Sign in with
Your question

8800gtx + 19" CRT or 8800gts 640mb + 22"LCD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 25, 2007 12:18:54 PM

Hi forum readers,

I currently have a xfx7600gt and a 19" CRT.

Choice 1: I can maybe import the evga8800gts 640mb from the US for a 5th cheaper than it costs here in South Africa, then i can get a 22"LCD (LG, non-q model) as well.

Choice 2: Or I can just get an 8800gtx (whatever brand) and keep my 19" CRT.

The 8800gtx has been around for a while now and the prices are still very steep where i live. Soonish the 9-series will come out and by that time i would have lost a bit of my blackhole investment in the 8800gtx (to be expected).

I would like to get a general idea of what you forum readers would choose.

Thanks!
May 25, 2007 1:26:45 PM

what sort of resolutions do you play at?

I would have though a 19inch crt would be fine...appart from taking up a good amount of space.
May 25, 2007 1:49:59 PM

Space is the main reason i want to go to 22" and i want to mount it on an arm so i can pull my screen over my bed if i want.

I will be playing at max settings and max res regardless of the card or display.
Related resources
May 25, 2007 2:29:59 PM

I think the GTX would be wasted on the 19" CRT. The GTS 640 paired with a 22" LCD seems ideal. I'd take choice #1.
May 25, 2007 2:51:52 PM

Choice 1 without any doubt.
May 25, 2007 3:54:03 PM

Quote:

I will be playing at max settings and max res regardless of the card or display.

max res will be determined by your monitor

specifically what monitor do you have now? (or what is it's max res @ 75hz)
specifically which monitor are you looking at getting? though I'm guessing being 22" it's most likely to be one of the 16x10 or 16x12 type res's

if you expect to play DX10 games at 16x10 or more then you'll be needing a GTX, or you could get a GTS now for DX9 gaming and get a 9800 at christmas (if they do indeed come out around then), but that's a really expensive option over all (as in $300 for the GTS now, plus $600? or more for the 9800 when it comes out)

okay we know about poor drivers and vista performance problems, but the early DX10 benchies don't look too good on the GTS/2900XT level cards @ anything over 12x10
May 25, 2007 4:55:10 PM

Absolutely buy the GTS and the 22" widescreen. Heck, I would even buy a lower end card to upgrade to a nicer monitor first.
May 25, 2007 6:27:29 PM

Go for the LCD/GTS combo. Hell.. the monitor is even pretty to look at turned off :D 
May 26, 2007 8:39:37 PM

Can anyone help me?
Im trying to pay Excaliberpc.com via paypal (for my evga 8800gts 640mb)

I live in South Africa and i need to transfer my funds via some way or another.

Im lost in paypal. i have done the necessary things to activate it etc but i dont know where to go from there.

I have the account details and that stuff from Excaliberpc.com but i dont have their paypal email.

How does this process work?

Here are 2 screenies:

Thanks!
May 27, 2007 12:43:19 AM

You have to wait for paypal to deposit a few cents into your bank account. Keep checking, as it says you have to wait 2-3 buisness days. Once there is a deposit in your band you type the amounts in the boxes. From there your email and everything will be confirmed and you will be able to make the transaction. Can you check your bank account online? If not you will have to go to your bank and get a statement.
May 27, 2007 10:13:21 AM

See the thing is it would only let me enter in a US bank, so i thought i must enter the bank account of the online store. So i did that.

And my bank account was debited with 2 amounts, not credited. Other than that i dont know how i can pay a specific account via paypal.

For example like online banking. It would be nice to transfer my funds into paypal and convert it into dollars and then use that amount to pay the US company...

i got these 2 subtractions:
OUTSTANDING CARD AUTHORISATION PAYPAL 2007-05-26 13H54 R 7.18-
OUTSTANDING CARD AUTHORISATION PP *9862 EXPU 2007-05-26 13H55 R 14.00-

Ok. i got an email from the place i ordered:
""Sorry, we only accept wire transfer for orders shipping to South Africa. Paypal does not offer confirmed shipping addresses other than customers in US, UK and Canada. Thank you.""

So i gotta do a wire :/  damnit!
May 27, 2007 11:23:41 AM

If your current monitor is a good one keep it. No LCD has the image quality of a good CRT.
May 27, 2007 12:38:37 PM

8800 GTS + 22" LCD, this is what a friend of mine has, under my consiling and he is a happy man now, plus an 19' crt is like an 17" lcd
The GTX would be a waste of money
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2007 12:46:57 PM

Anytime you upgrade your monitor youve just made a desicion thats going to outlast several generations of graphics cards. That being said, the GTS is a great card for now, and for a while to come. No DX10 games to worry about, and if some come sooner than later, the GTS will cover them. Go with the monitor upgrade, you wont be sorry
May 27, 2007 2:12:56 PM

Quote:
Hi forum readers,

I currently have a xfx7600gt and a 19" CRT.

Choice 1: I can maybe import the evga8800gts 640mb from the US for a 5th cheaper than it costs here in South Africa, then i can get a 22"LCD (LG, non-q model) as well.

Choice 2: Or I can just get an 8800gtx (whatever brand) and keep my 19" CRT.

The 8800gtx has been around for a while now and the prices are still very steep where i live. Soonish the 9-series will come out and by that time i would have lost a bit of my blackhole investment in the 8800gtx (to be expected).

I would like to get a general idea of what you forum readers would choose.

Thanks!

If it were me, I'd get the 8800GTS 320MB and 24"[1920x1200] LCD. The 24" LCD will stand the test of time longer than the GTS will and you'll save some money to boot.
May 27, 2007 2:32:25 PM

Quote:
If your current monitor is a good one keep it. No LCD has the image quality of a good CRT.

I beg to differ! My old 19" Viewsonic VA1912wb LCD is as nice as any CRT I've ever had[and I've had some nice ones]. It doesn't hurt the eyes like CRT's can. MY new 24" Acer AL241WD only has an 6ms response time[as opposed to 4ms with my Viewsonic], but I'll be damned if I can tell the difference in movies or games... And I only paid $420 shipping included[eBay]. It's pretty, oh so pretty!
May 27, 2007 3:11:32 PM

Thanks guys. Im def trying to get hold of a 8800gts 640mb now...just trying to sort out payment...sucks to ship it here but it is cheaper :) 

A 24 inch lcd is the price of 2 or 3 8800gts's where i live...really expensive...plus i will be hauling this thing to lans...so the 22 inch will be ok for now. I can always get a 24 inch a year or 2 later :) 
May 28, 2007 12:17:06 AM

What you need is a

Samsung SyncMaster SM226BW 22" LCD Flat Panel Monitor

2ms Response
3000:1 Contrast

and in BlackGloss - What a bonus

due to release on 16/6/07

I cant wait!!
May 28, 2007 3:26:16 AM

choice one allllllll the way keep it easy
May 28, 2007 9:09:58 AM

:) 

Has anyone done a wire transfer before? What do i have to do physically at my bank? Ask them to do a wire transfer to the store account?

How do i send them proof that i have paid them?

How reliable is this method?
May 28, 2007 9:20:37 AM

Too much hassle and risk. Im rather going to pay a bit extra for a local card... i can at least RMA it here.

But im going 640MB without a doubt :D 
May 29, 2007 8:40:42 AM

Quote:

I beg to differ! My old 19" Viewsonic VA1912wb LCD is as nice as any CRT I've ever had[and I've had some nice ones]. It doesn't hurt the eyes like CRT's can. MY new 24" Acer AL241WD only has an 6ms response time[as opposed to 4ms with my Viewsonic], but I'll be damned if I can tell the difference in movies or games... And I only paid $420 shipping included[eBay]. It's pretty, oh so pretty!

I am afraid I will have to insist on my original comment. My brand new 2ms, 3500:1 (dynamic) contrast 19'' Philips TFT lacks clarity, colour depth and contrast in comparisson to the Sony Trinitron G200 I have at work. Okay, that Sony was top of the line but the Philips is no pig either but its image lags behind that of the (aged) CRT.
May 29, 2007 1:15:30 PM

Go with the 640 GTS, EVGA, and then upgrade to the GTX when you have the rest of the funds, to play on your brand new 22inch LCD!!
May 30, 2007 1:30:15 PM

I HAVE a 8800 GTX and a 19" CRT, you would not catch me going to a LCD any time soon. I do however find the GTX a little under powered for the resolutions and games I run! A GTS I would find dissapointing I believe.

The CRT monitor I have will run games nicely at 2048x1536 resolution! Whilst the image might be smaller than a LCD equivalent so to is the pixel size, this means sharper images! it also means less need for anti aliasing. pixels can be 20-30% smaller than on a LCD panel That makes for a far sharper and more beautifull image.

CRT's might take up more space but a good CRT screen will give a better quality image than a LCD panel. Of course if you have a cheap 19" CRT you might want to bin it. Personally I will be holding on to my good old CRT's as long as I possibly can, they give a image quality which isnt currently matched by other technologies. They do however weigh a ton burn the electricity and hog the desk space.

Theres people talking here about 1920x1200 in 24" thats 2.3 million pixels spread over 24" of screen space 2048x1536 on a 19" crt is about 3.14 million pixels in 18" of screen space, thats a HUGE difference in pixel size and image quality. 33% more pixels in 75% off the space. If I want big screen action Ive got my DLP projector and a 110" screen, but for PC gaming what I want is image quality over image size and for this my CRT delivers.

LCD panels have their place, I put them on all the computers at work, they make excellent office equipment cheaper to run nice and big for spreadsheets and databases, save deskspace etc etc, but when I game I want image quality and I use high end old CRT's.
May 31, 2007 11:21:54 AM

Quote:
I HAVE a 8800 GTX and a 19" CRT, you would not catch me going to a LCD any time soon. I do however find the GTX a little under powered for the resolutions and games I run! A GTS I would find dissapointing I believe.

The CRT monitor I have will run games nicely at 2048x1536 resolution! Whilst the image might be smaller than a LCD equivalent so to is the pixel size, this means sharper images! it also means less need for anti aliasing. pixels can be 20-30% smaller than on a LCD panel That makes for a far sharper and more beautifull image.

CRT's might take up more space but a good CRT screen will give a better quality image than a LCD panel. Of course if you have a cheap 19" CRT you might want to bin it. Personally I will be holding on to my good old CRT's as long as I possibly can, they give a image quality which isnt currently matched by other technologies. They do however weigh a ton burn the electricity and hog the desk space.

Theres people talking here about 1920x1200 in 24" thats 2.3 million pixels spread over 24" of screen space 2048x1536 on a 19" crt is about 3.14 million pixels in 18" of screen space, thats a HUGE difference in pixel size and image quality. 33% more pixels in 75% off the space. If I want big screen action Ive got my DLP projector and a 110" screen, but for PC gaming what I want is image quality over image size and for this my CRT delivers.

LCD panels have their place, I put them on all the computers at work, they make excellent office equipment cheaper to run nice and big for spreadsheets and databases, save deskspace etc etc, but when I game I want image quality and I use high end old CRT's.

Finally, a pc user that knows his monitors. :trophy:
May 31, 2007 12:49:17 PM

The 22" and the GTS are the way to go, eventually games might be out that would push even the GTX on a 1280x1024 resolution but by then surely you'll be wanting to upgrade the card anyway as tech changes so fast. As of right now, nothing out there would make even the GTS hardly break a sweat on the 19" and only slightly on the 22" so its a good pair-up.
May 31, 2007 12:56:04 PM

Quote:
The 22" and the GTS are the way to go, eventually games might be out that would push even the GTX on a 1280x1024 resolution but by then surely you'll be wanting to upgrade the card anyway as tech changes so fast. As of right now, nothing out there would make even the GTS hardly break a sweat on the 19" and only slightly on the 22" so its a good pair-up.

Sorry but I have two systems equipped with the GTX, and running on the resolutions that CRT's can support I can bring the GTX to its knees at times in CURRENT games.

Sure running at 1280x1024 the GTS MIGHT be able to keep up with anything out there, but I personally think 1280x1024 looks horrible. No point paying out for big graphics cards if you are going to be playing at that sort of resolution.

a 19" CRT doesnt run at 1280x1024 like a cheap LCD screen a good 19" CRT can run at 2048x1536! Might as well switch all the eye candy off and run a £20 graphics card if you are going to be playing at 1280xx1024 ona 19" screen.

a 1280x1024 19" screen the pixels are so huge you can actually see the lines between the rows of pixels - YUCK.
May 31, 2007 1:30:37 PM

Quote:

I am afraid I will have to insist on my original comment. My brand new 2ms, 3500:1 (dynamic) contrast 19'' Philips TFT lacks clarity, colour depth and contrast in comparisson to the Sony Trinitron G200 I have at work. Okay, that Sony was top of the line but the Philips is no pig either but its image lags behind that of the (aged) CRT.

DUDE, its a philips, they are some of the worse LCD in the world, even a 6 years old 15" crt can beat that rubish LCD.
May 31, 2007 1:44:34 PM

Quote:

you spaek about sharper images, thats true, the CRT does have sharper images, BUT, this comes into handy when you read text, not when you play games, sure, the image is also in games sharper, but your F***ING eyes wont tell the diference, execept ofcourse when you take screenshots , but you dont use your display to stare at scrrenshots, do you? when the image is dynamic like in games you cant tell the diference between the crt and the lcd from the sharpenes point of view, when itc comes to contrast its another thing, CRT are still way better than LCD.
if you want to contradict me on the sharpeness topic, please dont do it because I am a doctor and I know what I'm saying, I know way better how the human eye works than anybody on this forum.

have fun
May 31, 2007 2:22:58 PM

Hi Duncan, where do you stay in South Africa? I really recommend not to import the card yourself because if anything goes wrong it is a nightmare.
I bought a Sparkle 8800gts 320mb for about R2800 (incl Vat) through my pc-dealer here in Pretoria (bethesda.co.za). But you can also find relatively cheap cards on PC123.co.za which is open to everyone. Once again even if its local they will be in trouble if you send it back to them as they have send it to the whereever to repair it.

A 22" ACER or SAMSUNG monitor can also be picked up for below R3000 from Sahara or Bethesda Computer.

Remeber also they will charge you 30% duty at the post office when the card and monitor arrives.

PS: Im quite happy with the 320mb version of the card for the time being, for some reason in South africa the 640mb version costs 50% more which is absurd IMHO. The 320mb version rocks in value for money and apparently only above 2k resolution does the extra RAM make an impact and I found the 320mb card to be very overclockable.

I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Gabor
May 31, 2007 2:23:16 PM

Im telling you I can see the difference in image quality when playing games, You might not look at one point constantly when playing games but an overall sharper image gives a very different feel to a game.

A doctor? sure you would have to be ophthalmologist to be an eye expert? You certainly CAN tell the difference in sharpness even with a nice moving image at the distances we play games at. Anyone who cant see the edge detail difference between 1280x1024 on a LCD and 2048x1536 on a CRT needs their eyes checking. You may not be "looking at" an individual pixel but you get far more of an impression of pixelation with a lcd screen. The pixel pitch also has an effect on the perceived sharpness of the CRT screen, I game on a .22 dot pitch monitor, which is immensely better than the sony 19" LCD screen Im typeing this reply on. I can actually count from a foot away that there is about 6 lines of pixels between each of the lines of text. I have to be about 3' away before the effects of the lcd pixel pitch and pixel size are lost. I dont game at 3' away from my monitor! You say you can only notice it with static images I say it gives an overall impression of image quality in games. Contrast adds to this and LCD ghosting and refresh rate add more problems. But there is more that the eye detects and contributes to the "overall impression" than just the contrast.
May 31, 2007 2:33:58 PM

LCDs have MUCH sharper image than CRTs. :!:
I have a video editing studio and we swapped off all of our high-end 19" CRTs to LCDs with dramatic results.

You must however use DVI input input, I have seen LCD monitors which blur due to VGA input.
May 31, 2007 2:40:34 PM

Quote:
Anytime you upgrade your monitor youve just made a desicion thats going to outlast several generations of graphics cards. That being said, the GTS is a great card for now, and for a while to come. No DX10 games to worry about, and if some come sooner than later, the GTS will cover them. Go with the monitor upgrade, you wont be sorry

:trophy:

Ditto.

The monitor will outlast the video card, for sure. Go with the monitor.
May 31, 2007 2:43:33 PM

Quote:
LCDs have MUCH sharper image than CRTs. :!:
I have a video editing studio and we swapped off all of our high-end 19" CRTs to LCDs with dramatic results.

You must however use DVI input input, I have seen LCD monitors which blur due to VGA input.

The LCD versus CRT debate has been beaten down repeatedly. I doubt re-hashing it here will help the OP. Try google or search the forums.
May 31, 2007 2:48:33 PM

Quote:
Im telling you I can see the difference in image quality when playing games, You might not look at one point constantly when playing games but an overall sharper image gives a very different feel to a game.

A doctor? sure you would have to be ophthalmologist to be an eye expert? You certainly CAN tell the difference in sharpness even with a nice moving image at the distances we play games at. Anyone who cant see the edge detail difference between 1280x1024 on a LCD and 2048x1536 on a CRT needs their eyes checking. You may not be "looking at" an individual pixel but you get far more of an impression of pixelation with a lcd screen. The pixel pitch also has an effect on the perceived sharpness of the CRT screen, I game on a .22 dot pitch monitor, which is immensely better than the sony 19" LCD screen Im typeing this reply on. I can actually count from a foot away that there is about 6 lines of pixels between each of the lines of text. I have to be about 3' away before the effects of the lcd pixel pitch and pixel size are lost. I dont game at 3' away from my monitor! You say you can only notice it with static images I say it gives an overall impression of image quality in games. Contrast adds to this and LCD ghosting and refresh rate add more problems. But there is more that the eye detects and contributes to the "overall impression" than just the contrast.

I looked at my lcd for 10 minutes to see those 6 lines and could not, geeezz, perhaps I need my eyes checked. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
May 31, 2007 3:00:32 PM

Quote:

I looked at my lcd for 10 minutes to see those 6 lines and could not, geeezz, perhaps I need my eyes checked. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

I would suggest you do :lol:  If you CANT see the pixel grid on a regular LCD screen at 12" then an LCD screen will do YOU just fine. I can see it on the sony on my desk and on all the "sharp" screens around the rest of the company.

Whilst you can continue to say that you are a doctor and the human eye cant see the difference in sharpness of images in a moving image the rest of the world seems to disagree and want HDTV for err movies, moving images not static text, guess everyones else in the world is a mug claiming to be able to see in a moving image the difference in sharpness on screens from 8' away.
May 31, 2007 3:07:57 PM

I have an 8800 GTS + 22" Samsung BW226

I'm not an expert in the difference between CRT's and LCD's but I know for a fact that games look better on my LCD. Games which I used to complain about looking ugly looked great on my LCD. It's the colors. CRT colors are washed out and not as vibrant.

Also, DVD's look fantastic on a 22" widescreen. The clarity is so much better than on my large screen tv that now I find myself watching movies on my computer.

Also, games have begun supporting widescreen. That means you get more periferal vision. It makes games more immersive.

Also, your windows desktop is much better with a widesceen because you have more room.
May 31, 2007 3:12:24 PM

Quote:
I have an 8800 GTS + 22" Samsung BW226

I'm not an expert in the difference between CRT's and LCD's but I know for a fact that games look better on my LCD. Games which I used to complain about looking ugly looked great on my LCD. It's the colors. CRT colors are washed out and not as vibrant.

Also, DVD's look fantastic on a 22" widescreen. The clarity is so much better than on my large screen tv that now I find myself watching movies on my computer.

Also, games have begun supporting widescreen. That means you get more periferal vision. It makes games more immersive.

Also, your windows desktop is much better with a widesceen because you have more room.

Colour rendition is normally adjustable on a CRT screen and will depend on quality of tube, as a technology CRT has by definition got a better range of colours and better colour rendition than LCD. Running a colour adjust program can help you get more out of a CRT screen. Theres a reason why a good many broadcasting professionals still swear by CRT and colour rendition is one of them. a Lot of the same bunch still used Beta video machines up until the last couple of years as well :D 
May 31, 2007 3:17:43 PM

I would for sure get the best monitor I can afford. The monitors get replaced much slower and it's what you need to look at.
The video cards get much better every year.
May 31, 2007 3:30:51 PM

Quote:

I think he's a proctologist because he's talking out of his butt.

There's no sense arguing as I'm sure most people here never owned an Aperture Grill based professional monitor. Viewsonic P Series? Sony Trinitron? Mitsubishi Diamondtron. I seriously doubt many here owned those.

They are comparing the bargain basement 17" shadow mask monitor they owned to the LCDs they see today. Ignorance is bliss...
May 31, 2007 3:55:22 PM

Well I have a VG2230wm flat screen although the picture is clear and crisp at 1680X1050 I still would have to say that my 19 inch CRT which was also a Viewsonic has a much better picture and could display much higher resolutions than the 22" flatscreen. I think in order for you to get a flat screen that will do the same resolutions as a CRT your going to have to dish out some hefty bucks. That is my opinion and you know there like a$$holes everyones got one. My son said that I would have to pry his cold dead hands off the 19"CRT to get it back from him.
May 31, 2007 6:21:12 PM

Quote:

DUDE, its a philips, they are some of the worse LCD in the world, even a 6 years old 15" crt can beat that rubish LCD.

Surely LG-Philips are not NECs, or Eizos but they are far from being horrible. And I have never, ever seen an LCD, be it Eizo, NEC, Dell or whatever that can even come close to a Trinitron or a Diamdtron CRT. DTQ in his posts underlines the reasons.

Cheers
!