Newb post OC'ing questions

mpclark31

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
Hello all! First time poster, but I've lurked for a while. I recently picked up an E6600, Scythe Infinity, 2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2 6400, Gigabyte 965P-DS3, OCZ GameXstream and an 8800GTS 320MB card and tucked them into an Antec 900 case. It was my first "true" build. I read wusy's guide to overclocking and everything seemingly went well. I left Prime95 running for nearly 27 hours, I received a "hardware" error. To this point I've had no BSOD's or random reboots. Any idea what would have caused that to happen after such a long time or is that not that long of a test? Also, are the Intel TAT temps reliable? It sounded rather low because idle was in the 20's C and load (well, while running Prime95) was in the mid to upper 30's C. I used AS5 but I couldn't believe how low the temps were. Is Prime95 a good test for load? Would a running game, which is mainly what this PC will be used for, be a better test? Lastly, if I were to have issues with the overclock and decided to go back to default, does the BIOS reset to defaults typically reset everything to the way it was when I was first booted?

Thanks for your help and answers!

Cheers,
Mike

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
what specific "hardware" error did you encounter? - i.e. - the effect and its supposed resolution.

tat temps arent as accurate as most would like. Prime 95 is what I use for stress testing; I perfer blend as it also taxes the memory. you can also throw in loops of 3Dmark 05 or 06 to further test stability. if you reset the bios, it goes back to the default hardware settings... example: voltage, timings, boot sequence etc etc... it doesnt wipe the format(s) on your HDD if thats what you were thinking

mpclark31

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
Sorry for the delay in responding! The exact error was:

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4999742508, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

Would I be safer just skipping overclocking? Will I notice an "significant" change to gaming with the E6600 overclocked to 3GHz versus stock speeds?

Any help you guys can give is always appreciated!

Mike

EDIT: I forgot to say that there was no bluescreen or anything. Prime95 just stopped working. Outside of that error, the PC appeared to be running normal.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
depends.... stock to 3.0ghz if your benchmarking will see some significant gains; perhaps in certain or most gaming scenerio's....other than that you wont see the biggest difference in normal day to day activities.