Problem in installing ubuntu 12.04

shailu111

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
some 1 plz help me... i badly want ubuntu in my laptop , currently i got windows 7 in my laptop n now tried to install ubuntu by doing a 10 gb space partition(not NTFS) n tryd to install into it but the installation gets stuck in a stage of installation, my laptop is HCL got 320 gb , 4 gb ram , 512 mb nvidia graphic card .... wat shopuld i do plz let me knw

powerhouse32

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
A little more information would be helpful to point to the problem. Here is what is needed to get a better idea of the problem:

1. Exact hardware / laptop model, including the CPU specs.
2. You mention having a Nvidia card. Does the laptop use Nvidia "Optima" technology? This may be a problem or challenge later down the line.
3. Does your laptop use UEFI boot (or also known as EFI)? If so you need to boot Ubuntu live disk/USB in UEFI mode. When booting the laptop, hit whatever key that brings up the BIOS boot menu or the BIOS menu. In UEFI systems you should get two menu entries for your installation media: regular and UEFI...name of media. Choose the UEFI option to boot. If no UEFI option is listed and you are sure your computer uses it, you need to check the installation media for the /efi folder - if it's not there you need a different Ubuntu installation media or version, or create it in the correct way (this would be a little lengthy here).
4. Where during the install process does the installer stop? While partitioning, or copying files, or later? Make sure you have a working Internet connection while you install. You can test it on the life Ubuntu media by running Firefox and see if it loads web pages.

10GB for Ubuntu is a little on the low side. Actually it's probably much too small for any modern laptop. Here a small calculation to figure out the space requirements:

a) swap space: needs to be equal or bigger than system memory. Ubuntu will choose 4GB at least for swap, else you won't be able to hibernate the laptop.

b) I don't remember exactly but Ubuntu needs some 5-6GB for the root (/) file system. You should give it at least 7-8GB, better 10GB to be on the save side IF you use a separate /home partition. If not, you need to add your user space requirements (documents, video and/or music files, etc.). 5GB is about the minimum - you won't be able to store video files or any big files you may have or get over time.

c) If you want to have a separate /home directory, you need to specify that when it asks you about the partitioning scheme - Ubuntu offers a default or automatic option which should be fine. If you choose "custom" you need to know what you're doing and specify each partition. In the later case you can create a separate /home partition with the size you want. There are pros and cons for having a separate /home partition, but if you're new to Linux just use the default option.

As you can see, 10GB is not enough and this could well be the reason why Ubuntu quits.

You should have at least 15-20GB for Ubuntu.

Hope it helps, if not post some details.

shailu111

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
My laptop is HCL B38
* Intel® CoreTM2 Duo Processor T6500
* C2D T6500 (2.1 GHz, 800 MHz, 2 MB)
* Nvidia Geforce 8200 M G GPU based Chipset
* 4GB DDR2 memory
* 320 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive SATA
* DVD DL Super Multi Drive with DVD RAM Support
* Special Online Offer: Free MTV Bag Pack
* Wireless
* Bluetooth

i downloaded ubuntu os from ubuntu site n made the image into a bootable dics . wen i went for boot installation at first the ubuntu lading came up with 5 lights and then new appeard the Pink ubuntu theme screen but nothing on the screen i hope u understood , thn it was stuck there itself it didnt go any forther .......... i dont knw wat is the problem with this plz help me

shailu111

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
My laptop is HCL B38
* Intel® CoreTM2 Duo Processor T6500
* C2D T6500 (2.1 GHz, 800 MHz, 2 MB)
* Nvidia Geforce 8200 M G GPU based Chipset
* 4GB DDR2 memory
* 320 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive SATA
* DVD DL Super Multi Drive with DVD RAM Support
* Special Online Offer: Free MTV Bag Pack
* Wireless
* Bluetooth

i downloaded ubuntu os from ubuntu site n made the image into a bootable dics . wen i went for boot installation at first the ubuntu lading came up with 5 lights and then new appeard the Pink ubuntu theme screen but nothing on the screen i hope u understood , thn it was stuck there itself it didnt go any forther .......... i dont knw wat is the problem with this plz help me