Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Security Tool Rogue Anti-Virus Help?

Last response: in Applications
December 2, 2009 5:04:25 PM

Hey everyone!

I was multitasking and acidentally downloaded something (wasn't paying attention) and I think it turned out to be Security Tool :pfff:  . Eventually the "virus!" pop-ups started to appear. So I got instructions and got rid of it via Malwarebytes and HijackThis. Ran it in safe mode, etc. But some post I have seen say once that is all done to do a system restore. I beleive I have gotten the files which make security tool actually activate on my PC off, so is a system restore really necessary?

Excuse my spelling, very tired at the moment :D 

Thanks!

Best solution

a b 8 Security
December 2, 2009 7:58:53 PM

malwarebytes does a great job,you should be fine!
a b 8 Security
December 2, 2009 8:11:39 PM

The system restore isn't needed if malwarebytes took care of the problem. There'd be no point in running an antimalware program, if you were just going to run a system restore after.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2009 12:39:16 AM

Yeah, but what's the chance of certain binary keys, etc. being left in the registery?

I've been looking around and found a file in Software under HKEY_CURRENT_USter -> Software called SecuROM. Under it, there's a file named !CAUTION! NEVER DELETE OR CHANGE ANY KEY and License Information. I can't delete or touch either file and don't remember it being there previously + A file with that kind of name seems suspicious.
m
l
a b 8 Security
December 6, 2009 2:37:34 AM

its not a bad key ,it is supposed to be there!
m
l
!