Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Toshiba 30HF83 & 1.33:1 DVDs

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:24:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hi all.

An odd problem---

I'm watching the truly stunning new DVD of "Gone With The Wind." The
DVD player is the Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, set for a 16:9 monitor.
When I set the "picture size" to 'natural' to give a true 4:3 (i.e.
academy 1.33:1) image, I get light-gray cropping down the sides. The
Toshiba is doing this; not he DVD player.

This is very distracting.

Does anyone know if it is possible to make it black on the sides? I've
poked around in the various menus, but can't seem to change it. Maybe
you can't...

pondering,

Josiah

More about : toshiba 30hf83 dvds

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:24:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

It's doing this to prevent "burn in" associated with watching 4:3 programing
on a 16:9 monitor. By doing this, you'll get an even 'burn' on the screen.
Sorry, but I cannot help with turning it off....

Tim


"Josiah Gluck" <josiah@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:josiah-DFF61A.17333009012005@nyctyp02-ge0.rdc-nyc.rr.com...
> Hi all.
>
> An odd problem---r
>
> I'm watching the truly stunning new DVD of "Gone With The Wind." The
> DVD player is the Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, set for a 16:9 monitor.
> When I set the "picture size" to 'natural' to give a true 4:3 (i.e.
> academy 1.33:1) image, I get light-gray cropping down the sides. The
> Toshiba is doing this; not he DVD player.
>
> This is very distracting.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to make it black on the sides? I've
> poked around in the various menus, but can't seem to change it. Maybe
> you can't...
>
> pondering,
>
> Josiah
January 10, 2005 1:24:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Josiah Gluck wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> An odd problem---
>
> I'm watching the truly stunning new DVD of "Gone With The Wind." The
> DVD player is the Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, set for a 16:9 monitor.
> When I set the "picture size" to 'natural' to give a true 4:3 (i.e.
> academy 1.33:1) image, I get light-gray cropping down the sides. The
> Toshiba is doing this; not he DVD player.
>
> This is very distracting.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to make it black on the sides? I've
> poked around in the various menus, but can't seem to change it. Maybe
> you can't...
>
> pondering,
>
> Josiah
Hi,

If you;re asking about changing the gray bars to black see this post
from the AVS forums. They say it works for Toshiba TVs also.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread...

Sharon
Related resources
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:24:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Josiah Gluck" <josiah@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:josiah-DFF61A.17333009012005@nyctyp02-ge0.rdc-nyc.rr.com...
> Hi all.
>
> An odd problem---
>
> I'm watching the truly stunning new DVD of "Gone With The Wind." The
> DVD player is the Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, set for a 16:9 monitor.
> When I set the "picture size" to 'natural' to give a true 4:3 (i.e.
> academy 1.33:1) image, I get light-gray cropping down the sides. The
> Toshiba is doing this; not he DVD player.

Josiah...don't quite understand why you would need to change the picture
aspect ratio (size) on your monitor? If the disc is 4:3 which IMDB says it
is, television is a 16:9 set and your DVD player is set for 16:9... you
should be seeing 4:3 properly when your television is in it's 16:9 mode. You
should not have to change a thing. I don't have the same equipment as you
do, but the basic principals should be the same. Out of curiousity you may
want to check out an alternate connection scheme or line doubling scheme to
see what difference it makes. If you are using component connections, try
using the S-video. If you are letting the player line double to progressive,
try outputting interlaced and let your television do the line doubling or
vice versa.

Charlie "Duke's old friend" Tomaras
Seattle, WA
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:24:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Charles Tomaras wrote:
> "Josiah Gluck" <josiah@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:josiah-DFF61A.17333009012005@nyctyp02-ge0.rdc-nyc.rr.com...
>> Hi all.
>>
>> An odd problem---
>>
>> I'm watching the truly stunning new DVD of "Gone With The Wind." The
>> DVD player is the Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, set for a 16:9 monitor.
>> When I set the "picture size" to 'natural' to give a true 4:3 (i.e.
>> academy 1.33:1) image, I get light-gray cropping down the sides. The
>> Toshiba is doing this; not he DVD player.
>
> Josiah...don't quite understand why you would need to change the
> picture aspect ratio (size) on your monitor? If the disc is 4:3 which
> IMDB says it is, television is a 16:9 set and your DVD player is set
> for 16:9... you should be seeing 4:3 properly when your television is
> in it's 16:9 mode. You should not have to change a thing. I don't
> have the same equipment as you do, but the basic principals should be
> the same. Out of curiousity you may want to check out an alternate
> connection scheme or line doubling scheme to see what difference it
> makes. If you are using component connections, try using the S-video.
> If you are letting the player line double to progressive, try
> outputting interlaced and let your television do the line doubling or
> vice versa.
> Charlie "Duke's old friend" Tomaras
> Seattle, WA

I believe he wants to change the gray bars to black, not change the AR....
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:44:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 20:12:39 -0700, Sharon <me7@privacy.net> wrote:

>
>
>Josiah Gluck wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> An odd problem---
>>
>> I'm watching the truly stunning new DVD of "Gone With The Wind." The
>> DVD player is the Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai, set for a 16:9 monitor.
>> When I set the "picture size" to 'natural' to give a true 4:3 (i.e.
>> academy 1.33:1) image, I get light-gray cropping down the sides. The
>> Toshiba is doing this; not he DVD player.
>>
>> This is very distracting.
>>
>> Does anyone know if it is possible to make it black on the sides? I've
>> poked around in the various menus, but can't seem to change it. Maybe
>> you can't...
>>
>> pondering,
>>
>> Josiah
>Hi,
>
>If you;re asking about changing the gray bars to black see this post
>from the AVS forums. They say it works for Toshiba TVs also.
>http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread...
>
>Sharon


that's for the comcast box.

for the google folks:

Change those gray sidebars to black on the JVC hd61z585.
I found this little jem on another forum so I thought I would share. I
tried it and it works for me. It will only help Comcast users, but if
you have Comcast as your provider, (I am using the 6142) you can go
into the menu settings, (power off and then hit menu) select 4:3
Override, select setting to "OFF", then power the box back on and
behold!!! Your JVC will now do all the upscaling with the advantage of
showing ALL 4:3 broadcasts with BLACK sidebars
!