Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Linux for kids? Efficient Linux printers?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Share
September 12, 2012 8:19:26 PM

Hi guys, long time no see lol, I'm basically building this computer for the sake of a music playback, homework assignments, and assorted kid stuff for my younger sisters. I'm buying a barebones kit and skipping out on the buying windows. $99 just for one use is pretty annoying although I could just clone the drive once windows is installed but anyway. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna install Ubuntu or Mint for easy of use but is it easy enough for children between 6 and 13? There was talk about adding a printer so I'm gonna need to find an efficient linux capable printer. Any advice guys?

Best solution

September 12, 2012 11:26:36 PM
Share

My 4 year old gets around in Linux Mint just fine. I showed here where her stuff was (kids games and such) and she gets around on her own now. If they are into technology at all then I think Mint will be easy for them.

Personally I think its harder for people that have been using Windows for years. You always try to do Windows stuff. Kids don't have that.

As far as printers, I have my newer Wireless HP printer working without any hassle. I just added a network printer and Linux did the rest. I would argue that it was easier than doing it in Windows. And I doubt you will have to go find a specific one. If you are in the market for a new printer, then just google it first and see if others have had luck with Linux.
September 13, 2012 1:46:35 PM

I think Ubuntu and Mint will be no problem for the 13 year old. (She will probably be better at it than you within a few weeks!). Your 6 year old may need some help getting started, but there are good educational packages out there such as GCompris that you can easily install in Ubuntu or Mint.

Ubuntu's interface is a bit more like a Mac or tablet, where you launch programs with "buttons". Mint is more like a traditional Windows desktop.

I installed Doudou Linux on an old laptop for my 5 year old. It's basically a minimal kid-centered OS with a variety of kids games and nothing else. It is very kid-friendly and runs easily on the old computer, but it would not have the flexibility to run music or video for your 13 year old.
Related resources
September 13, 2012 6:06:47 PM

dmroeder said:
My 4 year old gets around in Linux Mint just fine. I showed here where her stuff was (kids games and such) and she gets around on her own now. If they are into technology at all then I think Mint will be easy for them.

Personally I think its harder for people that have been using Windows for years. You always try to do Windows stuff. Kids don't have that.

As far as printers, I have my newer Wireless HP printer working without any hassle. I just added a network printer and Linux did the rest. I would argue that it was easier than doing it in Windows. And I doubt you will have to go find a specific one. If you are in the market for a new printer, then just google it first and see if others have had luck with Linux.


Thanks for that. People say I try to push the "evil and demanding linux" on them a lot so I was wondering if this would be a good idea. As far as printers go I went through a similar hassle free install with. Simple plug in and installations of the drivers and voila. I'll go a head and order the kit and get most likely the newest mint over the newest ubuntu. But i don't know maybe they'll like unity. Thanks dmroeder!
September 13, 2012 6:13:24 PM

Aristotelian said:
I think Ubuntu and Mint will be no problem for the 13 year old. (She will probably be better at it than you within a few weeks!). Your 6 year old may need some help getting started, but there are good educational packages out there such as GCompris that you can easily install in Ubuntu or Mint.

Ubuntu's interface is a bit more like a Mac or tablet, where you launch programs with "buttons". Mint is more like a traditional Windows desktop.

I installed Doudou Linux on an old laptop for my 5 year old. It's basically a minimal kid-centered OS with a variety of kids games and nothing else. It is very kid-friendly and runs easily on the old computer, but it would not have the flexibility to run music or video for your 13 year old.

Thanks for that Aristotelian. It's really between whether Mint's gnome 2.x(been on Debian since gnome 3 spewed out from somewhere) and Ubuntu's unity interfaces. I've never heard of doudou linux, I may have to test that.

P.S Love the username, Aristotelian philosophy definitely intrigues me.
a b 5 Linux
September 13, 2012 8:47:06 PM

Fenrir190 said:
Hi guys, long time no see lol, I'm basically building this computer for the sake of a music playback, homework assignments, and assorted kid stuff for my younger sisters. I'm buying a barebones kit and skipping out on the buying windows. $99 just for one use is pretty annoying although I could just clone the drive once windows is installed but anyway. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna install Ubuntu or Mint for easy of use but is it easy enough for children between 6 and 13? There was talk about adding a printer so I'm gonna need to find an efficient linux capable printer. Any advice guys?


OS:
SolusOS http://wiki.solusos.com/index.php/Main_Page

[#ff0c00]Printer:[/#ff20c00]
Epson http://www.openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/Epson...

HP http://www.openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/HP
September 14, 2012 8:23:28 AM

Best answer selected by Fenrir190.
September 14, 2012 10:17:50 AM

Update: I tried SolusOS... I think I'm in love XD
!