Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing software on ubuntu

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
September 1, 2012 3:32:02 AM

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to install software on ubuntu (besides the software centre) when downloading from websites? Or does the process vary for different programs?
September 1, 2012 1:03:31 PM

You are "asking for trouble" downloading *nix software from **anywhere** but the official repository. Yes yes , everybody sucks in NOSCRIPT, GHOSTERY etc; and one day we'll get screwed royally for it. The **walled garden** systems model is too robust & successful to be ignored, even when the lawn is piled with GNU crap.

The Stealthinator said:
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to install software on ubuntu (besides the software centre) when downloading from websites? Or does the process vary for different programs?

m
l
September 1, 2012 3:04:54 PM

I don't know what you mean, but your answer isn't helpful to me.
m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2012 1:12:28 AM

While it's inadvisable to install software from other than the official repository for your particular distribution it can be done quite successfully. There are almost always installation docs which need to be followed to the letter. Understand though that you will be running into problems (most often dependency related) that may not be resolvable (may be one reason it's not in the repository). If you choose to go outside the official channels you will be entirely on your own.
m
l
September 2, 2012 1:45:19 PM

That's what we're talking about.
m
l
September 2, 2012 1:59:28 PM

Ok... I have never heard about these kind of issues before ("dependency related") that can't be fixed when downloading software from other websites. I guess you can't help me much more, but it's still not clear to me.
m
l
September 2, 2012 2:01:52 PM

If you don't know those terms then you most definitely have no business trying to go outside the repository.
m
l
September 2, 2012 2:17:10 PM

The Stealthinator said:
I mean when downloading .tar.gz files?

You are likely downloading the source code, you must first extract the tarball, then compile against the correct libraries and install.

ubuntu has a nice write up for you already
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo
m
l
September 3, 2012 12:23:20 AM

Yes this is what I needed help with. Thanks. But this method will work with all source code?
m
l

Best solution

September 3, 2012 5:21:36 PM

With *all* code? Certainly not. How could it? This is just the most accepted way in the linux/GNU world. Its really up to the developer to decide what and how to compile the code.

but generally most things you find will follows like this:
  1. tar -xzf foo.tar.gz
  2. cd foo
  3. ./configure <configure options>
  4. make
  5. make install

Commonly if you download and extract the tarball you will find files such as 'README' or 'readme.txt' that contain instructions for compiling correctly. Its a good idea to read these ;) 
September 4, 2012 10:16:14 AM

Best answer selected by The Stealthinator.
m
l
!