Sign in with
Your question
Solved

VMware wireless problem with BackTrack 5 R3

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
August 31, 2012 1:24:51 AM

I'm able to connect to the internet with BT5, but whenever I type in iwconfig it says that there are no wireless networks detected.

Here's what it looks like.

http://i.imgur.com/AWE9z.jpg

So I'm thinking, maybe it's treating the connection between the distro and the host as a direct ethernet connection?

I tried to connect the wlan device to the vm machine, still nothing, and the internet didn't work period. I think I know the solution though, let's say I was going to put BT5 on a laptop, how do I go about connecting to a network then through BT5?
August 31, 2012 1:47:32 AM

post output of lsusb and lsmod

what are you doing with backtrack?

Best solution

August 31, 2012 6:26:48 AM
Related resources
August 31, 2012 11:32:53 AM

skittle said:

I'm trying to learn the distro on my own since one of my college classes covers it. I figure I might as well get a head start on it, fascinating stuff.
September 8, 2012 9:45:33 PM

Best answer selected by sobaz3.
February 10, 2014 12:35:33 AM

skittle said:

I am facing the same issue too
I have the snapshots of lsusb & lsmod :
1) 1st pic
2) 2nd pic

Please Assist. Thanks in advance
BTW I am using Gnome version(64 bit) of backtrack in case that is important and I have ext adapter Atheros AR9271 AWUS036NHA and have the latest version of Virtual box installed with extension pack
February 11, 2014 9:54:16 AM

@Saumya - youe Backtrack is seeing the USB wireless, so you have to install drivers for it. Atheros is quite popular wireless card, so there should be drivers available for it (I am not BT guru, so cannot tell where to tget them from)
!