is that there are hidden switches deep in the system for IE and WMP to satisfy the EU, and I am probably going with W7 , but I will wait to see if the compatabity issues are resolved quick, my thinking is that it is a much polished Vista based system so it should be good to go out of the box
My Thought, lets see what the retail version costs, I'm thinking that 300 bucks for a OS is rape, but that is my opinion

(a) Yes, you can turn those features off using a simple checkbox method. What happens is they get written to the hard drive during install - 'Cos nobody want to have to dig up the Windows DVD to turn them back on.. Once you shut them off, they are not loaded during start up at all.

(b) What compatibility issues?

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I have a really old machine and Vista flys like a bullet, Opteron 185, A8n sli Deluxe mobo, 4 megs. I have XPired on a dual boot but only use it for one program. W7 I might get in like 2 years when upgrading machine.

superglide

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Windows 7 all the way, MMJB (Musicmatch) 7.5 installs perfectly in XP Compatability mode and works perfectly. So does Nero 7 (2007). :bounce:

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Superglide,

Thank you for evaluating Windows 7 and it's great to hear that you are enjoying your experience so much! If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it may be helpful to know you don't have to wait until October to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: http://tinyurl.com/nldc8p

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

4my8

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
It seems that Microsoft had some shame in how poorly they designed vista and then coming out with a Windows 7 ( a great piece of software).
After installing the vista sp2 many of the troublesome problems went away. :)
start-up and shut down issues and the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH were the main problems in vista but like i said SP2 seemed to fix that.

Yes it is true that Win7 is a great application but they still have bugs that need to be fixed. i also read a news article that Microsoft plans on a WINDOWS 8, i think in two years from now (dont hold me to the time release) but the new windows 8 would be a 128bit version. which already sounds more appleaing than Win7.

Personally i just bought two computes back in May 2009 with vista ultimate on one and home premium on the other 64 bits. if in two years windows 8 is really coming out i preffer to just wait till then and just sell one of the ones i have and buy a new computer at that time with Windows 8, instead of wasting $300 on windows 7 now. by that time it would be good to get a new computer anyway.

but for those who bought there computer between June and December windows 7 at a cheaper rate thats good and you should go for it.

fowang

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
with out reading the entire thread and just replying to the subject

The%20magic%20number%207.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.