TimesTwo

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
specs are pentium dual-core945 @3.4ghz/4gb RAM pc6400(appearing as 3.4ghz)/ geforce9600gt.... i am using windowsXPpro32, my question is if i run vista64, am i going to have a better gaming experience than what i have right now on XP32?

games that i usually play: COD4&5, GTA4, FEAR2, fallout3, nfs carbon&undercover and a lot more

thanks

Solution

Yea, 7 is just a more polished version of Vista but this is a good thing because Vista is actually a very good OS which only needed more polish to be a great OS. It...

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006

Make sure your motherboard/processor supports it you will find out very quick once the installer starts, it will do a test. I have never used a Pentium D only core 2's.

Quite simply 64bit vista, make sure sp1 is already on the install disc, sp1 for it or it won't even install with 4gb of ram, it will blue screen during the install process.

In order for the system to use and recognize the 4gb of ram you need 64bit, however none of those games will need or use 4gb of ram, so you will see no difference in gaming performance. However with games like Supreme commander, which is quite simply the most ram/processor intense game in existence, you won't notice anything at all.

I have been using 64bit windows for a year now, and there are very few if any issues. At least not after sp1.

Hope this helps.

TimesTwo

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Quite simply 64bit
vista, make sure sp1 is already on the install disc, sp1 for it or it won't even install with 4gb of ram

What do u mean by this?... This is the Vista that i have: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM

My Proc supports 64-bit, my board is asus p5vd2-mx, i dont know if it supports it.

talk about ram, does the 4gb help in cases like playing games at the same time doing something in windows like listenin to music or running some other programs or it does NOT help at all?... is putting a high RAM only for overclocking the processor?

thanks

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I can't tell if your being sarcastic or are just really new at this.

A, ok you have an up to date version of windows vista, you should be good.
B. I am not sure if your sytem completely, you just have to try it out and see.
C. 2gb's of ram would be enough to run a game and listen to music at the same time. In fact you could probably run a few dozen programs in the back round, it all depends though on hard drive access or if your doing file compression or something else that is extremely processor intensitive, but then again that might not even an issue on today's systems with multiple cores, gigabytes of ram etc.

A large amount of ram has absolutely nothing to do with overclocking the processor, the speed does however though, overclocing the processor can cause the ram speed to overclock as well, if its a sync bus. But im guessing that is outside the scope of this question.

Point is, go 64bit, especially if you have the disc already and 4gb' s of ram. You should be fine, and

PoPoH

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Hi,

Think about upgrading to a x64 system for being able to get that extra unused 1Gig RAM.

The fact is not that much software running in 64 bit, mostly runs emulated on my system (8Gb ram vista home premium x64) and this makes processes more memory hungry. A 32 bit process running in a x64 environment eats more ram than in a x86 environment.

Perhaps you should consider upgrading Vista x86 if u want to experience DX10 or other performance.

I upgraded to 8Gb to avoid memory shortage with Vista, as depending on what use you do with ur comp, it takes up really hard. However, I really think is a waste of money, I've got servers at workplace with 8Gb RAM running 6 Virtual Machines under Windows server 2003.

My advice is Getting Vista x86 installed (same serial should work if oem), and give it a try... In some games I got slight performance when I upgraded...

Luck mate,

TimesTwo

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
sir, im just new to this im tryin to learn it. no sarcasm, im positive.

Then what is the purpose of putting 6 or 8gb of RAM in the system? i know this is out of the scope, but i just want to know how it works.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
He was referring to upgrading to vista, just the 32 bit version if you wanted to, if for no other reason, then to get the dx10.

Personally, I wouldn't respond to that post, it seemed uninformed, confusing and just weird.

There is NO reason to not upgrade to vista 64bit, oem's are now pushing it by default so customers can use the 4gb's of ram.

There WERE, issues with 64bit software in the past, but I personally have found zero issues, I use everyday software including numerosu games and have zero issues.

If there is a usage of ram problem eh, you have 4gb's so I think your good. My windows uses up on average about 30 percent, that leaves 70 percent of 4gb's for applications.

It really isn't a problem, go for 64bit, it gives EVERYTHING 32bit does and adds the full support for 4gb's or more of ram.

Just do some simple research on vista 64bit via google. OEM's wouldn't be making it the default operating system on current systems if it wasn't ready for prime time or had issues with software as it once did.

Just do it.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Every system I had it would not run unless I took a stick of ram out pre sp1. But, he seems to have a sp1 version of the os install dvd, so I guess that is irrelevant.

Glad someone agrees on the 32bit software running falwlessly, I am sure there are a lot of people out there who still thinks vista is an unstable pos os as it was on day 1, but that isn't the case either, but as they say, you can only make a first impression once, and from then on you pretty much just have to start over.

I bet windows 7 gets a great flawless reception, and its based on vista.

TimesTwo

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

im coming from xp-pro32, will it be faster?

UNICOMPLEX

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Well put it this way I went from XP PRO to vista and I have never looked back,
XP pro just looks a bit boring now when I see it on a system, and will it be faster ? some people I know said they thought it slowed there system down, but they were only running 1GB of ram at the time,
When I went to vista OS I also built a new PC at the same time with 3GB of ram a AMD 6000+ Dual core CPU, and thought it ran quite fast, I never noticed any slow down,
So user TimesTwo go for it, I cant see you been dissapointed with Vista, it may seem a little strange at first but you will get used to it and enjoy it.

Yea, 7 is just a more polished version of Vista but this is a good thing because Vista is actually a very good OS which only needed more polish to be a great OS. It was plagued by early support/driver issues which spoiled it's reception - after that, even after Vista was running great, there were enough Linux/Mac fan boys out there too intentionally spread the FUD and of course the hundreds of millions Apple spent to smear Vista on TV. Far too many so called tech experts were spreading myths too because the notion that Vista sucked got established and they were too lazy to try it in depth themselves and just ran copycat blogs about it. Also many were no doubt afraid they would get ridiculed by the shallow tech 'elite' out there in Cali and NYC where Apple is a full-on cult. This may sound cynical but I watched this very closely throughout the Vista age and it's all true.

I've been on this board here from day one and helped countless people with issues which turned out to have nothing to do with the OS but got BLAMED on the OS because of the paranoia about it.

Vista 64 is now the OS of choice for gamers and enthusiasts and generally for anyone in the know about current tech trends. This is all anyone really needs to know - 'just do it', as I think you may have said above.

About the 4 gig bug. If we are talking about the same bug - there was a bug, anything 3 gig or above would hang or bluescreen on install but it only affected some mobos with a certain controller - or so the details specify in the MS article. Anyway I installed with 8 gig just fine on the RTM version and many have done so here as well over the years so I know it often works but it is still a safe policy to install with 2 gig anyway.

Solution