fastest processor speed for a 4coredualvsta MB?

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
What's the fastest C2D processor that will run on a 4coredualvsta board - I don't know how to tell!!

If you could also tell me how I find out so I know the full range of compatible processors that would be great.

Thanks

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
What's the fastest C2D processor that will run on a 4coredualvsta board - I don't know how to tell!!

If you could also tell me how I find out so I know the full range of compatible processors that would be great.

Thanks
As of now... the X6800 for dual-core, and the QX6700 for quad. Here's the 4CoreDual-VSTA CPU support list. GL :)

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Thanks - sorry for the lack of understanding but any chance of explaining the dual/quad bit and how this relates to the 4coredualvsta motherboard - I take it this motherboard supports both types of cpu?

Thanks again.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Thanks - sorry for the lack of understanding but any chance of explaining the dual/quad bit and how this relates to the 4coredualvsta motherboard - I take it this motherboard supports both types of cpu?

Thanks again.
Yes, it does. It supports Single-core(P4, Celeron D), Dual-core(Pentium D, Core2Duo), and Quad-core(Core2Quad). It also supports DDR or DDR2(up to 2GB of either...2x1GB) memory, and supports AGP 8x or PCI-e(only runs @ x4) graphics interface. :wink:

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Many thanks.

I'm going for the E6600 - money/speed I reckon this is the best for me - according to the chart from the above link this should work - anything I should know i.e. BIOS updates or setting jumpers or anything like that? Its bee a few years since I've built a new system!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Many thanks.

I'm going for the E6600 - money/speed I reckon this is the best for me - according to the chart from the above link this should work - anything I should know i.e. BIOS updates or setting jumpers or anything like that? Its bee a few years since I've built a new system!
Nope, i have (basically)the same board...the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA(only differnence is that it doesn't support quad-core) with an E6600....DDR400, and AGP video card....works great. The only complaint about the board is that it really can't utilize the C2D's awesome overclocking abilities(max FSB is in the 295-300MHz area...even though BIOS goes to 340)which i was fully aware of when i bought it. I run my E6600@ 2674(297x9)...24/7 and it runs cool and fast. There are a few little tweaks that can be done to get as close to 300FSB as possible(some will only hit mid-high 280's without tweaks)...so if you get one, just ask and there will be lots of know-how in here. GL :)

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Many thanks and good to know about the overclocking abilities- I have never overclocked as yet and the board only cost £39 so I'm happy with what I get from stock - should see a big difference from the AMD 64 3000+ anyway!

Thanks again.

motto

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
damn right!

Well I've bought the E6600 and the board, still to put them together, can't wait to see the difference over the old AMD 64 3000+. The versatility of the board will also allow me to swap for a PCIE card in the future, alright for £39!

raytracer06

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
it's indeed a good mobo... I have the former version (775 Dual VSTA) and it works great, except 2 things :

1) I must enable the Flexibility option to keep my system stable, so my ram runs at 800MHz instead of 1066. however, it doesn't seem to have a huge impact on performance for my C2D E6300

2) The 4x PCI-E port seems to have trouble with some recent cards. it used to work fine with a crappy radeon X600SE, but my new GF8600gts displays artifacts in some games, and I have strange crashes when playing video. I suspected a faulty graphics card, but it ran fine on a friend's P5B. seems the 8600gts is somehow bottlenecked by the 4x PCI-E port, and it doesn't like that... I'll post a thread about it in the graphics card section.

except that, this little asrock card is great for a soft transition to C2D.

I also heard it can handle simultaneously AGP & PCI-E.

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
it's indeed a good mobo... I have the former version (775 Dual VSTA) and it works great, except 2 things :

1) I must enable the Flexibility option to keep my system stable, so my ram runs at 800MHz instead of 1066. however, it doesn't seem to have a huge impact on performance for my C2D E6300

4CoredualVSTA is a little better overclocker than the 775 Dual VSTA and a bit more stable too. Anyway in most cases running the memory 1:1 increases the speed and the stability of the system.

2) The 4x PCI-E port seems to have trouble with some recent cards. it used to work fine with a crappy radeon X600SE, but my new GF8600gts displays artifacts in some games, and I have strange crashes when playing video. I suspected a faulty graphics card, but it ran fine on a friend's P5B. seems the 8600gts is somehow bottlenecked by the 4x PCI-E port, and it doesn't like that... I'll post a thread about it in the graphics card section.

That is true. No problem with Nvidia 7xxx though, nor Ati 1xxx.

except that, this little asrock card is great for a soft transition to C2D.

I couldn't agree more!

I also heard it can handle simultaneously AGP & PCI-E.

It can. For better results though, you would have to use cards that operate on the same driver, either both ATI or both Nvidia based.

You can install any current dual or quad core.

TRENDING THREADS