Linux Noob Question, plz help (involves remote server)

Status
Not open for further replies.

manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
I recently started taking a Linux/UNIX class at the local community college.

For our first homework, we're supposed to write some things into a .txt file and then upload it o the teacher.

The class is designed to be done using the school's Linux server, connecting to it remotely using PuTTY or something like it. I already have everything done, but there's a problem... I have to have the file on my local computer in order to upload it to the teacher. But the file saved to the school's linux server.

I'm going to go install Linux on my desktop since I finally have time, just hoping I don't have to redo my homework.

NOTE: The remote server thing doesn't need to be used, it was in the case that you didn't have access to a linux system, since he warns against dual booting until you know what you're doing since a typo or 2 can apparently wipe crucial files from your primary OS, forcing a reinstall...

Thanks for any help, even if it's a "There's no way to do it"!

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
You can make a live bootable linux USB drive and use linux without installing it to your hard drive.

download Linux Live USB creator @ http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download

follow steps 1 ~ 3 to make a bootable live linux USB with persistence (if the persistence slider is missing, make sure you check "Format in fat32")

Boot the computer using this USB flash drive.

You now have a flash drive that will plug into any computer and allow you to do your linux homework on any computer without having to install linux.

Linux Live USB creator also gives you the option to install VirtulBox on the USB so that you can run linux inside a Windows environment without having to boot the machine from USB.

(for help with BIOS boot configuration, see system manufacturers website for your system's manual)

Status
Not open for further replies.